Extension cable had arcked (1 Viewer)

Jan 3, 2017
Huntly
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640 SD
Exp
Since 2004
Could not get extension cable disconnected from the motorhome. Moved a little bit , but even with brute strength only managed to disconnect the power but not the connection. Sought advice and was told it could have arcked and caused the connection to weld together and prevent release. All new parts fitted now and reconnected to the power again. Anyone else had this happen to them.

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
Could not get extension cable disconnected from the motorhome. Moved a little bit , but even with brute strength only managed to disconnect the power but not the connection. Sought advice and was told it could have arcked and caused the connection to weld together and prevent release. All new parts fitted now and reconnected to the power again. Anyone else had this happen to them.
Was that with the standard cable reel fitted to Frankias?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I would have expected signs of burning, blackened smoke marks at least, around the hookup socket as a lot of heat has to be produced to weld it to that extent.
If you managed to break the electrical circuit by pulling but not release the plug it sounds more like a mechanical failure. to me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Cairngorm
Jan 3, 2017
Huntly
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640 SD
Exp
Since 2004
No I replaced the reel , with another connection. Wasn’t really happy with the connection as it seemed stiff to insert but it worked, so nothing to worry about or so I thought. New one’s via Amazon are like Cinderella and her shoe.

OP
OP
Cairngorm
Jan 3, 2017
Huntly
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640 SD
Exp
Since 2004
I would have expected signs of burning, blackened smoke marks at least, around the hookup socket as a lot of heat has to be produced to weld it to that extent.
If you managed to break the electrical circuit by pulling but not release the plug it sounds more like a mechanical failure. to me.
Nothing like that happened , so I think you have made a very valid point.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
does your plug end have some form of mechanical lock on it. when my cable is plugged into the van to remove it i have to push a small plastic lever to the side of the plug in to release the cable.

it will move a few mm but there is no way you could just pull it out.. without the release mechanism.

i appreciate not all plugs have this feature so i may be talking out of my " B side " in this instance:rolleyes:

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Mine has a lever lock. Pain in the bum. Thanks for the info I would have thought that if It arked then it would have melted the plastic.

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
If it has arched I would suspect a lose connection in either the plug or the socket. Most likely the female plug since this gets more abuse than the vehicle socket.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
It can only arc if there is a flow of current. It should be shut down before disconnecting.

OP
OP
Cairngorm
Jan 3, 2017
Huntly
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640 SD
Exp
Since 2004
does your plug end have some form of mechanical lock on it. when my cable is plugged into the van to remove it i have to push a small plastic lever to the side of the plug in to release the cable.

it will move a few mm but there is no way you could just pull it out.. without the release mechanism.

i appreciate not all plugs have this feature so i may be talking out of my " B side " in this instance:rolleyes:
No lock.

H

Hagstrom

Deleted User
We have a 2010 Frankia 8400 and oone day I noticed that our hookup socket (not the blue plug on the end of the extension lead) was blackened, charred and melted. Not sure why and can't recall the exact circumstances eg extended hookup time, heavy load etc.

I replaced the socket and there have been no further issues.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
We spent some time on a seasonal pitch at a prison camp and it’s actually quite common for the hook up leads to weld themselves into the ehu bollards ⚠️
I was talking to the komandant and whilst the club now tries to charge you for repairs he said it’s caused by the poor quality of the newer plugs on the leads ⚠️
Surprise surprise yet more modern rubbish produced as cheaply as possible ???

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
Friends had this exact thing happen last weekend on their caravan, fitting was always difficult but new parts now fitted and all smooth/easy.

D51465A4-5394-433A-B011-13B2DE1767C3.jpeg

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If the plug / socket pins are dirty or slightly corroded a small weld can take place with no visible evidence of burning or heat. A tiny weld will prevent removal of the plug. When removing the plug whilst there's power being used will cause brief arcing or a spark the separation is quick enough to prevent any damage.
In fact most serious over-heating I've seen has been due to the cable connection screws inside the plug being loose. It happened with a couple of the new cables I had over the years so l now check cables before l use them.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
A chap removing one of our wheels in France got a mild shock and was freaking out about needing urgent auto electrician. I checked the plug and the earth was loose. Tightened up problem solved.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
A chap removing one of our wheels in France got a mild shock and was freaking out about needing urgent auto electrician. I checked the plug and the earth was loose. Tightened up problem solved.
I got a little shock off some cable tray earlier this year, we thought we'd screwed through a cable but it turned out the extension the vac pump was connected to had lost it's earth.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I had this happen a few years ago at Thetford Forest C&CC Site - but at the bollard end. No visible damage to the outside of the blue plastic connector - my neighbour thought I was just being a feeble female, but then he couldn’t remove it either. :wink:

Warden was very nice and eventually managed to detach the connector from the bollard - no mention of having to pay for damage. I checked the lead afterwards and the wiring was loose to one of the pins - had only recently bought it at P’boro Show. I wired on a new connector myself and it has been fine ever since.

OP
OP
Cairngorm
Jan 3, 2017
Huntly
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640 SD
Exp
Since 2004
Friends had this exact thing happen last weekend on their caravan, fitting was always difficult but new parts now fitted and all smooth/easy.

View attachment 343215
Mine has the same discolouration on the pin but to a lesser extent. Did your friend disconnect the power just by pulling them apart as I did.

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
A loose connection were the wires are fitted in the plug or socket will cause the offending pin to heat up.
This will happen even with a low current draw.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Yes a loose connection causes a voltage drop and we all know what that causes... P=VxI ?. Times that voltage drop by the amperage and you get a wattage... A wattage that the JOINT ITSELF is using and manifests itself as heat ??

Calamaster

Free Member
Jun 12, 2019
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 6
Exp
Since 2017
If the plug / socket pins are dirty or slightly corroded a small weld can take place with no visible evidence of burning or heat. A tiny weld will prevent removal of the plug. When removing the plug whilst there's power being used will cause brief arcing or a spark the separation is quick enough to prevent any damage.
In fact most serious over-heating I've seen has been due to the cable connection screws inside the plug being loose. It happened with a couple of the new cables I had over the years so l now check cables before l use them.
This is a VERY key point. When disconnecting when power is ON you may have to wiggle connector to get it out. This can cause arcing and meltdown. ALWAYS turn off power at FEED end before pulling plug from MH.

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
A friend of mine drove 200 miles with the orange lead tucked back through a van window because he couldn't get the plug out1
Had always used a 3000w kettle from home as it boiled faster than the caravan low wattage ones!
Now he knows why! It had welded the plug to the wall inlet
Cost them a lot to get the parts replaced by a dealer!
Serves him right dozy sod!

Mike

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We came close to the socket melting the plug. Luckily it became dirty on the pins due to carbon deposit and the supply failed. I now try to remember to vaseline the socket connectors and they connect a lot better

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Heh Mike

I laughed at your mate’s problem. However if he had joined the funsters he could have learnt not to have used a 3kw kettle be gentle with the dozy sod we all have to learn I learn something new every day.?

teknik155

Free Member
Apr 9, 2012
irthlingborough
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2002
When I park up for the winter I always strip my leads and check the wiring,gently sand the connectors and spray inside the sockets, wipe the cables and check for cuts etc. Takes me an hour to do all 4 of them ( 3 traveling ones of various lengths and 1 for the home connection). I have a vacuum bag from a battery delivery and they go in there ready for the next years journey.

Nov 1, 2019
manchester
Funster No
MH
2018 Rollerteam t590
Exp
9 mnths
When I got my van, one of the first jobs was to coat all battery terminal clamps etc. with a dialectric grease and smeared a small amount on ehu cable pins and sockets including the connector pins on the van. When doing this I found the leisure battery clamp positive terminal clamp to be loose, so glad I caught this. On reading other posts I will now include checking the wiring in the ehu plug and socket also. Thanks.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back