Ferry cancelled- Tomorrow- Portsmouth to Santander (1 Viewer)

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Biscay has had storms and rough seas for several days now.

Worst was violent storm force 11 a few days ago (I have been in an 11 on the North sea and it's not pleasant).

Yours is not the only cancelation in recent days.

The added problem is that Brittany ferries simply don't have capacity on the Spanish routes. That's even without weather cancelations and ship refits due to fire and maintenance.

Brittany Ferries have new ships on order, being leased from stena line with an option to purchase.

But these are Chinese e-flexers coming from China, but not until 2021 and 2022.

In the meantime, BF have leased Conomera. Branded as "economie", it's to try and keep up with demand. An 80% increase on the Spanish routes.

15 years or so ago, in winter, we were often
The only motorhome on board. Have you seen the numbers now !?.

I remember too when Brittany ferries only sailed to Spain up until October. Leaving just P&O's POB To serve winter

And BF's profits are a far cry from the big losses and strikes of 5 years ago.

I just don't think Brittany Ferries planned ahead with fleet renewal.

But, think safety and comfort over anything else. Better to get through France if needs be.

I know none of my waffling helps. But if it makes you feel better, we are heading over in our car in a few days. Hoping ours does not get cancelled as we are not allowed on Eurotunnel.

I wouldn't bother if we had the motorhome and we would have everything with us. Home from home.

I would simply go through France using the old BIS routes.

Happy & safe travels

Trevor

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Winter tyres are not a legal requirement in Norway, or weren't ?

We were told that they are from 15 November to 31 March.

We had a screw embedded in one of our tyres and went to a large tyre unit. They fitted us in but said they were incredibly busy changing tyres for customers because of the winter regulations. On another occasion we spoke at length to a fire officer about life in Norway in general. During the course of the conversation he said we didn't need chains. He looked at our tyres and said they complied with the winter regulations.

Certainly you'd have to be mad to drive without them here!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Som Port ,Portalet etc: northern spain . chains required to continue if snowing or likely.
Bottom end on to Toulouse Tam Northernraider had snow last year & went a different way to enter spain.

**I'll be going som port next month & will have to get a couple of sets of chains to be on the safe side.
Got snow chains at home,,easy to put on ,,a bugger to take off which you have to do once you are back on tarmac..Snow socks are much easier.BUSBY.

Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
A warning!

If you have not declared the correct length or height, don’t be surprised if you get a hefty surcharge at the check-in.

Worse still, you may get refused boarding due to limited space.

Brittany ferries now use a database for exact car dimensions.

So if your car is 5.1m long, you pay over the standard car price of 5m.

Also, Brittany ferries are in the process of contacting customers by telephone to confirm registration numbers of cars when space is at a premium.

And if you have booked a 6.2m panel van as 6m. Don’t be surprised if you are told on the phone they have no space and cannot take you.

I know motorhomes vary hugely with bike racks, tow bars etc. But the tape measures were out at Plymouth last month !,

Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Toady, your stomach might be very grateful.

Also if Biscay were rough I would want to know that my MH and the 44tonners near to it were well strain-chained to the deck. And what about the 44tonner's load?[EDIT particularly curtain-siders]

When I was flying the car ferries across the channel all vehicles were lashed on every flight regardless of weather forecast.

Geoff

Were you piloting Hovercrafts Geoff?

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Were you piloting Hovercrafts Geoff?

No, Bristol Freighters (B 170) Mk 32. Originally from Southampton to Jersey, Guernsey and Cherbourg till the base was closed, then from Lydd to Le Touquet and Calais. We loaded the cars up a ramp and through clamshell doors in the nose. They could take 3 medium-sized cars.

This was back in 1967-8-9 when Pontius was a pilot.

Geoff

OP
OP
Toady
Jan 1, 2019
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 PL
Exp
Since 2017
All looking good with BF. Even had a lovely e-mail off them. OH is flapping as we have not done such a long trip before (4 months) and we broke down in France last year (worth another thread)

Might go backpacking in Syria next year as less hassle!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Heading out towards Biscay
15738999955489029158234214958200.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun