Fair price to install a Maxxair fan? (1 Viewer)

Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Recent
I have had a quote from a local company to supply and fit a Maxxair Fan Deluxe. Their price for supplying is about £50 more than I could buy online but the fitting cost was surprisingly expensive at £600. This seems a lot for what doesn't appear to be a particularly difficult job although having said that I wouldn't want to do it myself! What have others paid for installation?

Does anyone know if Vanbitz do this? I will ask them directly but wondered if anyone knew?

Also, when choosing which colour to have, am I right in thinking the white one won't let light in at night? The blinds seem to have a bad reputation so is one required if you have the white?

Thanks

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Is it to replace an existing roof-light or does it require a new aperture in the roof ?

If it's to replace an existing roof light it does sound expensive .. if a new aperture has to be cut then it is a lot more work

Rate per hour is probably around £60 .. so I would say either way it is expensive.. without looking at the job I would allow four hours ... about half what you have been quoted

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Pablo19
Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Recent
Is it to replace an existing roof-light or does it require a new aperture in the roof ?

If it's to replace an existing roof light it does sound expensive .. if a new aperture has to be cut then it is a lot more work

Rate per hour is probably around £60 .. so I would say either way it is expensive.. without looking at the job I would allow four hours ... about half what you have been quoted
Thanks and exactly what I thought. It's replacing an existing roof light so nothing to cut, just sealing it in and connecting it to the electric supply which is no more than about 4 feet away in a cupboard. I will get another quote I think which is a shame because they are very close and are very well respected.

Apr 7, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e line
Exp
Roadpro fited mine, depends where you are in the UK , I can't remember exact price but it certainly wasn't anywhere near your quote, fantastic service, had a problem with the circuit board on the maxxfan, rather than fault find and try a new board they just replaced the whole unit.
I have the smoked with blind but if you are using the fan then the blind is redundant anyway.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I had a price to supply and fit including the blind for £499 plus VAT, basically just replacing an existing Dometic fan so the power is already there and the hole is cut, £429 Plus VAT without the blind seems good value now reading this ;) main dealer so no problems with water ingress warranty either.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Buy it and drive down to me on my driveway and we’ll fit it together, it’s easy and straightforward I’ve done it before.

That’ll save you £500…👍🏼 and you’ll learn how to do some stuff yourself…😊

I hate people getting ripped off..

OP
OP
Pablo19
Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Recent
Buy it and drive down to me on my driveway and we’ll fit it together, it’s easy and straightforward I’ve done it before.

That’ll save you £500…👍🏼 and you’ll learn how to do some stuff yourself…😊

I hate people getting ripped off..
Thats a great offer, thank you smiffy and I might just take you up on that. Especially in a couple of months time when I am supposed to be retiring!

OP
OP
Pablo19
Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Recent
Roadpro fited mine, depends where you are in the UK , I can't remember exact price but it certainly wasn't anywhere near your quote, fantastic service, had a problem with the circuit board on the maxxfan, rather than fault find and try a new board they just replaced the whole unit.
I have the smoked with blind but if you are using the fan then the blind is redundant anyway.
I'm in Somerset so Daventry is a bit far but thanks anyway

OP
OP
Pablo19
Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Recent
I had a price to supply and fit including the blind for £499 plus VAT, basically just replacing an existing Dometic fan so the power is already there and the hole is cut, £429 Plus VAT without the blind seems good value now reading this ;) main dealer so no problems with water ingress warranty either.
I have asked Davan who are the local Knaus dealer to quote but they haven't come back to me yet. I thought I'd ask for reasons of water ingress. Thanks

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Martin jumar fitted ours. We bought it from Andorra, as we're based in Spain, so got a better price. The fitting was easy.

Some companies are really taking the pppppppppppp

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Biggest pains I found was cleaning the old mastic off and trying to get an electrical feed to the fan.
Other than that it is relatively straight forward. Certainly wouldnt pay £600 for fitting.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
The thing is when a company is pricing something they have to allow for the job being a right pig.

There’s overheads etc to also take into consideration.

If they priced at £200 and it took 4 times as long would you be happy and pay the extra 🤔

I’m guessing not.

Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
I fitted one in place of an existing fan, and there was already a12 volt electric supply.

Took me about 4 hours and I’d never done one before. Easy enough to seal properly. Mine never leaked.

Wouldn’t expect it to take a competent workshop more than 2.5 hours.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
There is a link to mine being fitted in my signature. I can‘t recall it taking me more than about 3 hours and I cut the hole.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Martin jumar fitted ours. We bought it from Andorra, as we're based in Spain, so got a better price. The fitting was easy.

Some companies are really taking the pppppppppppp
That's interesting, hubby wants one (I'll be fitting it) but some of the prices in the UK are stupid. We're in Spain at present and may go back up along the east side so could make a detour to Andorra if the price is right ... 😄

Where in Andorra did you get yours?

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
I installed mine myself, easy.

kelv

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2014
leicester
Funster No
MH
Carthago 145
Exp
Fitted mine not a hard job

IMG_1135.jpeg

IMG_1136.jpeg

IMG_1139.jpeg

IMG_1140.jpeg

IMG_1141.jpeg

IMG_1151.jpeg

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
That's interesting, hubby wants one (I'll be fitting it) but some of the prices in the UK are stupid. We're in Spain at present and may go back up along the east side so could make a detour to Andorra if the price is right ... 😄

Where in Andorra did you get yours?
Screenshot_2024-02-20-21-20-59-951_com.android.chrome.jpg

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
I see you have great offers of help above but for reference a local firm fits maxxair for £495 last time i saw an advert.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Not hijacking the thread but dont you need a voltage stabiliser for these fans?
I've seen the question asked on several RV boards .. it was also discussed here, the general concusses is that it's not an issue and the new model has updated boards

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back