Fiat Ducato Base 2.3 130bhp vs 150bhp (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Is that a Euro 5 or 6?

We have a Euro 5+ PVC with the 150 engine and it pulls like a train (after the first few thousand miles, during which it seemed gutless, but as it was run it in really came on song).

I normally trundle around in 6th at just over 2000 rpm, to ensure that DPF regens will complete as much as I can, but as I say it pulls like a train, very rarely have to change down on motorway trips - pulls quite happily up and over Shap summit on the M6 for example in 6th at around 60-65mph. And I get 32-36 mpg, quite happy.

If your van does mainly motorway driving it should passively clean the DPF on Euro5 and Euro6 engines, there should be no need for a forced regeneration unless lots of short trips are taken in the van where the DPF doesn't get hot enough to keep clean.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
We have a Euro 5 PVC. 14000miles on the clock.

And I agree over 2000rpm it pulls really well.

But I am a bit of a old plodder now and don't really want to drive over 60mph in the motorhome. Hardly do in a car nowadays.

My days of having to be at the other side of the country by 10 o'clock and eating breakfast/lunch in the fast lane of the motorway are long gone. :D

Me too, which is why I potter around at 60ish, not 70 ish (or more in some of the vans I see passing me).

But if you want to go slower, use a lower gear. It's the RPM that matters, not the gear you're in. You'll achieve the same economy at 2000 rpm in 5th as at 2000 rpm in 6th.

Mar 23, 2018
East Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1995 + 20Yrs a 'Tugger' first.
Can I ask for people to indicate how they arrive at their mpg figures, please?
For me it has to be 'brim to brim' and recorded over a period of time using a spreadsheet.
I know that's probably a bit too 'anal' for some, but I want to discount the LCD readout figures that some people seem rely on

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
If your van does mainly motorway driving it should passively clean the DPF on Euro5 and Euro6 engines, there should be no need for a forced regeneration unless lots of short trips are taken in the van where the DPF doesn't get hot enough to keep clean.

Not talking about a forced regen. That's done through diagnostic software whilst stationary.

Passive regens require a minimum of 2000 rpm to be maintained for a period of at least 15 minutes on both Euro 5 and 6 Ducatos. You canorder a variant of the Euro 6 X290 with a facility to initiate regens on demand, intended for delivery vehicles driven mainly at low speeds or short distances of stopping and starting. It illuminates a warning lamp when a regen is required and can be initiated by the driver pressing a button. It raises the RPM automatically to 2000 rpm until completed. Not being specced by any motorhome converters that I'm aware of though ;):D2;)

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
For me it has to be 'brim to brim' and recorded over a period of time using a spreadsheet.
I know that's probably a bit too 'anal' for some, but I want to discount the LCD readout figures that some people seem rely on

Yes, brim to brim refuelling and mileage over time.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Not talking about a forced regen. That's done through diagnostic software whilst stationary.

Passive regens require a minimum of 2000 rpm to be maintained for a period of at least 15 minutes on both Euro 5 and 6 Ducatos. You canorder a variant of the Euro 6 X290 with a facility to initiate regens on demand, intended for delivery vehicles driven mainly at low speeds or short distances of stopping and starting. It illuminates a warning lamp when a regen is required and can be initiated by the driver pressing a button. It raises the RPM automatically to 2000 rpm until completed. Not being specced by any motorhome converters that I'm aware of though ;):D2;)

Sorry what I meant was passive regeneration against active regeneration which used to be called forced.

Passive happens as you are driving once the exhaust gets hot enough. Active is controlled by the cars ecu and involves injecting more diesel amongst other things.

Active regeneration needs revs over 2000 and is only initiated if the DPF is getting clogged more than a certain level.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Sorry what I meant was passive regeneration against active regeneration which used to be called forced.

Passive happens as you are driving once the exhaust gets hot enough. Active is controlled by the cars ecu and involves injecting more diesel amongst other things.

Active regeneration needs revs over 2000 and is only initiated if the DPF is getting clogged more than a certain level.

Fiat refer to those as spontaneous regenerations. They state in their technical description that the thresholds for spontaneous regeneration to initiate are difficult to reach in any of the conditions recognised by the ECU as normal driving profiles.

Edit: In fact, they've dropped any mention of spontaneous regeneration from the Euro 6 description and suggest that all regens are ECU controlled.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Fiat refer to those as spontaneous regenerations. They state in their technical description that the thresholds for spontaneous regeneration to initiate are difficult to reach in any of the conditions recognised by the ECU as normal driving profiles.

Edit: In fact, they've dropped any mention of spontaneous regeneration from the Euro 6 description and suggest that all regens are ECU controlled.
All DPFs should regenerate naturally when they are hot enough the carbon naturally burns off, that is what is known as passive regeneration. It seems Fiat translate active regeneration to spontaneous and their translation of the process is also hard to understand.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
... I wish I has passive or even spontaneous regeneration when I get a 'hot flush'!!! :D

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
But if you want to go slower, use a lower gear. It's the RPM that matters, not the gear you're in. You'll achieve the same economy at 2000 rpm in 5th as at 2000 rpm in 6th.

Untrue, you will go slower yes but you will use more fuel

Brim to brim for me

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Untrue, you will go slower yes but you will use more fuel

In pure MPG terms of course. What I meant was that minute by minute, the engine is consuming the same amount of fuel at the same rpm, all else being equal.

Making a conscious decision to travel below the optimum cruising speed for the vehicle kind of indicates acceptance of time and other penalties that accrue from that. So if you have to travel in 5th gear because you don't want to do the optimum speed in 6th, a similar RPM is the best compromise between fuel efficiency and torque that you're going to get.

Aug 17, 2017
Funster No
MH
PVC - AT Tribute T-670
Exp
I have a 150 on a PVC (Tribute T-670). No denying the power availability is lovely. Currently getting c. 32mpg touring on a 2018 engine. That's loaded up, filling fuel tank and c.40 litres water.

Apache

Free Member
Jun 22, 2014
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
5 Years
Our previous Autotrail Apache 632 was a 130 bhp and did around 22/23mpg. Our current Apache 700 is a150 bhp and rated at 4250kg although never loaded to that level . We seem to get slightly more to the gallon , maybe 23 /24 ish although that’s just on the trip computer. I tend to drive 60 to 65 mostly especially on motorways. The power issue is as you might expect , when new I was a little disappointed compared to my previous 130 but as she racks up the miles which are rapidly approaching 10000 miles on a 65 registration , the engine seems to be settling in and is now more flexible and I can feel the extra power now. I suspect if I just slow down a little bit and also check tyre pressures then my mpg could get neare to 30mpg.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
For a 3850kg van I wouldn't even consider the 130, although the 130 goes quite well it does not have the variable vane turbo and that can really catch you out on steep hill and hairpins, if comes of the turbo boost the engine practily stalls.
Last two vans we have had the 150 current van is 4500kg wish I had gone for the 180. The 150 is getting better now we have done a few miles hopefully will be better when fully run in at 15000 miles.
Why worry about consumption we don't do enough miles to worry only 8000-9000 a year. Current van was doing 21-22 now it's done 8000 up the 23-24 I'm happy with that.

Get the most powerful engine you can afford.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2017
Shipley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis T - 588
Exp
Since 2004
Previous Autotrail X250 130bhp with a big bluff front did 25/26mpg cruising at GPS 58mph. Current Hymer Euro 6 150bhp fully loaded to 3.5t currently showing 30.5mpg on the trip cruising down German motorways at GPS 60mph so very pleased at the improvement with only 900 miles on the clock so far. Too early to say whether the 150bhp upgrade is worthwhile but I suspect t it will be eventually after properly run in and towing a motorbike trailer.
Trip mpg with the Autotrail was actually very slightly better than brim--to-brim measure so will be interesting to see what actual brim measure shows (current speedo much more accurate than the old one).
Given that we never drove hard in the Autotrail I always felt that 130bhp was OK but by the time we started towing there was well over 30k on the clock so just beginning to get run.
I think it depends a lot on how you drive as well as your expectations. German motorhomes invariably pass us doing 70mph so for them I would imagine 150bhp will be the minimum.

john lillie

Banned
Life Ban
May 11, 2016
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
a class euramobil
Exp
25 years
had my 10 year old A class with 2.3 fiat uprated from 130 to150bhp, more torquey, with cruise engaged it sailed up most motorway hills without touching gears, and averaged around 25mpg touring France, so a low profile should beat that

JimW

Free Member
Dec 21, 2016
UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxstar 630 Freeway
Exp
Since 2000
I am a bit confused regarding revs and speed. I have a euro 5 ducato with the 150 engine and a six speed gear box. I cruise at 55 to 60 mph in sixth gear with the engine doing 2300-2400 rpm.
Others seem to be saying that keeping the revs at 2000 means they are going too fast at over 60?
On my recent trip to Croatia I averaged 32mpg (although I am too lazy to do brim to brim, so this is what the onboard computer tells me!)

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I am a bit confused regarding revs and speed. I have a euro 5 ducato with the 150 engine and a six speed gear box. I cruise at 55 to 60 mph in sixth gear with the engine doing 2300-2400 rpm.
Others seem to be saying that keeping the revs at 2000 means they are going too fast at over 60?
On my recent trip to Croatia I averaged 32mpg (although I am too lazy to do brim to brim, so this is what the onboard computer tells me!)

Our PVC would be going at least 70mph at 2400rpm. At 2000rpm its just over 60mph, both on speedo.

Our Autotrail at 130bhp would indicate 55 mph approx and I am happy at that.

We go away for three months at a time and never want to do more than 2-3 hours driving a day.

150miles is my happy day mileage. I do also have a "very, very happy" and "ecstatic" mileage days when I drive much less. :D

john lillie

Banned
Life Ban
May 11, 2016
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
a class euramobil
Exp
25 years
see above, I averaged cruising just under 60mph where possible, onboard computer said 26.5 mpg, but they are always a bit optimistic to say the least! Rev counter confirms same as mine for relative speed in sixth gear

Nov 6, 2017
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend t7051
We have just taken delivery of a Dethleff T7057 with a maximum weight of 3850 kgs. We opted for the 150 bhp with the manual gearbox, travelling at 60 mph we are averaging 28.2 mpg.
The van has only covered 500 miles however on our last trip it definitely felt like it was starting to loosen up and cruised up the m62 between Rochdale and Ripponden without any real effort.

Paul J

Free Member
Feb 27, 2018
Funster No
I’d be interested to learn some more about the engines that Fiat put in their Motorhome base vehicles. I’m fairly sure that the 150bhp has a different turbo, variable impeller ?, and their isn’t (at least not a proper) way for a 130 to simply be converted to a 150bhp.
I think that the engines are a ‘Motorhome spec’ as different (somehow) from what goes in the van.
Our RollerTeam T-Line 590 (5.99m) low profile coachbuilt is averaging currently 34.4mpg, but I’ll admit to being an extreme skinflint ;)
I’ll get bored soon, and start going faster. Great motor though, gear boxes take some ‘wearing-in’ though, I’m sure a few thousand miles will make it an even more pleasant combination than it already is

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
How much is the 130bhp against the 150 BHP, got to be £1200 to £1400, then do the maths like we did, buy a 130 and get it remapped which will take it to more than 150 and cost around £350.
It`s a no brainer really as they are the same engine.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Difference in revs probably down to what chassis/engine you have, if it is the specific Fiat camper engine the final drive ratio is lower. If build on the standard chassis cab which budget vans tend to be the final gearing will be higher.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
How much is the 130bhp against the 150 BHP, got to be £1200 to £1400, then do the maths like we did, buy a 130 and get it remapped which will take it to more than 150 and cost around £350.
It`s a no brainer really as they are the same engine.
They are not the same the 150 has a variable vane turbo which comes into its own at low revealed something chipping can't reproduce.

And if goes bang and Fiat won't fix it under warranty it's going to cost you £8k, I think I paid €1200 for the 150 that's a no brainer to me.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
They are not the same the 150 has a variable vane turbo which comes into its own at low revealed something chipping can't reproduce.

And if goes bang and Fiat won't fix it under warranty it's going to cost you £8k, I think I paid €1200 for the 150 that's a no brainer to me.

I said they are the same Engine, didn't make any reference to any of the ancillaries fitted.

We have the 130bhp and have had it remapped, before it was a wet blanket, up and down the gear box and that`s just the hills on the A30. since having it remapped it a pleasure to drive flies up the hills and we get better fuel economy and that cost us £350 so quite a saving from £1200.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I said they are the same Engine, didn't make any reference to any of the ancillaries fitted.

We have the 130bhp and have had it remapped, before it was a wet blanket, up and down the gear box and that`s just the hills on the A30. since having it remapped it a pleasure to drive flies up the hills and we get better fuel economy and that cost us £350 so quite a saving from £1200.
Not if you have a problem and Fiat won't fix it under warranty.

john lillie

Banned
Life Ban
May 11, 2016
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
a class euramobil
Exp
25 years
just been for a test drive in my next van which has the 3 litre 160hp engine pulling the same weight as my current van- difference was immediately apparent, and no cambelt to worry about. It's a no brainer as far as I am concerned

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Not if you have a problem and Fiat won't fix it under warranty.

Why wouldn`t Fiat fix a problem, we have had since the remap a new Instrument Cluster, new air bag sensor and a new DPF sensor all fitted by Fiat all under warranty.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back