Eurotunnel via the Caravan and Motorhome Club (1 Viewer)

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I just booked out spring trip to France / Germany, as usual direct with Eurotunnel on their website. Just out of interest I thought I would check arranging the same booking dates through the Caravan and Motorhome Club, after all their website proclaims.
About us

We are dedicated to exploring all that touring has to offer, ensuring excellent service is provided to our membership."

Yeah right. This was within 24 hours and for the exact same dates going out early May and back early July.

The difference was that going via the club was £79.90 dearer, yes I don't joke, £79.90

Just to make sure prices hadn't changed overnight I tried the same booking going direct to Eurotunnel and it was the same as I had booked the previous day, so the Club was still £79.90 dearer.

So if you are temped to use the Club to book I advise you to try going direct first.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
That is bloody outrageous.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
How else to they pay for the rebrand? :D2

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
We have just booked through the CAMC and saved £20.

OP
OP
iandsm
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
We have just booked through the CAMC and saved £20.

I posted this on another forum and a member said they had the same result, a little cheaper through the Club. I am wondering if the time of year and length stay makes the difference. However it just goes to show that it's wise to check the options before accepting a booking price

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Out of interest I booked last year with the Camping and Caravanning Club and got a small discount but then I had to amend the booking from June until the Autumn as my wife wasn't well. There was then a fee to amend the booking which cancelled out the the saving. I found out later that the Tunnel will change your booking for free so I don't bother with booking through the clubs any more.

Reactions: f6c

t_rifles

Free Member
Feb 18, 2012
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I didn't check for the tunnel but for the ferries last year I found that if you also book sites with them then the discount starts to appear. This was for longer ferry crossings but it may be the same for the tunnel.

Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
I booked through them (Caravan Club at the time) last year as the price was 10% cheaper than booking direct, which is what they advertised.

Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
We are booking using Tesco points

SO we will be paying £0 for our crossing in July
I would do if I used Tesco enough to pay for it - may get a decent discount with them next time though.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
I would do if I used Tesco enough to pay for it - may get a decent discount with them next time though.

Fortunately we have to shop for my mother and the only supermarket around her is the Big T and we get some of our shopping there too - - - so right now we have £60 worth of vouchers which multiplied by three means we can spend £120 with Eurotunnel

My mother always spends around £80 a time too

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Fortunately we have to shop for my mother and the only supermarket around her is the Big T and we get some of our shopping there too - - - so right now we have £60 worth of vouchers which multiplied by three means we can spend £120 with Eurotunnel

My mother always spends around £80 a time too
£60 worth of vouchers are worth £180 not £120. Hopefully you'll have enough vouchers left + what you get next quarter for another trip!

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I didn't check for the tunnel but for the ferries last year I found that if you also book sites with them then the discount starts to appear. This was for longer ferry crossings but it may be the same for the tunnel.

I think the C&MC operates a ferry and campsite package rate. Last time we booked the Chunnel crossing through the CC (as it then was), in order to get the full members' discount my recollection is that we also had to book and pay a minimum one night stay in a campsite listed in the Venture Abroad brochure at the same time. I checked the fares for the same dates / times on the Eurotunnel website before phoning the CC, and the discount the CC offered was worthwhile so we were happy to use them.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Burstner A Class
Exp
Jan.2014

Can I point out that you do not need to shop at Tesco to get the points.
Sure, it would help if you did AND their points for non Tesco shopping has gone down by a factor of four but, if you use a Tesco credit Card for purchases outside Tesco, you will get points.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Talking to family members this morning, I was astounded to hear that they were each charged a £75 booking fee for CCC sorting out their ferry & sites in France/Spain during May. Could this account for much of the difference encountered by some?

Gordon

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
For me the advantage of booking direct with Euro Tunnel (or the ferries) is that you can make changes to reservations much more easily. And their opening/contact times are generally much longer than the Clubs; and 7 days a week too... (y)

In the case of the tunnel, certainly no admin fees for changes.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Now that's not quite the case, is it?

The vouchers, in their original condition had some value had you redeemed them in Tesco, SO, that's what your crossing ticket cost you, not £0.
Still cheap though:)

No my mothers shopping is from Tesco not ours - We use Morrisons Retired Staff Discount card
So our tunnel is £0

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
We saved around £20 booking through the C&MC but if we make any alterations to the booking, try to alter dates because of illness for example, the club charges £20 for altering the booking details but Eurotunnel do not charge.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Not quite your mum could have had the vouchers to spend on her next Tesco shop theres always some cost!!!
Depends how you look at it, as always with these things, if you shop at Tesco without a card you get no points, but if you have a card you do so the points are actually free, you still pay the same at the till, please don't think I am starting an argument, just pointing it out, no pun intended:).
And actually the credit card is a no brainer, costs nothing if paid off every month, and points on everything you buy not necessarily from Tesco , even up to a new motorhome if you like , think of the tunnel crossings you could get with that(y)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Yes might think about the credit card just about to look at ours I think none of them are great except the halifax abroad

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
No my mothers shopping is from Tesco not ours - We use Morrisons Retired Staff Discount card
So our tunnel is £0

Subsidised by your mum's points which she could've used to reduce her shopping bill, so one way or another, it wasn't a £0 crossing.
Still cheap though.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Talking to family members this morning, I was astounded to hear that they were each charged a £75 booking fee for CCC sorting out their ferry & sites in France/Spain during May. Could this account for much of the difference encountered by some?

Gordon
Apparently I was reading some months back in either MMM or C&CC magazine that if you only book a ferry and no ongoing campsite for when you arrive the other side they charge a £75 surcharge. These are not clubs for the benefit of members anymore,nor have they been for some years now,they are multi million pound businesses and us members are subsidising the directors £30-40,000 salaries, you only have to look at some of the prime sites in the Lake District and other popular areas and you’ll find that a lot of the prime pitches overlooking lakes and mountains have been taken up by luxury holiday LODGES, what’s that got to do with camping and caravan, just saying....

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Apparently I was reading some months back in either MMM or C&CC magazine that if you only book a ferry and no ongoing campsite for when you arrive the other side they charge a £75 surcharge. These are not clubs for the benefit of members anymore,nor have they been for some years now,they are multi million pound businesses and us members are subsidising the directors £30-40,000 salaries, you only have to look at some of the prime sites in the Lake District and other popular areas and you’ll find that a lot of the prime pitches overlooking lakes and mountains have been taken up by luxury holiday LODGES, what’s that got to do with camping and caravan, just saying....
It is the C&CC and it is the other way round if you book a site and don't book the ferry through them they charge an additional £75.

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Using the tunnel? Why not join ET Frequent Traveller scheme. £110 return any time (any size MH) of the year.
Colyboy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back