Fiat/Pug 5th gear.......pre-emptive strike??? (1 Viewer)

Bill and Tracey

Free Member
Mar 12, 2018
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autostratus CK2000
Exp
3 years on a STEEP learning curve
How do!! Our van has just ticked over to 56k. Came back from Beddgelert at the weekend, didn't miss a beat. Since I've the time to kill til next outing I'm wondering if I should hit the 5th cog before it hits us. YouTube says it's an easy fix, even at the side of the road(which it will be). Your opinion would be helpful. Thanx

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
How do!! Our van has just ticked over to 56k. Came back from Beddgelert at the weekend, didn't miss a beat. Since I've the time to kill til next outing I'm wondering if I should hit the 5th cog before it hits us. YouTube says it's an easy fix, even at the side of the road(which it will be). Your opinion would be helpful. Thanx
is it broken if not don't try to fix it
bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Why do you think it`s going to fail ? What year is it.
Mines a 2003 2.8 JTD and I`m reliably informed it was only a problem on gearbox`s prior to mine.
If it ain`t broke don`t fix it

Welcome to the forum by the way

OP
OP
Bill and Tracey

Bill and Tracey

Free Member
Mar 12, 2018
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
Exp
The van was registered in May 2000 and it's been a while since I had a play underneath. Itchy fingers :)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
The van was registered in May 2000 and it's been a while since I had a play underneath. Itchy fingers :)
just check the oil maybe change it if you run in 4th gear till everything warms up it should be ok
bill

OP
OP
Bill and Tracey

Bill and Tracey

Free Member
Mar 12, 2018
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
Exp
Was wondering if I should change the cog as they're a common fault but at 160ish quid, expensive. 2.7 litres of oil will suit my wallet perfectly. Thanks again

OP
OP
Bill and Tracey

Bill and Tracey

Free Member
Mar 12, 2018
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
Exp
Plenty of people on internet land saying half a litre too much. One way to find out.

OP
OP
Bill and Tracey

Bill and Tracey

Free Member
Mar 12, 2018
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
Exp
Okey dokey. Just found out...2 litres for the 4 speed box and 2.75 for the 5 speed. Then another 0.5 litre for luck. That should give me something to do next weekend. Also a 5th gear kit of eBay is 180 quid. Cog, various bits and sealant. Might start saving.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Which engine / year combinations are prone to 5th gear failure?

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I'd leave well alone unless it's playing up. These motors are capable of 10,000's of miles, they just need the right maintenance. Think the 5th is splash lubricated, hence it's possible failure if constantly selected without any lube. Guess it's down to driving style and knowledge.

Best advice is to stay in fourth gear and don't change up to 5th unless absolutely necessary. I use the engine temp gauge as a rule of thumb. If it's moving and the engines warmed up, only then do I select 5th, as hopefully the gear oil will have also had sufficient time to warm a little and also splash the 5th gear.

I also added a Slick50 gear additive to mine. Just popped it in on the gear oil change.

OP
OP
Bill and Tracey

Bill and Tracey

Free Member
Mar 12, 2018
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
Exp
Recently swapped the fuel filter and it made a huge difference in engine power. So now I'm not having to bounce the needle before hitting the top notch. I always wait til the temp gauge is at a quarter/third before doing so. And at the slightest incline I leave it in 4th.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
On a serious note,it would be good to get a definitive guide on the Ducato gearbox for each year of manufacture. There are lots of existing threads on the subject.
When I queried about mine,on the 2006 2.8jtd I was reliably informed that the gearbox is sealed for life and shouldn’t be touched.
Certainly nowt in the handbook about oil change or top up.
I stay in 4th until it’s all warmed up,and nurse her along a bit.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
It`s not sealed for life but gearbox oil change is not a service item so is only changed when necessary.
New clutch / gearbox etc.
Mine is 15 years old and probably on original oil and I had no idea of amount that was in so I decided to change it last month.
Easy to do and 2.5 litre came out so 2.7 went back in. Just a small amount of swarf on the magnet.
Worth doing at the age I think but no problems with gbox or clutch so far

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
The plot thickens! (probably whilst the oil thins,haha). Thank you for that info. I will check where I got my info from........may have got it wrong. I’m confused as to why there would be a drain plug if you don’t drain the oil on two wheel drive models. I didn’t even know there was such a thing as a four wheel drive Ducato.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
The plot thickens! (probably whilst the oil thins,haha). Thank you for that info. I will check where I got my info from........may have got it wrong. I’m confused as to why there would be a drain plug if you don’t drain the oil on two wheel drive models. I didn’t even know there was such a thing as a four wheel drive Ducato.
Found it!
What I was actually told,by a respected guy on here who repairs and maintains motorhomes was “ it will only need topping up if there is a leak”. Now then, given that my van is 12 years old,even a very small leak would,over a long period,mean that there is insufficient oil in the box. As I can’t find a way of getting anywhere near enough the gearbox to check if it’s leaked,I will ask the guys who will service it this year to check it and top up if necessary. Fiat dont make it easy though,do they. Surely it would be easier and more sensible just to have a dipstick....simples.
Thanks again.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
" God help you guy's when electric motor's become the norm , fortunately it won't affect me ."
they are already the norm ive got one that starts the van two to open and close the windows and several to alter the heater settings

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I see your point.
If I had the knowledge,experience,expertise,equipment and time,I would do the same. But as I don’t, I have to rely on the expertise of others,and pay them for it. So my skill has to be in my ability to judge how good those people are. Part of that process is learning from people on this forum,which I believe is very effective,even if lots of amateurs have differing views.
Thank you for your help.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back