Fiat Ducato, exhaust theft replacement advice

Joined
Aug 4, 2016
Posts
190
Likes collected
470
Location
Milton Keynes
Funster No
44,418
MH
Knaus Boxlife 600
Exp
since 1993
Opinions / advice.
Some not very bright thieves have stolen the rear part of the exhaust system on my 2022 Fiat Ducato based Knaus Boxlife campervan. Aside from the ‘Engine Check’ light illuminated on the dash, there was no other indication there was a problem, engine sounded normal, ran perfectly.
I had called out ‘ Fiat Roadside Assist’ . The technician plugged in his computer, came with a ‘DPF’ fault code. He advised a blast up and down the motorway to clear out any soot build up in the DPF. Performed as requested, ‘Engine Check’ light stayed on.

A week later, looking to set up an appointment with a Fiat Professional service garage, thought to have a look underneath. Discovered rear exhaust tailpipe + 2 sensors, cables cut off, from rear of DPF/Silencer.
As the cut sensor cables were still plugged into the van, the only item of saleable value would be the plain exhaust pipe, must be 2 - 3m long.

I have contacted one ‘Fiat Specialist’ here in Milton Keynes, he stated “ that’s an insurance job, you will have to replace the whole exhaust system, you won’t get the tailpipe on it’s own from Fiat“. Thousands of pounds mentioned. Hmmm

I have an almost complete exhaust system, catalytic converter, DPF silencer etc. Seemingly in very good condition.
The problem is the section of pipe on the back of the DPF / Silencer, cut off, that has the mounting bosses with the 2 sensors.
There is enough ‘meat’ on the exit pipe from the ‘DPF/Silencer’ for a fabricated bit of pipe with sensor mounting bosses to be welded on.
As I am debating whether to claim on insurance, or pay for it myself, any opinions / advice on who might be able to do this for me, near Milton Keynes.



IMG_0999.jpeg
 
I suspect that the intent was to steal the DPF at least, if not all of the exhaust. May have been disturbed mid-job and scarpered.
 
Last edited:
I suspect that the intent was to steal the DPF at least, if not all off the exhaust. May have been disturbed mid-job and scarpered.

That was my thinking as well.

I bought and fitted a Catloc which comes with an etching kit to our van a while back.
Vans and MH's make it easier for catalytic converters to be stolen as they are higher off the ground, so easier to get under to get the catalytic converter.

1788692174797.png

1788692185973.png
 
You posted the same thing last Wednesday....?
Did you not get the answer you're looking for....?
 
You posted the same thing last Wednesday....?
Did you not get the answer you're looking for....?
My main focus now is to get the missing exhaust bits replaced. Probably easily sourced, sensors and tailpipe. Fabricate and weld a bit of pipe onto DPF? My first encounter with a potential repair garage has not been positive, basically the mechanic said 'insurance job, replace everything' he said. If that is the case, no wonder our insurance premiums are so high. I can see an easy fix, if somebody can weld a bit of metal.
 
That was my thinking as well.

I bought and fitted a Catloc which comes with an etching kit to our van a while back.
Vans and MH's make it easier for catalytic converters to be stolen as they are higher off the ground, so easier to get under to get the catalytic converter.

View attachment 1255403
View attachment 1255404
That’s exactly why I drop the air when parked up at home👍👍👍
 
That’s exactly why I drop the air when parked up at home👍👍👍
The theft happened in a busy Costco car park. I know because I noticed the 'Engine Check' light when I was driving out of it. The engine has been sounding normal and has run perfectly ever since the light came up.
 
You would need too find an exhaust fabricator ,

And ask them the question is it possible too do such a thing....

And also the sensors would have too have some sort of nut welded across a hole too a new exhaust
and it being fitted in the appropriate place for gas flow across the tip.
Too high or to low in the pipe might be an issue...
as per the manufacturer's placement ..
 
Take a picture of what's left of your cut off exhaust would be nice too see..

To see if there's enough too weld too..
 
I'm cr@p at welding but knocked together much more complicated bits of exhaust in my shed so any fabricator that wants the job could easily do it.
 
Take a picture of what's left of your cut off exhaust would be nice too see..

To see if there's enough too weld too..
Could almost clamp a pipe onto it, but probably better to weld?
2nd picture (taken just after purchase of van) shows full tailpipe.



IMG_1002.jpeg

Fiat Exhaust.jpeg
 
Very neet cut.
Hope you have the electrical wiring out the way aswell.or else more melted problems.
Looking also at that I would expect an exhaust manufacturing
company can easily fix it...
Perhaps ring around and mention your problem and send them the pictures you have posted so
they can make an appraisal on the missing bit...
Also measure the outside diameter also,too see if they have the appropriate size..
 

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Log in

Already a member? Log in here.

Forum posts reflect the views of individual users and not MotorhomeFun.
MotorhomeFun does not endorse or verify user-generated content.

Back
Top