Eurotunnel then transiting through France to Spain (2 Viewers)

Jul 26, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
To many to mention
We need to visit Spain to sign some official papers. Not thinking of travelling until after 2nd December when hopefully we are allowed. I have the necessary proof that my visit is needed which if we are stopped by Spanish police should be accepted, but am not sure what the position is transiting through France. I am hoping that someone may have already done this for work etc and could let me know what the position is at check in and exiting in France via Eurotunnel, also have they been stopped on route in France and what paperwork was asked for. I know the French have a form they have to complete i think on a daily basis if leaving home, would we have to complete the same form. It would only be a short visit and I think the return journey would not be a problem except quarantine when we get back to UK which we would do.
I do not want to delay this as we may have a 3rd lockdown when we could not travel at all.
We would be social distancing at all times so not worried about catching or transmitting anything, so please no COVID police just hoping for some helpful advice.

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
We should get a better idea this evening - M. Macron will be on TV to outline the plans for Dec 1st onward.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Sorry to be a killjoy, but wouldn't it be simpler, cheaper, and quicker to just fly down to Spain.
Not much fun travelling in the van in most places with everything either shut down for Covid or the winter season.
PS: I would always choose van over flight, but these are strange times, and it would get the job done.
LES

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Sorry to be a killjoy, but wouldn't it be simpler, cheaper, and quicker to just fly down to Spain.
Not much fun travelling in the van in most places with everything either shut down for Covid or the winter season.
PS: I would always choose van over flight, but these are strange times, and it would get the job done.
LES
My thoughts exactly but didn't like to say :unsure: get a cheapo Ryanair and you will be there for less than it will cost to get to the tunnel never mind the fare.

OP
OP
Edenside
Jul 26, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
To many to mention
We don’t like flying, we are not taking the van, this is not a holiday. We both drive so taking the car, one will sleep while the other drives so cuts out the need for an overnight stop in France. I don’t think it would be any cheaper flying, we have Frequent Traveller journeys to use so don’t need airport parking or car hire. Also if flying we both need the COVID test at a cost of approx £120 each.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Please forgive my suggestion, we were not fully aware of your situation, or associated additional costs.
Its a shame your papers cannot be done by post, witness by a solicitor over here maybe, I dont envy your car journey, but good luck, stay safe.
LES

Guerrilla

Free Member
Nov 10, 2020
Essex
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance
Exp
Since 2016
Not sure but don't you need a negative covid test to enter Spain at present?

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
we are doing this sort of

we are in Spain atm and had 2 flights home for christmas cancelled by Ryanair so we are driving home in the moho and booked a tunnel crossing for Dec 6th

We then intend to return on Dec 27th and get back in Spain on the 29th fingers crossed.

We have booking confirmation for when we return so hopefully we’ll be OK 👌

Nomadian

Free Member
Feb 21, 2020
Not up Jim’s arse like some
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
More than some less than others

One of the points states that if you are travelling through France in less than 24 hours then you are ok.
it would be a long drive but it is doable.

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018

One of the points states that if you are travelling through France in less than 24 hours then you are ok.

easy peasy 😉

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002

I wouldn't be too sure about that, tbh. If you mean the 'If you are transiting for less than 24 hours in an international zone' line, that refers to something like a transit area in an airport, I believe.

To travel through France to another country, it seems that the proviso is that it is for the purpose of travelling to your country of residence.

It might be relaxed this evening, waiting to find out. 🙂

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I had two gendarmes in the house today. No I haven’t been naughty lol It was the surprise visit they make to interview you before your nationality interview at the Prefecture and we discussed travel at the moment and they said not allowed except for the reasons on the attestation . Reference tonight’s information from Macron they have been told the attestation is staying so no change re travel .

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
Not sure about the legalities bu I flew to Geneva then taxi to lake annecy in France , picked up my repaired MH then drove the 500 miles back to the tunnel, went through 2 checks but never got stoped , the taxi driver said I should have an attestation , he showed me his to pick me up from the airport, maybe I was just lucky 🤕

This was his attestation on his phone
8463B889-F70E-4F0A-B154-5768FA2B07FC.jpeg

Nomadian

Free Member
Feb 21, 2020
Not up Jim’s arse like some
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
More than some less than others
I wouldn't be too sure about that, tbh. If you mean the 'If you are transiting for less than 24 hours in an international zone' line, that refers to something like a transit area in an airport, I believe.

To travel through France to another country, it seems that the proviso is that it is for the purpose of travelling to your country of residence.

It might be relaxed this evening, waiting to find out. 🙂
Point 1 also states

1. If you are arriving from a country on the list below, you can enter metropolitan France without any COVID-19 restrictions.

Member States of the European Union, Andorra, Australia, the Holy See, Iceland, Japan, Liechtenstein, Monaco, New Zealand, Norway, Rwanda, San Marino, South Korea, Singapore, Switzerland, Thailand and the United Kingdom.

confused of Yorkshire 🙄😂

edit. If you are travelling to prebooked accommodation in Spain could this be classed as your temporary residence? So you are allowed to transit? I know I’m possibly clutching at straws

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
Point 1 also states

1. If you are arriving from a country on the list below, you can enter metropolitan France without any COVID-19 restrictions.

Member States of the European Union, Andorra, Australia, the Holy See, Iceland, Japan, Liechtenstein, Monaco, New Zealand, Norway, Rwanda, San Marino, South Korea, Singapore, Switzerland, Thailand and the United Kingdom.

confused of Yorkshire 🙄😂

edit. If you are travelling to prebooked accommodation in Spain could this be classed as your temporary residence? So you are allowed to transit? I know I’m possibly clutching at straws

I cannot answer that question :rolleyes:

The attestation requirements remain until 15th Dec for now, with some relaxations but nothing mentioned re transit travel

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp

Broken Link Removed

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I cannot answer that question :rolleyes:

The attestation requirements remain until 15th Dec for now, with some relaxations but nothing mentioned re transit travel
As we thought not much change for me lol Nearest town is 25 km so no walk by the river :-( I guess we are not allowed to travel further than our nearest town to shop either even though they are open :-( There are shops in Brive I would like to visit ( quickly in and out ! ) but that is 50 km away

Last edited:

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I'm confused.com 🤣. Sounds like you cannot transit France enroute to Spain?

I would assume no as nothing has changed re the attestation except as residents we can exercise within 20km and for 3 hours except 1km and 1 hour.

People I think have always been able to transit to return home .

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
Here's a summary of the plan from Saturday, mainly for anyone in France, taken from The Connexion this evening. However, in respect of transitting France, it looks like 15th Dec is possible, given that inter-regional travel is planned to be permitted. Note the 2100-0700 curfew. The usual caveat - I really don't know what border controls will still apply.

Saturday, November 28:

People will now be allowed to leave their house for up to three hours within 20 kilometres of their house for exercise
All shops and home services will be allowed to open until 21:00 under strict sanitary protocol. This includes book shops, clothes shops, hairdressers, etc.
Services in places of worship will be allowed again, "within the strict limit of thirty people"
Outdoor extracurricular school activities will be allowed
The system of exemption certificates (attestations de déplacement) will remain in place
Work from home (télétravail) measures are to remain unchanged

The president, talking about this first step, said, "it will be necessary to continue to stay at home, to work from home when possible, to not hold private meetings and family gatherings and to avoid all unnecessary travel."

Tuesday, December 15

If the number of daily Covid-19 cases remains below 5,000 and the number of patients in intensive care units is between 2,500 and 3,000 people:

Lockdown will end
A curfew from 21:00 to 07:00 will be put in place across France but measures will not apply on December 24 and December 31. However, large family gatherings discouraged
Inter-regional travel permitted
Cinemas, theatres and museums can reopen

Wednesday, January 20 (if the number of daily cases remains below 5,000):

Restaurants, cafés, gyms, sports halls can reopen but bars and nightclubs must remain closed. No date has been set for when they can reopen.
Full classes will resume in schools instead of the current restriction on numbers
Two weeks later, universities can open and have in-person classes

Oct 25, 2015
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4t
Exp
Since 2016
I believe France are allowing transit through the country for EU citizens which of course we won’t be in 6 weeks time. Don’t shoot the messenger!

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Beware, Kent police stopped 8 Bulgarians at the Port trying to go home with all their stuff after leaving their UK address, they were stopped from going on the ferry by the DHB who called the Kent police. They were all fined . An hour or so later they were ALL arrested at the Eurotunnel for attempting to leave the country without due reason. They were not allowed to leave but no alternative in the UK. Jobsworths abound around here now, I do not know what happened after that to them.

May 23, 2015
Weston super Mare
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 1992
We don’t like flying, we are not taking the van, this is not a holiday. We both drive so taking the car, one will sleep while the other drives so cuts out the need for an overnight stop in France. I don’t think it would be any cheaper flying, we have Frequent Traveller journeys to use so don’t need airport parking or car hire. Also if flying we both need the COVID test at a cost of approx £120 each.
And all that mixing on the plane and airports each way

May 23, 2015
Weston super Mare
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 1992
Beware, Kent police stopped 8 Bulgarians at the Port trying to go home with all their stuff after leaving their UK address, they were stopped from going on the ferry by the DHB who called the Kent police. They were all fined . An hour or so later they were ALL arrested at the Eurotunnel for attempting to leave the country without due reason. They were not allowed to leave but no alternative in the UK. Jobsworths abound around here now, I do not know what happened after that to them.
They should have been coming then they would be put up in Hotel and well looked after

Sue Gath

Free Member
May 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I’m a newbie
If you are travelling to Spain you need a COVID free certificate unless you are resident !!! I know this because we have a house there and get regular updates from our neighbours and friends who are resident .
It’s a 6000 euro fine if you don’t have one !!!

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I see the OP has not commented for a while on this post, so he is either well peed off, or maybe just as confused as we are, but I think its clearer that its not going to be that easy to know anything for certain before the new year.
Well that's Covid for you, "unprecedented times" springs to mind.
Keep safe everyone, hopefully the R rates will decrease, and we can proceed with caution in the new year.
LES

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
I believe France are allowing transit through the country for EU citizens which of course we won’t be in 6 weeks time. Don’t shoot the messenger!

Only if you're travelling to your country of residence or nationality:

2. If you are in another country, you are recommended to limit international travel as much as possible. If you however must travel, you can only enter France if your journey meets one of the following criteria for exceptions:
  • If you are a French national (you may be accompanied by your spouse and children);
  • If you are a European Union citizen or a national of Andorra, the Holy See, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino, Switzerland or the United Kingdom, and your main residence is in France or you are crossing France to reach your country of nationality or residence (you may be accompanied by your spouse and children);
  • If you hold a valid French or European residence permit or long-stay visa and your main residence is in France or you are crossing France to reach your residence in the European space;

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back