Fiat clutch/Gear not available (1 Viewer)

Feb 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
IH
Can anyone assist please with info re a garage in Yorkshire or close by that can replace a Fiat Ducati 6mtr campervan clutch? Rang many garages and they don’t have ramps/facilities or don’t want to touch the job as it’s a big one.
New clutch is result of fault on gear box’ gear unavailable’. I’ve read threads on the forum re this issue but it seems a difficult one to resolve with no clear repair pathway. Just hoping one diagnostic result had already is correct.

Nov 27, 2016
Notts
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
No help I'm afraid but mine went in Spain and it turned out to be the clutch bearing, had new clutch at the same time. Guy did it without ramps or a pit. Just by jacking vehicle up on one side to gain access.
He did say it was a pain in the arse, ( I think that's what he said, My Catalan isn't great.) Took him a bottle of single malt the following year as a thank you, he was still grumbling about it a year later.

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
Get it transported to Adams Morey in Portsmouth , might be a long way but will save you money by having the job done properly the first time around 🤷🏻‍♂️

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
If its a comfort auto read above re Adams Morey and start saving up

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Does your local/health authority run Ducato vans/ambulances? If so you might have a word with the depot and find out who does their repairs and servicing.
Rather than car garages how about a commercial vehicle repairer? My local garage wouldn't touch my gearbox problem but recommended a commercial repairer who took it on no fuss. It's having the right equipment that makes the difference.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We had our clutch and slave cylinder done in December by Jordans Commercial garage in Hull, cost £1780 (plus £138 diagnosis). As I'm not sure where you are they may be near enough for you. Originally we were quoted anywhere up to £3,000 but due to having to wait a long time because of a delay in availability of parts by the time they did ours they'd done a lot and had got more efficient at doing them so it was quicker thus less costly.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Can anyone assist please with info re a garage in Yorkshire or close by that can replace a Fiat Ducati 6mtr campervan clutch? Rang many garages and they don’t have ramps/facilities or don’t want to touch the job as it’s a big one.
New clutch is result of fault on gear box’ gear unavailable’. I’ve read threads on the forum re this issue but it seems a difficult one to resolve with no clear repair pathway. Just hoping one diagnostic result had already is correct.
How many miles has the clutch done and is there any fluid loss from the Comfortmatic gear change reservoirs?

OP
OP
G
Feb 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
IH
How many miles has the clutch done and is there any fluid loss from the Comfortmatic gear change reservoirs?
Hi it’s done approx 35k. Don’t know about fluid loss. Have had diagnostic fault and coming up with P291964 garage (says it’s the coating in clutch that’s come away). Garage doesn’t want to do it as not done clutch change before . 4 other garages also can’t do it as not got ramps even tho van is only 6mtrs.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Hi it’s done approx 35k. Don’t know about fluid loss. Have had diagnostic fault and coming up with P291964 garage (says it’s the coating in clutch that’s come away). Garage doesn’t want to do it as not done clutch change before . 4 other garages also can’t do it as not got ramps even tho van is only 6mtrs.
It may be height is the problem, or weight.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
That code is more likely a glitch in the clutch fluid system. The first thing the garage need to look at is if there is any fluid loss in the clutch bell housing or reservoir. If there is no fluid loss then a KISS point reset procedure (self calibration enable) may be all that is required. If they insist that the coating has come away then ask how they know, it is more likely some small plastic fragments from the clutch damper spring covers. These can sometimes be solved by doing a clutch bleed procedure which opens/closes the clutch a few times and dislodges any bits that have found their way to the friction plate

OP
OP
G
Feb 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
IH
That code is more likely a glitch in the clutch fluid system. The first thing the garage need to look at is if there is any fluid loss in the clutch bell housing or reservoir. If there is no fluid loss then a KISS point reset procedure (self calibration enable) may be all that is required. If they insist that the coating has come away then ask how they know, it is more likely some small plastic fragments from the clutch damper spring covers. These can sometimes be solved by doing a clutch bleed procedure which opens/closes the clutch a few times and dislodges any bits that have found their way to the friction plate
This is really really helpful. Thank you so much for taking time to explain it so clearly. I’ve managed to find 2 garages today (Fiat) who will do the job, both quoting a shocking £9k-10.8k. So I’ll definately ensure they do what you suggested first. Thank you again.

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
This is really really helpful. Thank you so much for taking time to explain it so clearly. I’ve managed to find 2 garages today (Fiat) who will do the job, both quoting a shocking £9k-10.8k. So I’ll definately ensure they do what you suggested first. Thank you again.
As said before, get it to Portsmouth , Adams Morey now gives a 10% discount to all forum members and at least they know what they are doing, just wildly throwing a 9/10.8 quote at a customer without proper diagnosis is already enough of a sign to run away, you can’t quote for something unless you have investigated what the problem is, it’s completely unacceptable behaviour of a so called authorised Fiat professional dealer.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
That's outrageous. My gearbox out, clutch and slave cylinder replaced £1300. Okay not a Comfortmatic but that couldn't possibly br £8000 of work. They don't want the job, just won't say it.
If it's not driveable it's worth paying for recovery to someone more reasonable, such as Adams Morley.

Sep 20, 2015
Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 79R
Exp
since 2014
If it's a Comfortmatic also check the clutch fluid level. The clutch fluid quanty is very small and just topping it up, if very low, can solve the problem BUT if it does solve it then get the fluid changed asap. It should be replaced every 2 yrs max. If it's low and topping it up doesn't solve it then it could be the slave cylinder particularly if you can see clutch fluid weeping from the bell housing.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Run a mile from them they haven't got a clue.
If the slave cylinder is gone it may need a new DMF & clutch so you could be looking at £3k but not £10k.
As said Adams Morey Portsmouth are the experts on Comformatic's.

Aug 18, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
im a newbie
Your heading title says ‘Gear not available ‘. Do you mean you can’t get a particular gear and would that gear happen to be 5th or do you mean you can’t get any gears ?

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Your heading title says ‘Gear not available ‘. Do you mean you can’t get a particular gear and would that gear happen to be 5th or do you mean you can’t get any gears ?

It's a Comfortmatic gearbox so computer says no!

Mar 21, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Don't own yet
Exp
New
I had to have new clutch and flywheel fitted for my comfortmatic in Lisbon a few months ago, cost about 1600 euros parts and labour. 5 tonne vehicle had done about 50 000 miles. Very poor in my opinion.... I operate 40 tonne trucks that can do a million kms before clutch replacement!

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
I had to have new clutch and flywheel fitted for my comfortmatic in Lisbon a few months ago, cost about 1600 euros parts and labour. 5 tonne vehicle had done about 50 000 miles. Very poor in my opinion.... I operate 40 tonne trucks that can do a million kms before clutch replacement!
Did they diagnose a failed CSC and friction plate contamination, or was it a mechanical failure?

Nov 7, 2014
uk Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
20 plus YEARS
I use Walsh Garage in Yeadon Leeds for many years repairs-service -MOT. They have a pit to do the work size no problem. Tel 01132508635
Dougnew

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Run a mile from them they haven't got a clue.
If the slave cylinder is gone it may need a new DMF & clutch so you could be looking at £3k but not £10k.
As said Adams Morey Portsmouth are the experts on Comformatic's.
This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^run away from them & find someone who knows what they are doing at a sensible price like AM.

Jan 8, 2020
North Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
January 2012
My Fiat Ducato clutch started slipping within 20 miles from home, on our way to Dover. Naturally we returned home and took the MH to David Peel Auto electrics in Keighley. They have tough lifting gear as they service lorries and other heavy vehicles. I've used them for MOT and the like many times.
Sadly the clutch was misbehaving and the total bill came to over £900.
However I am now writing to you from Greece so it seems to be working just fine.
Address:
Brewery Street
Keighley
BD21 4JQ
Tel: 01535 662078

Good luck.

Ian

Apr 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Take mine for MOT at M Toft and Sons Wakefield. Not used them for service or repair as have my neighbour mechanic but seen a few Mohos in there. Big garage and they do all the work for Gee transport so would have the facilities. Might be worth a phone call.

Jul 15, 2023
Eggborough, Goole, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 649
Exp
Since 2003
Try googling 3c automotive at Eggborough, one of his lifts is 7t and takes a lwb sprinter. He does get busy.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I’ve managed to find 2 garages today (Fiat) who will do the job, both quoting a shocking £9k-10.8k. So I’ll definately ensure they do what you suggested first
£9k to £10.5k.....id tell them if they don't want the job, which they obviously don't, to just say so instead of taking the p!55.
I could accept that as an engine replacement but for just a clutch. :Eeek:

OP
OP
G
Feb 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
IH
Did they diagnose a failed CSC and friction plate contamination, or was it a mechanical failure?
hi thanks for your reply, so far one garage has got the diagnostic fault but wont do the work, it's clutch related that's all we know currently - although the fault has since disappeared off the dash and the gear will now engage (but can't risk doing nothing in case fault returns).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back