Extendible steps replace or repair? (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Yes we knocked our steps off.
We knew we would....
Blooming alarm not loud enough (or early enough) to alert us.
The mechanism albeit a bit skewed is still there and goes in and out but steps gone.
Any idea of cost of repair or replacement?
We'd only get it fixed if they could somehow enhance the alarm system as we'll only be doing it again and this time might hurt someone
(Hymer b654 2006 model)

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
I repaired ours after doing something similar. A sledge hammer and scaffolding pole to straighten the bent bits. A 12mm drill and some 12mm bolts to replace the broken studs. It's now better than when we bought it as I wasn't the first to do it. We still don't have a working alarm but we are now very anal about using a checklist before I drive off.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
We had a check list too but it didnt cover for eventualities such as 'just hopping out to register at campsite reception and hopping in again sharpish as there's a queue behund us'......

Sep 22, 2009
nottingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
Ours are wired into ignition system. Won't go out if engine running. And retract if you try to start the engine whilst extended

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
I asked motorhome dealership if they can do that but they said its complicated ....it needs to have been made that way.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Go to france and take out a lorry driver instead.

Seriously though if the damage isnt that bad then a welt with a club hammer will straighten things out probably. Then have a chat with @eddievanbitz who will be along shortly about the noise and replacement step.

In the short term Wilkinsons or similar do a lightweight portable step. My wife uses it so her feet can touch the ground when she is sat in the big seat known as the passenger seat.

Nov 8, 2015
Rakitnika, Varna, Bulgaria
Funster No
MH
Damon Daybreak RV
Exp
Now in fifth year and with American RV
A replacement set will cost between 250 - 300 pounds depending on size and treads plus fitting, don't be surprised if it costs more to remove the old one than to fit the new one, corrosion takes its toll down there ! The new one can be wired to the alarm that you have or they can be wired to retract automatically on engine start up, if you go the alarm route again maybe consider a higher volume alarm, if you go for auto retract just bear in mind that can suffer failure too without you being aware, checking in the rear view mirror is now on my start off checklist, I am still wearing the teeshirt in memory of my auto retract step that didn't.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
The auto retract ones are OK until you start the engine just as your other half is getting into the van,not done that personally but I know it has happened. :swear2:

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
The auto retract ones are OK until you start the engine just as your other half is getting into the van,not done that personally but I know it has happened. :swear2:
Oh you should try it.
I would suggest removing the alarm to give her that extra shock
It is well worth it
Well for a good 7 or 8 seconds and then another 3 or 4 years of headache

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We have friends that happened to .. She was not amused and finished up falling over backwards. Recipe for disaster. Loud alarm when you turn the ignition on if the steps out.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Oh you should try it.
I would suggest removing the alarm to give her that extra shock
It is well worth it
Well for a good 7 or 8 seconds and then another 3 or 4 years of headache

I knew someone had suffered the repercussions! you'll be lucky if she forgets in 3 or 4 years :LOL:

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I knew someone had suffered the repercussions! you'll be lucky if she forgets in 3 or 4 years :LOL:
Well it was 3 or 4 years ago and she hasnt forgotten yet so i suppose we are both right

Unfortunately, i strongly suspect you may be more right than me.

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
Our step stopped working, something to do with the return switch under the van. I strapped it up and now use a caravan step. It's a lot easier to climb in the MH and I have a label on the gear stick to remind me that the step is out. The van is 11 years old and we hope to get many more miles out of it.

Sep 22, 2009
nottingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
On the last van had a 2nd step fitted for drIvers door (bad knees )they were able to make them auto retract

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Should be simple enough to put a micro switch on the step so when the ignition goes on you have a buzzer if the step is out.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back