My Ducato Clutch nightmare (1 Viewer)

Nick's Ducato

Free Member
May 23, 2021
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Bought a 2010 Ducato 2.3 multijet for conversion at 117,000 miles and ran with no problems to 124,000 miles.
Then first problem - clutch pedal - flat to floor, no clutch, no fluid loss. RAC and garage diagnosis Clutch master cylinder failure!
New master cylinder fitted, smooth pedal pressure on most of its travel restored, progressive clutch dis-engagement, purrrrfect!
50 mile later - pedal flat to floor, restored by vigorous pedal pumping - back to the garage to be re-bled.
Van returned, feels fine ..... for 15 miles!!!!! then starts to fail rapidly Manage to reach home, to be recovered by the RAC back to the garage.
Still no fluid loss. solution - Gearbox out to fit a New clutch and slave cylinder .... at great expense!
Van returned, feels fine for 120 miles, then suddenly pedal goes halfway to floor before picking up any hydraulic pressure.
This morning, barely enough pedal movement (about an inch) to dis-engage the clutch!!!!!
What else is there to renew?
What is going on?

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
Sounds like you might have a hair split in a pipe it's big enough to allow air in but not big enough to allow fluid out or possibly a union hasn't been nipped up tightly because I don't think there us any thing else to replace unless you have got a dodgy master or slave cylinder it's rare now a days but it does happen

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Nick's Ducato

Nick's Ducato

Free Member
May 23, 2021
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Thanks Grummyb, Following the first failure after replacing the master cylinder, I suggested to the garage it could be faulty and they replied as you, possible but unlikely!
My next option does seem to try replacing the pipes. There is nothing else, is there.
It is so frustrating, after 60 years of doing my own repairs, thought it might be safer to use the services of my local garage

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 1
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Split pipe??? Can see where you are coming from with that as everything else seems to have been changed...BUT I would have thought with the pressure in the hydraulic system then fluid would seep through even the smallest of tiny hair crack.
But as OP says no fluid lose..
It seems to be going on long enough that they should notice dropping levels in reservoir.

Upvote 0

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
This isn't an answer to the problem, but if a clutch does that in a Ducato, try putting your foot below the pedal & pulling it back up with your toe.
Thats what various ambulance services around the UK have had to do to keep Ducato's going.

FIAT quality control at its best.

Upvote 0
Sep 2, 2020
Ferndown Dorset
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 C
Exp
Coachbult Newbie but 45+yrs caravanning
This isn't an answer to the problem, but if a clutch does that in a Ducato, try putting your foot below the pedal & pulling it back up with your toe.
Thats what various ambulance services around the UK have had to do to keep Ducato's going.

So if that has been a known problem on NHS ambulances for some time there must be a solution to the problem in the first place.
Do you have any further chapter and verse accounts to tell us what is going on?

Upvote 0

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
So if that has been a known problem on NHS ambulances for some time there must be a solution to the problem in the first place.
Do you have any further chapter and verse accounts to tell us what is going on?
Sadly I don't know what the outcome was, thankfully I retired just as Ducato's arrived on the front line.
Most services have gone back over to Mercedes & that should tell us something?

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Similar to this, a friend of mine had on a Nissan qashqai, the pedal was sinking without actuating the master cylinder. It was a fault in the plastic components on the pedal mechanism, the push rod was collapsing under pressure. The cure was new pedal mechanism. No fluid loss, because none was pumped.

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Utter incompetence by garage. Without fluid loss it would not be the slave. The usual cause is pedal not fully returning or, more rarely, master cylinder failure.

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
If I remember rightly, the Clutch Pedal is made of Plastic , with a kind of "Parrots Beak" where it actuates the actual slave cylinder.
Could it be, that after 124000miles the thing is worn?, plenty of slack?

Upvote 0
Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
Utter incompetence by garage. Without fluid loss it would not be the slave. The usual cause is pedal not fully returning or, more rarely, master cylinder failure.
I had the very same fault. It was the slave cylinder and there was no fluid leak.

Upvote 0
Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
Your evidence or the garage? If the slave seizes operated or not the next stroke of the pedal is impossible without a fluid leak.
My evidence. Mates a mechanic and he done the repair. The only thing changed was the slave cylinder.
The pedal randomly was getting stuck down, lifting it with my toe and a couple of pumps we had a working clutch.

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Sadly I don't know what the outcome was, thankfully I retired just as Ducato's arrived on the front line.
Most services have gone back over to Mercedes & that should tell us something?

I am afraid that’s incorrect. The new National Spec Ambulance is on a panel van chassis and 40k cheaper for it after the conversion cost. We have only used Ducato for some 8 years now and have 450 in the fleet. Generally our mechanics rate them highly and we have few issues. All services in England will be moving to panel vans as the older vehicles retire. Invariably these are Fiat and not Mercs.

I do wonder if you had a bad batch? There has been resistance from some Ambulance services who have a Mercedes only approach as the staff like the extra room of the box body which has led to some rumours that Fiat are bad but I can only speak from experience and say they are fine and much cheaper.

Hope the OP gets it sorted, it’s awful throwing money at something and it still not being fixed.

Last edited:
Upvote 1
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
My evidence. Mates a mechanic and he done the repair. The only thing changed was the slave cylinder.
The pedal randomly was getting stuck down, lifting it with my toe and a couple of pumps we had a working clutch.
It still troubles me: if the slave stuck down lifting the pedal wouldn't free it - the master cylinder can't 'suck'. So lifting the pedal with your toe recharges the m/c and the next pump on the pedal would be solid. However that could potentially free a stiff slave only for it to stick again at some point. How does the pedal return? I assume there must be a return spring. The reason I ask is that first movement down on the pedal closes the m/c fluid reservoir port: further movement displaces fluid to operate the s/c. In reverse the last bit of upward pedal travel re-opens the reservoir port. If the port doesn't ever close pushing the pedal pushes fluid into the reservoir & nothing happens to the s/c. If the pedal doesn't fully return the port can't open to equalise s/c & m/c pressures and eventually the slave can't fully return.

Upvote 0

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
I am afraid that’s incorrect. The new National Spec Ambulance is on a panel van chassis and 40k cheaper for it after the conversion cost. We have only used Ducato for some 8 years now and have 450 in the fleet. Generally our mechanics rate them highly and we have few issues. All services in England will be moving to panel vans as the older vehicles retire. Invariably these are Fiat and not Mercs.

I do wonder if you had a bad batch? There has been resistance from some Ambulance services who have a Mercedes only approach as the staff like the extra room of the box body which has led to some rumours that Fiat are bad but I can only speak from experience and say they are fine and much cheaper.

Hope the OP gets it sorted, it’s awful throwing money at something and it still not being fixed.
The Ducato is a bad batch full stop. Hellish or almost non existent ergonomics, poor road holding, even poorer traction on slippery surfaces, brakes which have an interesting habit of catching fire & that's just the good bits lol. ::bigsmile:

Scotland did see the light & its Mercedes again. There is a brand new coach built wagon sitting on call at my door right now (my neighbour) & that's the second one since they got rid of the Ducato's. (y):giggle:

I personally have ran both marques & the Mercedes Sprinter is simply in a different league from the Ducato based vehicles.
I'm not claiming that the Sprinter is perfect, but it is IMHO the sensible choice. :unsure:

Upvote 0
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
A pal of mine had an issue with his Astra after fitting new brake pads. In a nutshell, when winding the caliper piston back in, he'd forced too much fluid back up into the master cylinder which had turned a cup seal "back on itself" Not sure if this could happen when fitting a clutch, but it could explain the "no loss of fluid" ?

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
A pal of mine had an issue with his Astra after fitting new brake pads. In a nutshell, when winding the caliper piston back in, he'd forced too much fluid back up into the master cylinder which had turned a cup seal "back on itself" Not sure if this could happen when fitting a clutch, but it could explain the "no loss of fluid" ?
With the Ducato, the fluids are drawn from the same reservoir aren't they? So possible?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Nick's Ducato

Nick's Ducato

Free Member
May 23, 2021
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Thanks everyone for your comments.

The latest - The Ducato is now back and working for the moment. The garage tell me they conducted a pressure test on the pipe between master and slave cylinder, at a much higher pressure than would be exerted by the master cylinder, which it passed, But they then found a damaged "O" ring on the connection to the slave cylinder. The pitting was minute, the mechanics were puzzled that it should have withstood the pressure test, unless it was working like a valve, letting air in, but closing under pressure!

To be fair to the garage, they do admit this problem has them puzzled, they are less than confident it is fully resolved and all the extra work has been done under warranty.

My next concern is that I now have a full 2 inches of free travel on the clutch pedal, I'm sure it was not as much as that before, what should it be?

Upvote 0

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
I realised what the problem is , it's no use going to the garage and telling them you have 2 inches of travel on the pedal they won't understand what an " inch" is and the laptop won't tell em either

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Nick's Ducato

Nick's Ducato

Free Member
May 23, 2021
Funster No
MH
Van conversion

That was the beginning of my troubles. Pedal sticking part down. I drove for a few miles using the toe under pedal method, until the pedal went flat to the floor and I could not put my toe under it. Could not even find the pedal!! That was a very un-nerving experience in heavy traffic.

Upvote 0

Andrew from D

Free Member
May 24, 2021
Modbury, South Hams Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690
My Ducato clutch nightmare continues! Total clutch failure after 2700miles meant that after driving from south Devon to Newport south Wales and stopping, before pulling away with a fully depressed clutch it was impossible to engage gear with the engine running. By engaging gear whilst stationary and then starting engine it was possible to park the MH on its pitch. After finding the nearest authorised garage who would accept the vehicle 160 miles away in Plymouth it was transported to Vospers Comercial in Plymouth who were the only agents who have been of any help at all and that includes the retailers in Wellington who advised me it was a Fiat customer Services problem and to “call them” , as it would be two months before anyone could even look at it.
Vospers advised me that the advice from Fiat was that a new Cluth would be required and that it would be with them by Tuesday 25th May. To expedite the repair I was advised on the 24th the gearbox and clutch had been removed and that a bolt had “dropped out of the slave cylinder” and that was the problem. You may or may not be surprised that the part has not yet arrived and that the anticipated date is Tuesday 1st June. Currently I am also awaiting any advice on the date for the replacements of recalled steering Knuckles. All in all it can only be described as a totall shambles of customer service and care. Ask me if I would ever have anything to do with either Fiat or the retailer again and the answer would be NEVER!
bye the way you might be excused in thinking that my diatribe started with a typo, 270000 miles surely?
No it was not a typo the vehicle has travelled two thousand seven hundred miles!

Upvote 1

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back