Fiat Ducato Base 2.3 130bhp vs 150bhp

Discussion in 'Fiat' started by Jill, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Ratings:
    +5,372
    Untrue, you will go slower yes but you will use more fuel

Brim to brim for me

2. Deneb

Deneb Funster

Ratings:
    +301
    In pure MPG terms of course. What I meant was that minute by minute, the engine is consuming the same amount of fuel at the same rpm, all else being equal.

Making a conscious decision to travel below the optimum cruising speed for the vehicle kind of indicates acceptance of time and other penalties that accrue from that. So if you have to travel in 5th gear because you don't want to do the optimum speed in 6th, a similar RPM is the best compromise between fuel efficiency and torque that you're going to get.

3. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Ratings:
    +5,372
    @Deneb Put like that I do agree with you (y)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Lawrencep

Lawrencep Funster

Ratings:
    +9
    I have a 150 on a PVC (Tribute T-670). No denying the power availability is lovely. Currently getting c. 32mpg touring on a 2018 engine. That's loaded up, filling fuel tank and c.40 litres water.

5. Apache

Apache Funster

Ratings:
    +29
    Our previous Autotrail Apache 632 was a 130 bhp and did around 22/23mpg. Our current Apache 700 is a150 bhp and rated at 4250kg although never loaded to that level . We seem to get slightly more to the gallon , maybe 23 /24 ish although that’s just on the trip computer. I tend to drive 60 to 65 mostly especially on motorways. The power issue is as you might expect , when new I was a little disappointed compared to my previous 130 but as she racks up the miles which are rapidly approaching 10000 miles on a 65 registration , the engine seems to be settling in and is now more flexible and I can feel the extra power now. I suspect if I just slow down a little bit and also check tyre pressures then my mpg could get neare to 30mpg.

6. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Ratings:
    +19,047
    For a 3850kg van I wouldn't even consider the 130, although the 130 goes quite well it does not have the variable vane turbo and that can really catch you out on steep hill and hairpins, if comes of the turbo boost the engine practily stalls.
    Last two vans we have had the 150 current van is 4500kg wish I had gone for the 180. The 150 is getting better now we have done a few miles hopefully will be better when fully run in at 15000 miles.
    Why worry about consumption we don't do enough miles to worry only 8000-9000 a year. Current van was doing 21-22 now it's done 8000 up the 23-24 I'm happy with that.

Get the most powerful engine you can afford.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018 at 6:33 PM
    • Like it Like it x 4
  7. Roger20

Roger20 Funster

Ratings:
    +5
    Previous Autotrail X250 130bhp with a big bluff front did 25/26mpg cruising at GPS 58mph. Current Hymer Euro 6 150bhp fully loaded to 3.5t currently showing 30.5mpg on the trip cruising down German motorways at GPS 60mph so very pleased at the improvement with only 900 miles on the clock so far. Too early to say whether the 150bhp upgrade is worthwhile but I suspect t it will be eventually after properly run in and towing a motorbike trailer.
    Trip mpg with the Autotrail was actually very slightly better than brim--to-brim measure so will be interesting to see what actual brim measure shows (current speedo much more accurate than the old one).
    Given that we never drove hard in the Autotrail I always felt that 130bhp was OK but by the time we started towing there was well over 30k on the clock so just beginning to get run.
    I think it depends a lot on how you drive as well as your expectations. German motorhomes invariably pass us doing 70mph so for them I would imagine 150bhp will be the minimum.

8. john lillie

john lillie Funster

Ratings:
    +24
    had my 10 year old A class with 2.3 fiat uprated from 130 to150bhp, more torquey, with cruise engaged it sailed up most motorway hills without touching gears, and averaged around 25mpg touring France, so a low profile should beat that

9. JimW

JimW Funster

Ratings:
    +1
    I am a bit confused regarding revs and speed. I have a euro 5 ducato with the 150 engine and a six speed gear box. I cruise at 55 to 60 mph in sixth gear with the engine doing 2300-2400 rpm.
    Others seem to be saying that keeping the revs at 2000 means they are going too fast at over 60?
    On my recent trip to Croatia I averaged 32mpg (although I am too lazy to do brim to brim, so this is what the onboard computer tells me!)

10. MikeD

MikeD Funster

Ratings:
    +2,855
    Our PVC would be going at least 70mph at 2400rpm. At 2000rpm its just over 60mph, both on speedo.

Our Autotrail at 130bhp would indicate 55 mph approx and I am happy at that.

We go away for three months at a time and never want to do more than 2-3 hours driving a day.

150miles is my happy day mileage. I do also have a "very, very happy" and "ecstatic" mileage days when I drive much less. :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. john lillie

john lillie Funster

Ratings:
    +24
    see above, I averaged cruising just under 60mph where possible, onboard computer said 26.5 mpg, but they are always a bit optimistic to say the least! Rev counter confirms same as mine for relative speed in sixth gear

12. Jim Schush

Jim Schush Funster

Ratings:
    +73
    We have just taken delivery of a Dethleff T7057 with a maximum weight of 3850 kgs. We opted for the 150 bhp with the manual gearbox, travelling at 60 mph we are averaging 28.2 mpg.
    The van has only covered 500 miles however on our last trip it definitely felt like it was starting to loosen up and cruised up the m62 between Rochdale and Ripponden without any real effort.

• Like it Like it x 1
  13. Paul J

Paul J Funster

Ratings:
    +75
    I’d be interested to learn some more about the engines that Fiat put in their Motorhome base vehicles. I’m fairly sure that the 150bhp has a different turbo, variable impeller ?, and their isn’t (at least not a proper) way for a 130 to simply be converted to a 150bhp.
    I think that the engines are a ‘Motorhome spec’ as different (somehow) from what goes in the van.
    Our RollerTeam T-Line 590 (5.99m) low profile coachbuilt is averaging currently 34.4mpg, but I’ll admit to being an extreme skinflint ;)
    I’ll get bored soon, and start going faster. Great motor though, gear boxes take some ‘wearing-in’ though, I’m sure a few thousand miles will make it an even more pleasant combination than it already is

14. robnchris

robnchris Funster

Ratings:
    +2,829
    How much is the 130bhp against the 150 BHP, got to be £1200 to £1400, then do the maths like we did, buy a 130 and get it remapped which will take it to more than 150 and cost around £350.
    It`s a no brainer really as they are the same engine.

15. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Ratings:
    +19,047
    Difference in revs probably down to what chassis/engine you have, if it is the specific Fiat camper engine the final drive ratio is lower. If build on the standard chassis cab which budget vans tend to be the final gearing will be higher.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Ratings:
    +19,047
    They are not the same the 150 has a variable vane turbo which comes into its own at low revealed something chipping can't reproduce.

And if goes bang and Fiat won't fix it under warranty it's going to cost you £8k, I think I paid €1200 for the 150 that's a no brainer to me.

• Like it Like it x 1
  17. robnchris

robnchris Funster

Ratings:
    +2,829
    I said they are the same Engine, didn't make any reference to any of the ancillaries fitted.

We have the 130bhp and have had it remapped, before it was a wet blanket, up and down the gear box and that`s just the hills on the A30. since having it remapped it a pleasure to drive flies up the hills and we get better fuel economy and that cost us £350 so quite a saving from £1200.

18. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Ratings:
    +19,047
    Not if you have a problem and Fiat won't fix it under warranty.

19. john lillie

john lillie Funster

Ratings:
    +24
    just been for a test drive in my next van which has the 3 litre 160hp engine pulling the same weight as my current van- difference was immediately apparent, and no cambelt to worry about. It's a no brainer as far as I am concerned

20. robnchris

robnchris Funster

Ratings:
    +2,829
    Why wouldn`t Fiat fix a problem, we have had since the remap a new Instrument Cluster, new air bag sensor and a new DPF sensor all fitted by Fiat all under warranty.