Fiat clutch pedal stayed down (1 Viewer)

Lucky

Free Member
Nov 9, 2019
Limousin France & Yorkshire UK
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 600XV
Exp
Since 2016
My brand new Fiat based motorhome is almost faultless but after 100 miles use and a couple of days parked, I drove off and found the clutch pedal didn't return to the up position. Also the vehicle was in gear and the gear lever wouldn't move.

I solved the problem by easily lifting the clutch pedal by hand, and since then there's been no repeat of the issue.

Having googled the problem there's a suggestion it might, among other things, be a clutch slave cylinder problem. However, as I've since driven another 300 miles up hill and down dale without the problem returning, I am hoping it was a one off, perhaps due to air in the system.

I could speak to the mh dealer or more likely a Fiat Professional workshop but is there anyone here with technical knowledge who can offer advice - I'm hoping it was just a one off and I wont need to take it back.

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
I had the same issue on a 2007 van - I didnt realise I could lift it back up by hand until I had driven it without use of the clutch from Boulogne up to Calais. Clutch was replaced by the dealer under warranty when we returned home and problem didnt happen again. Suspected Slave Cylinder problem.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
You say “brand new” it that to you, or it‘s a 2021 vehicle?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoCruise Stardream
Exp
Newbie April 2019
I've seen it happen a few times over the years on various makes of vehicle, most found that lifting the pedal solved it and it tend to not happen again.

There are a few possible causes but its going to be a guessing game until it can be caught doing it again

1, The clutch slave cylinder or hydraulic bearing didn't return
2, The clutch master cylinder at the pedal end stuck
3, The clutch cover plate stuck in. (never seen it happen) and unlikely

I'd say from ones I've done its more likely to be the pedal end.
Normally I'd just say run it to see if it happens again as swapping parts that may not be the cause can get expensive.

But if it is brand new and under warranty them if it concerns you I'd just let them have the problem if its not going to cost you anything

OP
OP
Lucky

Lucky

Free Member
Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 600XV
Exp
Since 2016
You say “brand new” it that to you, or it‘s a 2021 vehicle?
Yes, 2021 new.

Having been without a mh for a few months I'm reluctant to hand it back temporarily, so I might just report it to my dealer for now and see if it happens again. Come the autumn I can then take it in for inspection.... unless somebody in the know thinks I'm highly likely to get stranded.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Yes, 2021 new.

Having been without a mh for a few months I'm reluctant to hand it back temporarily, so I might just report it to my dealer for now and see if it happens again. Come the autumn I can then take it in for inspection.... unless somebody in the know thinks I'm highly likely to get stranded.
Sounds like a good plan to me 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If its air in system it won't happen just once.... It would be happening constantly unless the pedal is pumped numerous times to compress the air.
Its a sealed system and nowhere for any air to go.
That's why hydraulic systems have to be bled, the air can't get out on its own.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If you take it back to the dealer and its working at the time they probably won't do anything. You are probably stuck with waiting for it to go wrong permantly before they fix it.

OP
OP
Lucky

Lucky

Free Member
Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 600XV
Exp
Since 2016
Make sure nothing is preventing the pedal from returning fully (when it does return).
There wasn't but thanks for mentioning the possibility.

If you take it back to the dealer and its working at the time they probably won't do anything. You are probably stuck with waiting for it to go wrong permantly before they fix it.
Yes, I'd forgotten that old chestnut 🤨

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
If its air in system it won't happen just once.... It would be happening constantly unless the pedal is pumped numerous times to compress the air.
Its a sealed system and nowhere for any air to go.
That's why hydraulic systems have to be bled, the air can't get out on its own.
Is it a sealed system?

Can the air not flow up to the reservoir?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Is it a sealed system?

Can the air not flow up to the reservoir?
The few I've seen use a tiny master cylinder tucked up behind the clutch pedal. They're fed by a small tube from a sectioned-off part of the brake fluid reservoir. Bleeding is via a tube usually clipped to the bell-housing.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
The last time i changed a slave cylinder and struggled to bleed it, I then propped the clutch pedal down overnight to allow any air to make its way up and out.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Recent experience.
Had a big scare a couple of weeks back returning home from a Fun meet, it started about a mile from home while I was doing some stop/start, left/right turns. The clutch peddle felt very strange all of a sudden, I thought the worst as you do, what the hell has happened?, it been fine all the way so far.? The clutch peddle would not depress very far, and felt really strange.:eek::unsure:
It wasn't until I drove into our drive and parked up that the cause was revealed.
A Lemon from the fruit bowl had fallen out the bowl and somehow managed to work its way down the van to the front, and had miraculously wedged itself under the clutch peddle.
I was, as you can well imagine much relieved on discovering this by now much squashed Lemon, but it did make me laugh with much relief at the time....Phew I thought, thank goodness for that.
Yes I did feel a Right Lemon, before someone else mentions it.:giggle:
Hope The OP gets the clutch problem sorted at a reasonable cost, & back on the road with confidence.
LES

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back