european breakdown cover wow really (1 Viewer)

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Just had a quote of the CMC site for 2 WEEKS ONLY SINGLE TRIP European breakdown cover MH is below 8m in length under 6000kg cover for me only came back at £335 for 2 weeks cover are they flippin mad !!!!!!!!!

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
All my 5 vehicles are covered (plus health cover, loss of mobile phone, cover for any vehicle in which I'm a passenger, and much more) for £13.50 a month under the terms of my Nationwide FlexPlus current account. I keep £2500 min in the account which pays £6 a month interest so net cost of cover is £7.50 a month.
Covers m/hs up to 8m and 7500kg. You don't even have to register details of your vehicles with them.
See details here:
https://www.nationwide.co.uk/suppor...our-account/breakdown-insurance-with-flexplus

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just had a quote of the CMC site for 2 WEEKS ONLY SINGLE TRIP European breakdown cover MH is below 8m in length under 6000kg cover for me only came back at £335 for 2 weeks cover are they flippin mad !!!!!!!!!
CMC are a joke with almost all the services they offer.
Being with adac for years I cannot offer any worthwhile alternatives, but one of our friends from Germany allowed a Brit mate to use their address to get adac membership.. no good for home recovery but ok to get their ( 9m ) motorhome off a motorway and to a garage :)

Feb 4, 2016
uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
10 years
All my 5 vehicles are covered (plus health cover, loss of mobile phone, cover for any vehicle in which I'm a passenger, and much more) for £13.50 a month under the terms of my Nationwide FlexPlus current account. I keep £2500 min in the account which pays £6 a month interest so net cost of cover is £7.50 a month.
Covers m/hs up to 8m and 7500kg. You don't even have to register details of your vehicles with them.
See details here:
https://www.nationwide.co.uk/suppor...our-account/breakdown-insurance-with-flexplus
Did they not stop giving it to new customers?

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I was led to believe they are not accepting any new customers unless you have a German address ??????
Wasn't aware of that - have been with them for years and only ever used them once - in the UK on my car not my motorhome. Need to be with them because the vehicle is 9m long and I think k that is a restriction for many of the other breakdown services

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
See details here:

Im never surprised when see this distorted view of maths
you need to finish the equation to get the correct answer
£13.50 a month
less £6.00 interest
Net cost £7.50
Add £6.00 lost interest

Total Cost £13.50

Your only deceiving yourself really

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
No, not lost. I spent the six quid on breakdown cover which would otherwise have been spent on half my daily packet of fags, or a copy of the 'Cassette Emptying For Beginners' manual or even a copy of 'The Pedant's Guide to Accuracy'. ;)
Life's too short to give myself gas over accurate accounting procedures when it's just a few (or even several hundred) quid for my m/h hobby. The benefit to me is nothing to do with the cost but in having only one source of breakdown cover and more for all 5 vehicles.......

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
See details here:
That’s useful to know! I’ve got one of those accounts and didn’t realise I had breakdown cover as part of it :doh: That’ll teach me to read the small print :wub:

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
That’s useful to know! I’ve got one of those accounts and didn’t realise I had breakdown cover as part of it :doh: That’ll teach me to read the small print :wub:
I hope it's not like the HSBC Premier Travel Insurance cover you get with their current account - they make it almost impossible to make a claim.

My wife had her suitcase stolen on the train to Southampton to visit her brother for a weekend - claim was about £1000 (no idea what these ladies carry in a small suitcase). First thing they wanted was for her to 'prove it was a holiday' then they wanted every single item detailed.

Gave up, claimed on our NFU house policy - claim settled without question without requesting detail other than the police crime number and money in our account within 7 days

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Im never surprised when see this distorted view of maths
you need to finish the equation to get the correct answer
£13.50 a month
less £6.00 interest
Net cost £7.50
Add £6.00 lost interest

Total Cost £13.50

Your only deceiving yourself really

If that £2,500 was in most other easy access accounts the lost monthly interest would only be about £2.50.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
If that £2,500 was in most other easy access accounts the lost monthly interest would only be about £2.50.
And if he cancelled his insurance he'd be £19.50 better off
so its now costing him £19.50.
your analogy is making it worse:doh:

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
And if he cancelled his insurance he'd be £19.50 better off
so its now costing him £19.50.
your analogy is making it worse:doh:
As my old boss used to say: "Don't confuse me with the facts".
;)
If I don't break down to use the cover I'll be highly annoyed.
Which reminds of when I had a couple of marine chandlery businesses and a customer was getting really arsey about the cost of replacing his £120 pack of distress flares. "Mine are getting close to their 5 yrs expiry date and I've never used them" he whinged. My staff had similar discussions with customers looking for marine fire extinguishers. With good reason those types of products are known in the Trade as 'Grudge purchases'.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Did they not stop giving it to new customers?
No. The link I gave you is from the 'Apply for a FlexPlus account' page on their website today and invites new customers:

upload_2019-2-9_17-26-2.png

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
As my old boss used to say: "Don't confuse me with the facts".
;)
If I don't break down to use the cover I'll be highly annoyed.
Which reminds of when I had a couple of marine chandlery businesses and a customer was getting really arsey about the cost of replacing his £120 pack of distress flares. "Mine are getting close to their 5 yrs expiry date and I've never used them" he whinged. My staff had similar discussions with customers looking for marine fire extinguishers. With good reason those types of products are known in the Trade as 'Grudge purchases'.

That is probably because if they were dry powder they did not tell them the powder could be refilled without buying a new extinguisher.

Also that the marine chandlers' prices were much higher than DIY stores.

Geoff (boat owner for 30 years)

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Same as me Stupidly paid £108 for breakdown when I had it with nationwide Do they cover you when abroad though?

Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
good if you are within criteria but;
Motorhomes up to 8 m.
Additional £65 if over 70yrs.
Trips up to 31 days unles extension purchased.

Re Flexplus.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Well I assumed that folk were capable of reading the T&C's themselves.
I gave a link to the N'wide website last Friday (post no. 6 in this thread) which has full details.

Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
Well I assumed that folk were capable of reading the T&C's themselves.
I gave a link earlier to the N'wide website which has full details.
That’s why I looked thanks for link.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back