Fiat Ducato 1996 diesel (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 14, 2018
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato compass drift
Exp
Good morning, after working on the van and it being stationary the old gals battery has flattened. I did jump start the MH and went on a 30 min trip to charge. Fine for a few more turn overs, but then met with the picture (hopefully attached) water in fuel pump. I have the spare pump purchased and will fit myself. Just a couple of questions....

Could a low battery mean dashboard light not going out due to no power.

Also, should i fill new filter pump with diesel or just semi turn ignition and allow it to hopefully pull through itself. (Is it just a case of opening the pump and pouring in?)

Kind regards and happy new year.
Ry
20181231_090206.jpg

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
Not sure of your query but do you not just have to drain the water in the fuel filter to clear this issue.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Any water found its way into fuel lift pump will soon be expelled by new fuel passing through, there's nowhere for the water to accumulate and no way to open to drain or fill it.
The symbol will indicate either water in filter (most likely) or water in fuel tank.
If its been stood a very long time I would drain both and refill with fresh fuel.
A part full diesel tank is a magnet for condensation and fuel problems.

After reading again I think you're confusing fuel pump with fuel filter

Jul 2, 2017
Pr9 9qs
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix 670sl
Exp
Good morning, after working on the van and it being stationary the old gals battery has flattened. I did jump start the MH and went on a 30 min trip to charge. Fine for a few more turn overs, but then met with the picture (hopefully attached) water in fuel pump. I have the spare pump purchased and will fit myself. Just a couple of questions....

Could a low battery mean dashboard light not going out due to no power.

Also, should i fill new filter pump with diesel or just semi turn ignition and allow it to hopefully pull through itself. (Is it just a case of opening the pump and pouring in?)

Kind regards and happy new year.
Ry
View attachment 274490
You will either replace the fuel filter or as a quick fix drain the water from the bottom of filter. You will never pull it through as water will always sit at the bottom, that’s why the sensor is we’re it is

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
That light used to light up on my old 1996 Transit now and again and then go off again,,Just a faulty sensor,,Did it for two years and no harm done,,BUSBY.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Your van doesn't have a low pressure pump in the tank, there should be a priming pump on top of the fuel filter, open the bleed cock and pump till you get neat fuel out of the bleed cock.

D.

Jul 2, 2017
Pr9 9qs
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix 670sl
Exp
Your van doesn't have a low pressure pump in the tank, there should be a priming pump on top of the fuel filter, open the bleed cock and pump till you get neat fuel out of the bleed cock.

D.
No what you’re saying Dave but you will always pull neat fuel through as the water sits in the bottom and the fuel pipes come in at the top. That’s why all the old trucks had a sediment trap before the filter to stop water getting to filter

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
No what you’re saying Dave but you will always pull neat fuel through as the water sits in the bottom and the fuel pipes come in at the top. That’s why all the old trucks had a sediment trap before the filter to stop water getting to filter
I meant for priming the filter after it was changed, not as a means of removing the water.

D.

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Think dave means priming fuel after draining water off

Oct 26, 2016
kent
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance 810G
Exp
since 2003
Could be a warning that the service is due, we had a ford fiesta that came up with a warning indicator similar looked it up in handbook [water in filter] service due.
Google it.
Joe

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I had the same light once showing on our 1997 Ducato with 2.5tdi engine. There is a drain tap at the bottom of the filter housing. I drained out the water and the light went out.

OP
OP
ryan_flea
Sep 14, 2018
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato compass drift
Exp
I had the same light once showing on our 1997 Ducato with 2.5tdi engine. There is a drain tap at the bottom of the filter housing. I drained out the water and the light went out.

Appreciate this. May I ask (approx.) How much did you drain as opened the drain tap and I allowed out about an inch of diesel. Not looking too contaminated?

Regards,
Ry

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
i just drained about an egg cup full and shut the tap. The light went out so I was happy. I don’t think it detects much water before the light comes on.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back