LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Eurotunnel also allow you to turn up up to 24hrs AFTER your departure time without any problem.

Try that on the ferries!

Ian

Diane1969

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
Tunnel every time, don't even compare prices, not interested, and our crossings are mainly free anyway with Tesco points
interesting that I keep reading Tunnel is more expensive as when i booked which was the end of last year it was cheaper than the Ferries and I used Tesco clubcard to pay and it didn't change the price I'd seen on line

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We always used the ferry before dog.
Now it's tunnel, quicker, easier and nicer.
Last year we bought the frequent traveller-December-as we took the car & MoHo to France-property sitting so that was 4 uses.
We were supposed to be helping on a French campsite (due to family health, had to abandon that one) that would have been 4 uses too as we would have needed the car there.
So took the van to F for 10 days last month that was 2 uses.
Up to 6 so far.
We hope to go for another short trip soon and another one as a booze cruise before Xmas.
So there is our 10 crossings. The only extra expense is £11 for the MoHo and the £30something for the dog!
If we bought the frequent traveller again we would try to share with someone.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
The tunnel maybe dearer,but when I took the ferries,once we had been upstairs had a coffee and a plate on mush,then the ferries costs more,get on train turn chair,plug in tv,watch part of a episode of mrs browns boys,and u r there lol

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
We have only been over in the MH once which was this
Easter and used the Tunnel. The Ferry from Portsmouth would be far better for us as it is only "Up the Road". However, because of the dogs we would only thought about the tunnel because of having to leave them in the MH for the crossing. I am sure they would be fine, but I would feel uneasy about it. I am therefore prepared to travel to Folkstone and then drive wherever from Calais. It maybe the long way around and certainly far more in fuel to drive from Calais to the West coast of France, but we do have the added advantage of Tesco stumping up the vast majority of the cost, so it off sets some if not all of the fuel cost. We will have to plan our trips accordingly, but I can still only see us using the Tunnel. Dogs, Time to cross and Tesco Vouchers will always win I think.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Yes, but then you have to shop in Tesco for a year to get enough points.
A year in Pergatory might be preferable. :whistle::whistle::D

Richard.

You don't need to shop in Tesco to get the points. You can shop wherever you like and just use a Tesco Credit Card. Admittedly you'll get more points if you shop in Tesco and use your Tesco Credit Card but definitely not compulsory!

Denise

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I don't have a Tesco card, I don't get seasick, and I quite like the Dover-Calais boat journey as I can sit out in the fresh air for a while before a long day's driving. The photographic opportunities are sometimes interesting too.

I don't get claustrophobic either but I find the tunnel utterly tedious. As the great man once said, there's more to life than increasing its speed.

OP
OP
ymfb

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
In September we will be using the Portsmouth to Santander ferry to get us and our motorcycles to Spain. We did the same last year and were presently surprised how quickly the journey passed.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I have just booked my Tunnel tickets for the Summer and they cost £260 return. If I wanted to save on the fuel money driving all the way to the Tunnel and get a Portsmouth ferry, it cost circa £650. Now with the poorest of fuel economic MoHo, I can say that it is still a no brainer and will use the tunnel again!!(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back