Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
Doesn't matter why, except I'd be interested but which do you prefer.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Tunnel maybe nice and quick when there are no delays but I don't like the painful ears I get from the pressure wave when the train enters the tunnel, plus we only live 20 mile from Newhaven so ferry for us.

OP
OP
ymfb

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
we prefer the ferry but thats because we are only an hour from Portsmouth and on a good run 2-1/2 to the Chunnel. Caen is generally nearer to where we want to be

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Tunnel is quick and convenient but more expensive.....unless you take out a Frequent Traveller package. Then it is cheaper than ferries.

Richard.

BMM

Free Member
May 26, 2017
Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a Newbie
big_boats_print1.jpg

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Tunnel every time for us. We won't even consider any ferries until they sort out something sensible for the dogs. Sensible means not leaving them in the vehicle and not putting them in kennels neither of which will ever be an option as far as I'm concerned.

I also like the speed, convenience and flexibility of the tunnel. No ferry can come close on any of those things.

GWG

Free Member
Oct 15, 2015
Paignton, Devon
Funster No
MH
C. Bessacarr 496
Exp
2 years (40 years Caravan)
Tunnel, as we have dogs, and they stay in van with us. Easier less stress for them.

OP
OP
ymfb

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
on Brittany Ferries there are dog friendly cabins, certainly Portsmouth to Caen and Santander

Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
Ferry for us but that's because I get claustrophobic
Is it like that? I imagine being closed in, but also we have a Bailey and someone else said when going thru the bit between carriages its tight ?
Would love to find courage for tunnel

Floydster

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 21, 2013
Where ever I lay my hat
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A lifetime
Tunnel for us too, don't like boats, live less than an hour from the tunnel, frequent travellers cheaper and it's faster(y)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Ferry for us but that's because I get claustrophobic
Is it like that? I imagine being closed in, but also we have a Bailey and someone else said when going thru the bit between carriages its tight ?
Would love to find courage for tunnel
Honestly don't know you are on it , shut your eyes and you are not moving and as light as if you are outside, twenty mins of living down on your bed and you are there(y)
Was behind four coaches this afternoon , drove on as if it was open road.

Oct 8, 2016
bognor regis
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano 675G
Exp
10 years
Must have done at least 50 journeys in the tunnel, great service , quick and easy, perfect if you have a dog. We use the FT programme.

OP
OP
ymfb

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
I've done both many times on m/c and in the car, but not with a MH.

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Both.....tunnel when we are not in a rush to get back to work and ferry when in a rush. It's worth the extra sometimes as it is a 4 hour drive back from Folkestone !!! We live in Poole so the ferry is soooooo convenient but this August it is nearly £200 more than going through the tunnel including fuel to Folkestone and back. :(

OP
OP
ymfb

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
The other positive aspect of the ferry is we haven't seen any signs of the terrible scenes that await HGVs in France.

OP
OP
ymfb

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
Both.....tunnel when we are not in a rush to get back to work and ferry when in a rush. It's worth the extra sometimes as it is a 4 hour drive back from Folkestone !!! We live in Poole so the ferry is soooooo convenient but this August it is nearly £200 more than going through the tunnel including fuel to Folkestone and back. :(
Thats interesting as we are not so far away from you, but see the drive to Folkestone as a big disincentive for the tunnel. It makes the actual arrival time at the terminal a lottery, even worse with all the M3 closures and restrictions.

OP
OP
ymfb

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
Do MH go with cars or HGVs ?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If any one is worried about the tunnel in any way there is some one on here got you tube things about it, think it is @keith something, they are excellent .

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thats interesting as we are not so far away from you, but see the drive to Folkestone as a big disincentive for the tunnel. It makes the actual arrival time at the terminal a lottery, even worse with all the M3 closures and restrictions.

Agreed, I would personally pay the extra for the ferry but hubby is a little frugal lol, although he does find the drive back a bit tedious these days. Unfortunately I am restricted to school holidays with my job so prices are always high.

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We have always been with cars on the tunnel and on the ferry from Poole(4m high) although we have to wait on the ferry for them to raise the inside roof to let us off. Once we were first on and right at the front so no roof to raise and straight off..kettle on in 5 minutes. Not so lucky this year, last on and mast off and a rubbish queue at customs.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Tunnel:- Annual multi-ticket, followed by Tesco vouchers or if required will share with fellow Funster at some stage; no issue if late as there is always another one along soon; no gathering passports, credit cards, jackets, climbing steep stairs and searching for a quiet place to sit then squeezing back down the stairs or - have a snooze in my bed; queueing for food offers/coffee or go with my own picnic, especially on the way home; no bashing from others opening doors; no sea sickness; time to change clocks; no issue with dog. Tunnel every time.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
on Brittany Ferries there are dog friendly cabins, certainly Portsmouth to Caen and Santander

One dog per cabin so if you have two dogs you need to book two cabins and so on.

Hideously expensive way to do it. The also have very few cabins so they get booked very quickly.

I looked once for an out of season return trip on the Santander run. For three of us and two dogs it was about £1700.

I could take the tunnel and drive to Santander and back twice for less than that.

Also completely useless if you aren't headed South.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

In the over height carriages of a car train.

You would not be allowed on a freight train even if you wanted to.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back