Fiat Ducato Conversion Re-call (1 Viewer)

Jeniflower

Free Member
May 8, 2021
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
HI All, Am new here, and total novice campervanner so please be gentle! I wonder if anyone has any info on following issue....? I have paid a deposit to a well known dealership for a brand new Fiat Ducato Van conversion (Weinsberg Carabus 600k) on 12th April after saving forever and waiting since last year for them to re-open with specific van reserved. A few days before collection Dealer emailed to say 'Due to re-call collection will be late', It was the first time I'd heard of it but since realise they must have known when they took my deposit. They say that the part is unavailable (Brexit and Virus etc), and they don't know when it will be available........ worst case scenario October! Dealer says the part it needs is a "a 6306 PM Sensor", but the recall I can find says it is a "Steering Knuckle" problem, are these the same? I am confused and don't know whether to wait or get my deposit back and look for something else - does anyone have any knowledge about these vans and issues?
Advice please.......:)

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018

October is a joke. IMHO ask for your deposit back. Sorry to hear of your plight.

Reactions: f6c
Upvote 0

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Without knowing the VIN number of the vehicle it's impossible to understand which safety recall might be affecting the base Ducato vehicle. If the van is new, I'd be surprised if it was the steering knuckle issue, since I believe that affected mostly 2018-2020 models, and wouldn't have affected all of them. Other recalls in the last couple of years have been for things like brake hose routes and clips.

Meanwhile the conversion itself may have concerns. I had a notification that Autotrail had concerns with the compartmentation around the fridge (checked and OK).

It does seem an astonishing length of time for a replacement part, if something is wrong.

Dealer may not have known when they took your deposit, there was a recall or issue, which might have only shown up once they had the van and started their PDI processes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
There appears to be a recall for the particulate matter sensor.
However I don't see why that would stop delivery of the vehicle.
If it was to fail it would cause the engine management light to come on and may go into limp mode.
Bur people are driving around with this recall on thier vehicles.

I would ask the dealer where your van is awaiting this replacement sensor.

And what prevents you taking delivery.

Perhaps the base vehicle has not been released by fiat but I can't see why that would be.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jeniflower

Jeniflower

Free Member
May 8, 2021
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Thanks, yes have asked the dealer to send VIN number - the part may come sooner I hope :) I'm going to give it a couple of weeks as I really want this van, Cheers!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jeniflower

Jeniflower

Free Member
May 8, 2021
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Thanks Phill D, It is sat waiting in a Fiat Garage near Reading - Doh. They have said I can collect but I understood it wasn't safe? and would have to be done at some point. I'm not sure what 'Limp Mode' is but it sounds scary if it happens on a motorway................. I just don't know the likelihood of this being a problem and the van will be unfamiliar to me anyway. Would you be happy to drive with this fault? Maybe am being a wuss :)

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks Phill D, It is sat waiting in a Fiat Garage near Reading - Doh. They have said I can collect but I understood it wasn't safe? and would have to be done at some point. I'm not sure what 'Limp Mode' is but it sounds scary if it happens on a motorway................. I just don't know the likelihood of this being a problem and the van will be unfamiliar to me anyway. Would you be happy to drive with this fault? Maybe am being a wuss :)
The particulate sensors have been a problem for years mine is a 2012 and I had 3 before I got it sorted.
The sensor measures in simple language the blocking of the exhaust filer. When blocking gets to a certain level the sensor tells the engine management system to burn it off. You won't even know.
If the sensor fails the management system will protect the engine by preventing the engine getting full power so restrict engine revs and power.
Limp mode still allows you to drive but is very restrictive.
Hope that helps the understanding

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jeniflower

Jeniflower

Free Member
May 8, 2021
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Thanks Phill, thats really helpful, Cheers!

Upvote 0

Fro5ty

Free Member
Sep 14, 2020
Bucks
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
0 years
Hi Jeniflower
We have just entered into a deposit situation with a well known dealer on the same model and have some VIN issues that need resolving - this will be our first Moho can anyone tell us where a Ducato based vehicle goes for service/ recalls? I remember when we had a vw camper that it had to go to special commercial dealers rather than standard dealer, can I assume the same is true for the Carabus?

Upvote 0
May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
Hi Jeniflower
We have just entered into a deposit situation with a well known dealer on the same model and have some VIN issues that need resolving - this will be our first Moho can anyone tell us where a Ducato based vehicle goes for service/ recalls? I remember when we had a vw camper that it had to go to special commercial dealers rather than standard dealer, can I assume the same is true for the Carabus?
It will go to a FIAT Professional garage that handles FIAT Ducato's and that size of vehicle.

Upvote 1
Oct 5, 2009
anglesey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
since 1999
Management light on intermittently on ours twelve month old done 1500 miles waiting for second sensor estimated six weeks never gone in limp mode yet

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Controversial, I know, but nowadays I buy premium diesel to help avoid sensor problems. Unless you do a big mileage the tiddly savings from cheap supermarket diesel are not worth it (to me). Outweighed by the hassle of getting the annoying minor problem fixed. Even if it is fixed under warranty there is inconvenience, loss of use, and out-of pocket expenses.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jeniflower

Jeniflower

Free Member
May 8, 2021
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Hi Frosty,

Sorry to hear you also have issues with this model. My Van was sent to the local Fiat dealership/garage fo recall by the motorhome dealer in Reading. This is where the van will get it's services etc under Warranty. I am unaware of any problems with the VIN number, but as I still haven't got log book (see below), who knows? I will post here if any developments and would be interested to see how you get on?

My issues with sensor part solved - part appeared and was fitted. I contacted Fiat customer services direct, they were responsive but part arrived before I got any further. Meanwhile................... the dealer managed to send the wrong fee to the DVLA - who didn't bother to let them know for a week, and impossible to get through on phone due to strike at DVLA! (doh!! - you couldn't make it up;), so am STILL waiting for log book & tax (as it happens I am moving house on Friday so just decided to wait till after that to pick up van so doesn't really matter to me right now).

I now understand a bit more about the re-call sensor filter part and am reassured. My brother told me that everyone he knows just has them taken out of their cars, and they are only there because of fuel emissions scandal. However due to Warranty etc I am covered now it's done at a Fiat garage.

Good Luck!

Upvote 1
OP
OP
Jeniflower

Jeniflower

Free Member
May 8, 2021
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Controversial, I know, but nowadays I buy premium diesel to help avoid sensor problems. Unless you do a big mileage the tiddly savings from cheap supermarket diesel are not worth it (to me). Outweighed by the hassle of getting the annoying minor problem fixed. Even if it is fixed under warranty there is inconvenience, loss of use, and out-of pocket expenses.
Thanks, I didn't know if made any difference, but will take your advice, only the best for my new van:)

Upvote 0
Oct 5, 2009
anglesey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
since 1999
Good suggestion will definitely try the premium diesel usually fill up at village garage when possible couple of pence dearer but he keeps the place neat and tidy needs all the support he can get

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back