European Union referendum and motorhomes over seas (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
In my post I merely pointed out that the EHIC card was not an EU entity but run by the EEA.

The UK would always have its trade with the EU as a bargaining point.

Switzerland voted not to join the EEA and managed to get a separate deal, so it is possible.

Do EEA countries pay into the EU?

Its worrying that you still have a vote...
::bigsmile:

Terry

"Do EEA countries pay in" .......Yes ask the Norwegians . Their minister said they pay the equivalent to the UK without having any input.
@fastpat has clarified the Swiss position.

Anyone who is in the EEA or like the Swiss , in the EFTA has exactly the same conditions imposed on them to get any agreements that being a full me,ber entails.
A UK out vote & wanting ANY sort of deal re; trade with the EU & the first thing would be " Open Borders" .

Glad you mentioned the Switzerland position:

"The cornerstone of EU-Swiss relations is the Free Trade Agreement of 1972.

As a consequence of the rejection of theEEA membership in 1992, Switzerland and the EU agreed on a package of seven sectoral agreements signed in 1999 (known in Switzerland as "Bilaterals I"). These include: free movement of persons, technical trade barriers, public procurement, agriculture and air and land transport. In addition, a scientific research agreement fully associated Switzerland into the EU's framework research programmes.

A further set of sectoral agreements was signed in 2004 (known as "Bilaterals II"), covering, inter alia, Switzerland's participation in Schengen and Dublin, and agreements on taxation of savings, processed agricultural products, statistics, combating fraud, participation in the EU Media Programme, the Environment Agency, and Swiss financial contributions to economic and social cohesion in the new EU Member States.

In 2010 an agreement was signed on Swiss participation in EU education, professional training and youth programmes.

In overall, around 100 bilateral agreements currently exist between the EU and Switzerland.

The on-going implementation of these agreements obliges Switzerland to take over relevant Community legislation in the covered sectors.

These bilateral agreements between the EU and Switzerland are currently managed through a structure of more than 15 joint committees"

So they had to open their borders and agree to be governed by EU legislation without any input to that legislation, seems like a worsening of our current position, oh hang on a minute I'm being all negative, perhaps because it is all negative!

The only bit you left out was last year when the Swiss said they were proposing introducing border checks again , due to migrant crisis, & the EU told them " Well I hope you are tearing up the agreements also ? " That was the end of that.:LOL:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I've mentioned the word 'Semantics' on another thread and politicians are masters of making the english language mean whatever THEY want it to mean.

This morning we received a flyer from the 'In' campaign.
On the flyer is a photo of Sir Hugh Orde, in Full Police Uniform.
This man was, (please note)WAS the former President of ACPO the Chief Constables association.
That much is stated.
What isn't stated is that this man is no longer a Policeman. He retired from the Police Service in October 2014 which in political terms is a lifetime ago.
Prior to his retirement he was the CC of the Police Service in Northern Ireland.

The thing that goes right up my nose is that it is an offence under Police Discipline Regs punishable by dismissal, for any Policeman to take an active part in politics. That goes right down to something as trivial as posting a poster in the window of the house at election time.

It is also a Criminal Offence for somebody to impersonate a Police Officer as it is also an offence to wear the uniform.

Nowhere in the blurb of this flyer does this flyer state that this man is no longer a Policeman.
If they wished to use his name and his out of date comments, fair enough, but don't have photo's of him in a uniform I was proud to wear.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I apologise for posting my diatribe above in the "wrong" thread. I only saw the first four words of the threads title.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
I think the EHIC will no longer be valid.
We know someone who tried to use their Ehic card in Spain very recently. Hospital weren't interested in it at all - just kept asking for their travel insurance details, so I don't think the EHIC would be an incentive for me to vote 'in'!

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
We know someone who tried to use their Ehic card in Spain very recently. Hospital weren't interested in it at all - just kept asking for their travel insurance details, so I don't think the EHIC would be an incentive for me to vote 'in'!
I suspect they had gone to a private hospital / doctor?

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
We used our EHIC for treatment in Valencia Region in Spain. I needed treatment and produced my card at a Central Salud in Pilar de Horadada (open 24/7 no appointment needed). A form was filled in and I saw a doctor within 5 minutes. Excellent treatment by a Russia (English speaking) doctor. I now have a card saying I am registered with the Valancia Region for further treatment. There was no charge and the prescriptions cost £15 euro at the Farmacia. I do not live or have a residence in Spain just passing through as a tourist.

On the topic of Visas. I could cause issues/delays for those of us travelling overland as we would need a visa for each country we visit, unless there is an EU visa. At present under the EU you are required to register if you are resident in one region (even on a campsite) for over 3 months in Spain or if you are in any one country for over 182 days.

At present all borders are open including the UK despite the UK Borders Agency's efforts. We left and entered the UK unchecked on our last winter trip. However at times they do make a show of checking, it is not consistent so it is ineffective. You can't just man a border during some hours of daylight and claim to have secure borders.

Last edited:

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
The trouble with all this, is nobody, including both sides have any actual facts. All we get is an opinion and speculation as what might happen, not what will happen. So how can the voters, without actual facts, make a sensible reasoned decision as to which way they want to vote.

Having said that, I'm out. :)

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
...At present under the EU you are required to register if you are resident in one region (even on a campsite) for over 3 months in Spain or if you are in any one country for over 182 days....

Not quite correct, there is no EU rules to say you must register, if fact under EU rules say you can live where ever you like. But in a typical EU fudge countries are allowed to insist you register but they must bare the cost. What they do to their own citizen is not a EU matter. Therefore when I worked in Germany I was required to register, Luckily a German workmate had moved house and had to re-register. I went with him so he could show me the procedure. He was a bit miffed when he had to pay 25 euros for the same document I got for nowt.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Not quite correct, there is no EU rules to say you must register, if fact under EU rules say you can live where ever you like. But in a typical EU fudge countries are allowed to insist you register but they must bare the cost. What they do to their own citizen is not a EU matter. Therefore when I worked in Germany I was required to register, Luckily a German workmate had moved house and had to re-register. I went with him so he could show me the procedure. He was a bit miffed when he had to pay 25 euros for the same document I got for nowt.

There are two issues Residency and Fiscal Residency.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/residency-requirements-in-spain

Residency requirements
From 28 March 2007, Royal Decree 240/07 requires that all EU citizens planning to reside in Spain for more than 3 months should register in person at the Oficina de Extranjeros in their province of residence or at designated Police stations. You will be issued an A4 printed Residence Certificate stating your name, address, nationality, NIE number (Número de Identificación Extranjeros) and date of registration.

More details can be found on the website for the Spanish Ministry of the Interior (information is in Spanish).

Changes to the residency regulations
On 10 July 2012 the Spanish government introduced details of the new residency requirements for all EU citizens, including British nationals.

Under the new rules, EU citizens applying for residency in Spain may be required to produce evidence of sufficient financial means to support themselves (and dependants). Applicants may also be asked for proof of private or public healthcare insurance. More details about the application process and documentation you need are available on the website of the Spanish Ministry for Work and Social Security.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/work/taxes/income-taxes-abroad/index_en.htm

Each country has its own definition of tax residence; yet:
  • You will usually be considered tax-resident in the country where you spend more than 6 months a year
  • If you spend less than 6 months a year in another EU country, you will normally remain tax-resident in your home country
You will become resident for tax purposes in Spain if:

a) you spend more than 183 days in one calendar year. You become liable whether or not you take out a formal residence permit. These days do not have to be consecutive. Temporary absences from Spain are ignored for the purpose of the 183-day rule unless it can be proved that the individual is habitually resident in another country for more than 183 days in a calendar year,

Last edited:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
The trouble with all this, is nobody, including both sides have any actual facts. All we get is an opinion and speculation as what might happen, not what will happen. So how can the voters, without actual facts, make a sensible reasoned decision as to which way they want to vote.

Having said that, I'm out. :)

How true is this post, NOBODY KNOWS but I am IN

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish

I had the same experience in Cyprus.
Not interested in the card, or even insurance details, just wanted the doctor's bill paid, claimed off my insurance when I got home.
I even had to pay for the treatment and bandages.
Follow up appointment was included in the price.

I suspect they had gone to a private hospital / doctor?

Don't reckon so, local hospital as directed to by the holiday rep.
The card was a waste of plastic.

If having the card is a reason to stay in the EU, it's a pretty poor one.
Anyone with any sense takes out travel insurance anyway.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

ditto

3smcas.jpg

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
It has been said that both sides don't have facts, but this is untrue, we know what we have now and the day after the vote, if it's in, then no one will notice any difference as to what we have at present.
It is the OUTS leaders who have no proof of what will happen if it's out, and god knows if it goes txxx up they will walk away, probably to their second homes somewhere, remember the leaders in Greece who let things go wrong ? Where are they now, certainly not in prison answering up for their wrong doings.
I will go away now had my say.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
we know what we have now and the day after the vote, if it's in,

yes.. very true..

borders open to unlimited and unfettered migration from the EU countries..about 508.2 million people.

and soon to include Turkey ..

The choice of being a Sovereign Nation, democracy.. controlling our borders. .. or being controlled form Brussels with open borders..

your choice..

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
I do understand what you say ScotJimland, my main concern is whether any jobs are lost because of a change, as I believe that jobs are the most important thing for every family it give independence and a better life for people, and I am not going to put that to chance for anyone especially politicians who always walk away when things go wrong.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Over the past decades thousands of jobs have been lost in heavy industry, steel making and manufacturing.. the EU did nothing to stop it happening, and they actually forbid government intervention in the latest steel industry crisis ..

The UK makes great products that in high demand in Europe and around the World.. In or Out of the EU won't change that .. we will be free to negotiate trade agreements with whoever we please..

Once upon a time we had a Commonwealth we traded with freely, NZ, Australia , S Africa etc .. we can do so again without EU intervention and controls.. regulations telling us what size and girth a potato has to be.. etc.. We are being dragged down by the poor nations of Southern and Eastern Europe..

The EU has more to lose from us leaving than we have to fear about going it alone.. and as for Obama telling us what to do do, can you imagine him giving up the US independance to join up with poor S American countries ..

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
There are still a lot of unknowns, including how long it will take to get new trade agreements. Canada have been at it for 7 years and still not signed up as I understand it.

There is no doubt in my mind that if we leave, we will still end up having to comply with a lot of EU rules, whether we like it or not.

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
I don't want to say it ScotJimland, but you are trying to regain the past which won't happen, I know a lot of people of my age (not young) who will vote out because they want things as they were 50 years ago, they want the uk to be what it was, chasing rainbows I'm afraid.
I have a brother who moved to NZ 50 years ago and he can't forget how we supposedly let them down.
Things have changed like they always do and the greater London area now raise nearly 70 per cent of our taxes with services etc, the manufacturing still does its part, but not how it did years ago unfortunately.
In general my view on manufacturing is this, if we sell in the shops a pair of trainers for £100 and they are made in China for £5, then why don't we make them here for say £15 and still sell them for £100 ? Because the extra profit doesn't go to the good of the People it goes into the pockets of the few, who don't need it. Just a view. I've always been the sort of Tory who wouldn't make you vote otherwise. Forgive me for saying so please.

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Quizzed at every border!!!!

Not unless they man them all again you won't, and I can't see them doing that can you?

Once you're in a sengin country, you can travel between them freely (regardless of your nationality) makes you wonder if these so called "experts" have ever left their desks!!!
Agree, once you are through a Schengen border state you would have free access across all other states unless you leave the Schengen area - but so what? I always use to enjoy crossing borders with a perfunctory check of passport etc. Somewhat akin to using the Channel Tunnel nowadays

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
In my post I merely pointed out that the EHIC card was not an EU entity but run by the EEA.

The UK would always have its trade with the EU as a bargaining point.

Switzerland voted not to join the EEA and managed to get a separate deal, so it is possible.

Do EEA countries pay into the EU?

Its worrying that you still have a vote...
::bigsmile:

Terry
Norway does and Switzerland makes a very large contribution but neither country gets a vote on any issue

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
when a ship is sailing into danger the captain doesn't say 'let's carry on chaps, going back is too difficult '.

I don't think many who vote 'out' will think it will be plain sailing .. there will be many problems and hurdles to overcome.. but adversity shouldn't be a reason or excuse to carry on regardless...

men have fought and died in two great wars for our freedom.. now we give it away to a faceless bureaucracy ruled by Germany.. a country who invited millions to come and settle with no controls.. and soon they will be free to settle here

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
im an outer corbyns idea to change it from the inside is ridiculous as nothing changes in th eu unless germany and france says so everything about europe is different to how we previously did things here and to be honest im not liking us changing to suit them which is whats been happening for the last 20 years most politicians aspire to a seat on the gravy train which is why jeremy has swopped sides

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Yes its called Emigrating :LOL:

Not quite as funny as many think.........You "may" be required to register after 3 months now..... Definitely after 6 months. Am sure that should the UK come out of Europe many laws that have had a blind eye turned to them will be given scrutiny.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
not bothered as freedom of movement will be a red liner!

I am for in.

In my view the things the outs want most just will not happen

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
There are still a lot of unknowns, including how long it will take to get new trade agreements. Canada have been at it for 7 years and still not signed up as I understand it.

There is no doubt in my mind that if we leave, we will still end up having to comply with a lot of EU rules, whether we like it or not.
And there is no doubt in my mind the the cost of brexit and negotiating trade will include open borders! Everyone else has hadì to comply....we don't at the moment as not part of shenigen.....out suicidal IMO

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
Not quite correct .The official EU line is that the "EU citizen cannot be asked to pay more than the National does for their residence card". So you should have paid 25€
Additionally those countries requiring people to register can then fine those who haven't as although you can not legally be thrown out you are fined for " Failing to APPLY to register" :) 300€ here. 68€ in Greece.
By asking people to register & the people failing to be able to comply with income/health care ,etc; still means that you cannot be thrown out BUT it also means that the state then has no responsibility to provide assistance in any shape or form. If the UK did it then they wouldn't have to pay benefits to anyone who failed to comply with the requirements.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
Anyway as this is "motorhome in EU after Brexit" I think what will apply in the event of an out vote is whatever each country can shaft the Brit motorhomer to the maximum with.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
More scaremongering. Let's see the vote 1st. All these 'issues' can be sorted. EH1C as it stands we pay out more than we get back. So that could be a saving. Anyhow you should all have travel insurance.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Anyway as this is "motorhome in EU after Brexit" I think what will apply in the event of an out vote is whatever each country can shaft the Brit motorhomer to the maximum with.
Yep...all rhd uk vans will be banned for a start:!:)

I'll be OK can apply for an EU Irish passport :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back