Ferry cancelled- Tomorrow- Portsmouth to Santander (1 Viewer)

Jan 1, 2019
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 PL
Exp
Since 2017
Just notified our ferry has been cancelled tomorrow from Portsmouth to Santander. This is the second cancellation. First was due to refit and tomorrow is due to weather. Strange as a check of the weather shows no significant issues. Next available date is the 29th Nov!!

Portsmouth to Le Havre booked for Friday instead. We have a dog and longish MH so logistical issues. OH is bouncing as we now have to travel through France. Last year the police were everywhere with cameras (N10)

Oh well, keep the speed down and enjoy the views I suppose (and wine)
Me, positive as ever. What can you do?

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Just notified our ferry has been cancelled tomorrow from Portsmouth to Santander. This is the second cancellation. First was due to refit and tomorrow is due to weather. Strange as a check of the weather shows no significant issues. Next available date is the 29th Nov!!

Portsmouth to Le Havre booked for Friday instead. We have a dog and longish MH so logistical issues. OH is bouncing as we now have to travel through France. Last year the police were everywhere with cameras (N10)

Oh well, keep the speed down and enjoy the views I suppose (and wine)
Me, positive as ever. What can you do?
Will you need snowchains or tyres?
A knew French rule ?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Use compensation to pay tolls avoid speeding issues altogether

it’s a real nuisance getting changed so late hope it works out OK

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I've used that route in choppy water, it can get a tad uncomfortable for the passenger's and a bit of a nightmare for the crew.
1573645739412.png

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Toady, your stomach might be very grateful.

Also if Biscay were rough I would want to know that my MH and the 44tonners near to it were well strain-chained to the deck. And what about the 44tonner's load?[EDIT particularly curtain-siders]

When I was flying the car ferries across the channel all vehicles were lashed on every flight regardless of weather forecast.

Geoff

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
No longer use them N10, too much hassle with the 80k speed limits and overtaking restrictions. We use the A20 freebie to Limoges or Cahor. Then turn right. Much less traffic and hassle

OP
OP
Toady
Jan 1, 2019
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 PL
Exp
Since 2017
Thanks for your thoughts and advice. I will take a look at the A20 route. Cheers

Reactions: f6c

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
No longer use them N10, too much hassle with the 80k speed limits and overtaking restrictions. We use the A20 freebie to Limoges or Cahor. Then turn right. Much less traffic and hassle
I used the N10 once, once was enough never again, probably OK if you are under 3500kg.
A20 is a much nicer road and far fewer lorries.

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
We wandered down using 20 when free and side roads on peage sections, then via Andora (not worth the detour to save a few bob on fuel) the result was a lovely trip but watch your speed. Don't know anything on tyres or chains better check

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
I'm on the Point-Aven tomorrow night St Malo to Portsmouth that's still scheduled ok. Will report back to you ?

OP
OP
Toady
Jan 1, 2019
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 PL
Exp
Since 2017
Like the look of the A20 Limoges route. We plan to head to Toulouse, Perpignan and follow the coast down into Spain. Hopefully snow chains not required?? Plan to use toll free roads where possible as not in a rush but can’t wait to feel the sun on my back. Live in Pembrokeshire and it hasn’t stopped raining?

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
The great thing about a MH is you’re on holiday as soon as you leave home. Drive safe, and enjoy that sun when you get down there ?

Mar 9, 2019
Scotland
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Dakota ’14
Exp
Might need snow chains if you go via Andorra as it was snowing there last week when we came through.
And be aware of demonstrations as you come across the border into Catalonia, apparently they have been closing some roads for the last few days after the election. We weren’t involved and didn’t see anything but have seen it being reported.

Deleted User
We had our ferry cancelled last year the day before travel with Suggested replacement 2 months later as we had 2 large dogs. We went on the tunnel and used the ferry money to pay for tolls with money to spare. Took us 1/2 day longer and an easy drive and so no big deal and we will now always use the tunnel and drive.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Isn't that only if going to the Alps or similar?
Som Port ,Portalet etc: northern spain . chains required to continue if snowing or likely.
I can't image that snow chains would be required on the A20.
Bottom end on to Toulouse Tam Northernraider had snow last year & went a different way to enter spain.

**I'll be going som port next month & will have to get a couple of sets of chains to be on the safe side.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Really. I had no idea the snow was that bad.

We've been driving in knee deep snow for a couple of weeks now and haven't seen anyone with chains on (Norway & Sweden). The snowploughs are out and the roads are cleared. Surely they do that in France?

Granted we have winter tyres and the locals all have to change to them in the autumn.

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
Like the look of the A20 Limoges route. We plan to head to Toulouse, Perpignan and follow the coast down into Spain. Hopefully snow chains not required?? Plan to use toll free roads where possible as not in a rush but can’t wait to feel the sun on my back. Live in Pembrokeshire and it hasn’t stopped raining?
I don't know if you're home now but it's pishing down here in Barry Port.
Phil

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Better to be driving through France wishing you were on the ferry than on the ferry wishing you were driving through France.
Seasickness has two stages: The first is you think you're going to die. The second is you wish you had.

Last edited:

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
I live just off the A20 north of Cahors and no chance of chains being needed with the present forecasts - and pretty unlikely most other times. The snow chains issue is fake news. There is no change from the existing law, which is that some mountain areas require chains or socks on certain roads when it gets snowy. For example, the RN20 south of Ax-Les-Thermes was made a chains-only road to Andorra last Thursday, when 60 cms fell. It seems it's now about a meter after the weekend.

Any mountain route through the Pyrenees will be a bit iffy at present, so if I was heading towards Spain I'd head east for Narbonne and then south to La Jonquera. Monday and Tuesday saw the closure of the A9 southbound at the border due to demonstrations but the CRS eventually went and had a word with them....

Mar 9, 2019
Scotland
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Dakota ’14
Exp
Just off fb.

Traffic Department Warning!
Avoid driving in the following roads of Asturias and León; AP-66, A-67, and N-630. There could be restrictions in the next hours due to the snow.

Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed
Dirección General de Tráfico - EspañaLike Page
6 hrs ·
? ?Ante el riesgo alto de #nevadas ❄️ previstas por @AEMET_ESP a partir de esta noche, #DGT recomienda evitar circular por #carreteras de #Asturias y #León ?❄️#AP66 #A67 y #N630.
Consulta ? e infórmate antes de viajar:
?http://infocar.dgt.es/etraffic/ ☎️ 011 @InformacionDGT

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I live just off the A20 north of Cahors and no chance of chains being needed with the present forecasts - and pretty unlikely most other times. The snow chains issue is fake news. There is no change from the existing law, which is that some mountain areas require chains or socks on certain roads when it gets snowy. For example, the RN20 south of Ax-Les-Thermes was made a chains-only road to Andorra last Thursday, when 60 cms fell. It seems it's now about a meter after the weekend.

Any mountain route through the Pyrenees will be a bit iffy at present, so if I was heading towards Spain I'd head east for Narbonne and then south to La Jonquera. Monday and Tuesday saw the closure of the A9 southbound at the border due to demonstrations but the CRS eventually went and had a word with them....

PMSL

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
We did the Portalet pass through the Pyrenees a couple of days ago. Passable but 2ft of snowbanks on the plowed road at the top, single track in places. Lonely, with minimal traffic. We had no chains, but would think twice next time!

OP
OP
Toady
Jan 1, 2019
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 PL
Exp
Since 2017
“My necks going hard Mam” (refer to High Hopes)

I might stay home. Between the ferry on the high seas and getting stuck in the snow in the Pyrenees I might be better off staying home in Wales in the rain?!

views please?

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Really. I had no idea the snow was that bad.

We've been driving in knee deep snow for a couple of weeks now and haven't seen anyone with chains on (Norway & Sweden). The snowploughs are out and the roads are cleared. Surely they do that in France?

Granted we have winter tyres and the locals all have to change to them in the autumn.

Winter tyres are not a legal requirement in Norway, or weren't ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back