LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
There seems to be a lot of threads of late about people picking up and getting fines from foreign country`s ....

For mostly speeding....

And what to do about them....

Or I suppose how to wriggle out of paying...

Should we ignore them or what ever.... :nod::nod: :shake::shake:

I know we have all probably done it... home and abroad... and don`t like paying.... but....

Would it not be a lot easier to drive within the law what ever country you are in/visiting ????????

Problem solved... Discuss... :)

:whistle2::reel::imoutahere:

Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
@old-mo I don't get any fines since I added some graphics to my motorhome (y)

175198_1.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
It’s sensible to not speed, you wouldn’t do that in your own home village/town whatever......would you????
We move about quite a lot & I'm conscious of the fact that, apart from anything else, at that point in time this is my home.
I don’t want points on my licence either!

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
I think it’s "accidental" speeding that causes the most grief. With the best will in the world we all speed without intending to occasionally, like when you don’t see a speed reduction sign far enough ahead to allow you to slow in time and Mr Plod is waiting right behind it to catch the 376 other motorists who do the same thing in the next hour. Waiting at the bottom of hills is particularly spiteful as is Frances new speed change without sign change law. The only 100% safe remedy is to use a speed limiter at all times I guess?

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
Our beloved van only goes slooooooow , especially uphill. Ticket would be badge of honour ( only on m way - very conscious of need to be aware of children,pedestrians in built up areas. ) IMO speed is not the only contributor to accidents-and tickets are used by police to generate income , have friend who had a fine for driving 42 mph in 40 miles zone - know the law is the Law ( unless an ass) but not everyone who speeds is a danger to others

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
I can’t see how the French can fine you just because they have lowered the speed limit. But the signs are still old ones.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I think it’s "accidental" speeding that causes the most grief. With the best will in the world we all speed without intending to occasionally, like when you don’t see a speed reduction sign far enough ahead to allow you to slow in time and Mr Plod is waiting right behind it to catch the 376 other motorists who do the same thing in the next hour. Waiting at the bottom of hills is particularly spiteful as is Frances new speed change without sign change law. The only 100% safe remedy is to use a speed limiter at all times I guess?
No doubt you are right about people speeding accidentally.
However, if waiting at the bottom of hills to catch speeders is so prevalent then why don't those caught have the sense to slow down, knowing it is likely that a policeman is waiting?

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
How come the only people that say the law is an ass are law breakers? They're quite content to go about their everyday life and the law is on place to protect them but because they don't agree or break a particular law, then it's an ass? Hmmmmm?

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
I never intentionally speed but it's very easy to be caught out by "rules" in foreign lands:
20kph near pedestrian crossings BUT where does that end?
50kph through roadworks BUT where does it end?
"random" speed changes as you approach and pass a junction on a major road in the middle of nowhere :sneaky:. etc

My satnav (bought March 2018 and updated regularly) displayed incorrect speed limits approximately every 30mins whilst holidaying in Germany: sometimes they were higher than indicated by the satnav (annoying with the "over speed" alarm going off every 30s) and sometimes they were lower than indicated (worrying because I might be reacting to the wrong information, having failed to spot a real speed change indication). :(

At the end of the day, I would just have to suck it up BUT I might post on here asking if anyone knows of a reason for disputing the fine.:whistle:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
tickets are used by police to generate income
I've often seen similar statements but without any evidence to back them up.
If it is the case why don't we see far more regular police activity where significant numbers of drivers speed on a daily basis?

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I never intentionally speed but it's very easy to be caught out by "rules" in foreign lands:
20kph near pedestrian crossings BUT where does that end?
50kph through roadworks BUT where does it end?
"random" speed changes as you approach and pass a junction on a major road in the middle of nowhere :sneaky:. etc

My satnav (bought March 2018 and updated regularly) displayed incorrect speed limits approximately every 30mins whilst holidaying in Germany: sometimes they were higher than indicated by the satnav (annoying with the "over speed" alarm going off every 30s) and sometimes they were lower than indicated (worrying because I might be reacting to the wrong information, having failed to spot a real speed change indication). :(

At the end of the day, I would just have to suck it up BUT I might post on here asking if anyone knows of a reason for disputing the fine.:whistle:
Unfortunately you can't blame the sat nav. There is absolutely no substitute for obeying the signs. Sat navs, no matter how good are not infallible and they only give guidance.

Reactions: GJH

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
How come the only people that say the law is an ass are law breakers? They're quite content to go about their everyday life and the law is on place to protect them but because they don't agree or break a particular law, then it's an ass? Hmmmmm?
The law is an ass!!! (clean license, no convictions, never been in any bother in my life) speed limits in general are an ass, but that’s for another day!!

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
The law is an ass!!! (clean license, no convictions, never been in any bother in my life) speed limits in general are an ass, but that’s for another day!!
Sounds reasonable to go whatever speed you want to then. The speed limits are there, and enforced, for many reasons..
There is a very strong case for saying that speed doesn't kill, its bad driving that does. However, it's generally also not the speed but the lack of ability to stop too.
Similar position. Clean licences including LGV and PCV and no convictions and held for 46 years

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Yep , don't speed , don't get fined when caught .
John
Funny when I said that a few months back I got quite a lot of negative reactions which resulted in me being sent to Coventry for a month because I reacted verbally to those stupid people who believe speeding is not the cause of many accidents.. Yes they are ztiion this forum... :madder:

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Thread might be due to my post about a speeding fine from Italy. Just to be clear I do NOT habitually break speed limits, especially in the van and abroad, mainly because I'm in no hurry. In nearly 30 years of driving abroad this is the first fine I've had and was almost certainly due to a missed speed limit sign, for whatever reason be it poorly located, distraction or whatever. I'm pretty good at driving within the conditions on the road, often at much less than the posted limit, which to me however subjective is a better reason for controlling speed.

I know I was there and if a camera "got" me then I'll accept I was at fault - I don't need the hassle of trying to avoid the fine. I'll just take extra care in future.

And no @old-mo I'm not in any way "having a go" at anyone, I've got far too much respect for folk than that. :*

Sorry everyone - I'm a bit annoyed with myself so a tad sensitive. I'll get over it!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
How come the only people that say the law is an ass are law breakers?
It's an ass & no I'm not a law breaker:)

There is absolutely no substitute for obeying the signs.
If they exist ? I drove 000's of kms in the UK this spring/summer , & found , as I have posted previously, that many signs do not exist?
Once you notice that the limit has somehow changed & you haven't seen a sign ? I've even been back to look & no they do not exist ? Then there are repeaters more that are notable by there abscence?

If councils /highways departments/police are going to fine you then the least they can do is ensure that the signage is legal & correct. It is the hypocritical attitude of all 3 lots that will & have stated that "lack of signage doesn't matter as you were speeding anyway " ????????
You probably wouldn't have been if there had been signs.
When it is all legal & correct I haven't a problem but when all the above take a couldn't care less attitude to the signage whilst dishing out fines, which in many cases are illegal, then I will continue to treat them as the scum they are.:mad:

for whatever reason be it poorly located, distraction or whatever.
Or maybe, like in the UK , it didn't exist ?

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Funny when I said that a few months back I got quite a lot of negative reactions which resulted in me being sent to Coventry for a month because I reacted verbally to those stupid people who believe speeding is not the cause of many accidents.. Yes they are ztiion this forum... :madder:
Speeding alone is NOT the cause of many accidents, however the speed maintained does determine the severity.

German autobahns are the safest roads in Europe and quite often without speed limits.

Our speed limits were introduced when the cars were Morris minors and minis etc with drum brakes were on the road, and I’ll tell you something for nothing modern cars can stop in half the distance of those, so please don’t go on about speed alone killing people.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007

If they exist ? I drove 000's of kms in the UK this spring/summer , & found , as I have posted previously, that many signs do not exist?
Once you notice that the limit has somehow changed & you haven't seen a sign ? I've even been back to look & no they do not exist ? Then there are repeaters more that are notable by there abscence?

If councils /highways departments/police are going to fine you then the least they can do is ensure that the signage is legal & correct. It is the hypocritical attitude of all 3 lots that will & have stated that "lack of signage doesn't matter as you were speeding anyway " ????????
When it is all legal & correct I haven't a problem but when all the above take a couldn't care less attitude to the signage whilst dishing out fines, which in many cases are illegal, then I will continue to treat them as the scum they are.:mad:

Perhaps a re reading of the Highway Code might help.
However, ignorance is no defence.
I don't think you need to get personal over this. All I'm doing is saying that the law is there to protect us all, irrespective if it isn't bespoke to an individual

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
On my recent trip to Italy and back via Swiss Austria and Germany France. I believe I got flashed twice havnt heard anything as yet though. One was in an empty long tunnel other was in middle of nowhere so time will tell. I haven't has speeding ticket for many many years I usually just go with the flow. I did however notice many cameras in Italy this year or was I being extra cautious.
Still be interesting to see if you can swerve the penalty tbh

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We like to think we drive with in the speed limit here in Spain....the signs clearly states 120kph on Autovias and Autopistas....and that's why we see so many motorhomes with GB, D,F and Nl stickers on their rear....enjoying the freedom to drive at the correct speed limit....there am I tootleing along at 100kph, saving fuel and staying within the law ...so the sign states 120.... who's right and who's wrong, who drives at 120kph in a Motorhome, who's been ticketed.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
When it is all legal & correct I haven't a problem but when all the above take a couldn't care less attitude to the signage whilst dishing out fines, which are illegal, then I will continue to treat them as the scum they are.:mad:
Of course signs, where required, must meet legal requirements but I wonder how accurate your assertions are? Illegal signs provide a defence against a charge of speeding as this case demonstrated several years ago.
Councils and highway departments do not fine people for speeding so that is certainly an inaccurate statement. Ergo they can hardly "take a couldn't care less attitude to the signage whilst dishing out fines"
Whilst some signage is inaccurate (which may very well be because of damage by a third party), having worked with LA traffic departments I also doubt that it is true to say that signage is illegal "in many cases". More likely to be a minority of cases.
If in doubt of the limit on a particular road then the golden rule, surely, is to err on the side of caution and slow down, isn't it?

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Of course signs, where required, must meet legal requirements but I wonder how accurate your assertions are? Illegal signs provide a defence against a charge of speeding as this case demonstrated several years ago.
Doesn’t seem to be the case in France (so I’m led to believe)

Deleted User

There is no legal requirement for repeater warnings in 30mph restricted zones in the UK.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back