first ever question - who can drive? (1 Viewer)

kevofcov

Free Member
Jun 8, 2017
uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi

Newbie with my first question.

I passed my test in ’82 so can drive anything up to 7.5 ton and can tow with little restriction. Over the years these permissions have been reduced down and down for new people passing their tests.

Will my offspring be able to drive my dream motorhome soon to be purchased? The vehicle will be very similar to a 2008 Auto Trail 840S 3 axle Ducato based (less than 3500kg I believe) My kids passed their tests in 2009 and 2010.

I don’t want to buy and then find that they cannot drive the vehicle.

Any help is appreciated.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
As above when it comes to entitlement ...... but at less than 3500 kg is there enough payload to make it practicable ?

There are only two of us and we had our up-plated as with kayaks and cycles and all the gear we needed the extra allowance.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If your children took their test relatively recently they won't have the C1 endorsement so won't be able to drive anything over 3500kg.

OP
OP
K

kevofcov

Free Member
Jun 8, 2017
uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Brilliant thanks.

As long as I purchase below 3500kg gross then all is well for all of us.

Thanks for your help

Regards Kev

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
fifth wheeler is the way forward . or a mini artic .
but for the young they would have to take the b+e test.
but if they took the b+e before 19th jan 2013 there was no trailer weight limit only the trainweight of towing vehicle .
all food for thought.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Brilliant thanks.

As long as I purchase below 3500kg gross then all is well for all of us.

Thanks for your help

Regards Kev

But how do you know what your gross weight will be (and if 3500kg is adequate) until you load up and take it to a weighbridge?

Never trust a dealer when he gives you the weight of the vehicle, insist on a proper weighbridge ticket - then add on the weight of driver, passengers, all your clothes, pots, pans, food, water, fuel and gas.

Sorry to sound negative but if you are overweight and caught you will be sorry. More and more vehicles are being checked - and found to be overweight.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
As mentioned already no way will a tag (ie 3 axle) MH be under 3500kg.

As for others that are sub 3500kg make sure there is sufficient payload within that figure, at least 400kg so long as they aren't 'heavy people' - as you'll be buying second hand you should insist on a weigh-bridge ticket to check the payload. Also make sure it has genuine travel seats and not side-facing sofas which are not meant to be used for travel. You might also want to check out the insurance situation too as, depending on their ages, they may not be able to be added to yours, or the cost could be astronomical.

If your kids have kids then you need to also consider how they will be safely secured for travel as not all MHs make it easy to fit kiddie seats.

One final comment ... are you SURE your kids will want to use it and that you want them to use it? If you think their use will be very little then buy what you want and if they can use it then so be it ... we've bought in the past so that we could accommodate taking parents out in it and it rarely happened, but we had to 'live' with the layout when we used it so our priorities really were the wrong way round.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Another alternative is that you use a car as well as the motorhome.

We often go on holiday with a family member who meet us on site. That works really well as we tend to stay on a site that charges by the unit (one van is one unit) rather than the number of occupants. Cheap accommodation for them and use of a car and driver for us. With children you might not want to be moving on every night or two.

If your family want to use the van (and you are happy for them to do so) then you could drive it to wherever (okay it is more of a caravan holiday than motorhome touring) and then they meet you at the site for hand over.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Just checked the spec for the 2007/2008 tag axle Cheyenne 840s and its 5000kg with a 6000kg train weight so unfortunately your kids will have to catch a bus.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back