european breakdown cover wow really (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
dont understsnd how folks can have this nationwide or similer accounts and not know what is involved(n)(n)(n)

Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
dont understsnd how folks can have this nationwide or similer accounts and not know what is involved(n)(n)(n)
Haven’t got the account myself just bringing it to attention that , on the face of it , not suitable everyone. I’m sure if people already relying on the account for insurance they have read small print, hopefully anyway.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Also that the marine chandlers' prices were much higher than DIY stores.
Obviously DIY stores are happy with smaller margins as they have a greater volume of sales and therefore buying power. Customers constantly came to us for lengthy education on very many products and then bought cheaper online from 'box-shifters' or from DIY stores, often coming back to us after purchasing elsewhere to 'train' them or sort out their problems, faults, or with fitting or using the kit. We used to insist upon a proof of purchase or invite them to come to one of our chargeable 'User seminars'.
One of my shop leases was bought by a pet shop chain. The new owner said that luckily he didn't have to show a dog how to eat its dinner.

(Sprid - boat owner for 27 years ;))

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
good if you are within criteria but;
Motorhomes up to 8 m.
Additional £65 if over 70yrs.
Trips up to 31 days unles extension purchased.

Re Flexplus.

Is the trip up to 31 days for travel insurance, as they told me 180 days for breakdown.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Is the trip up to 31 days for travel insurance, as they told me 180 days for breakdown.

HELLO!
IT'S ALL ON THEIR WEBSITE! :rolleyes:

Health/travel cover........

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/produc...s-and-benefits#tab:worldwide-travel-insurance

upload_2019-2-10_11-5-50.png

Breakdown cover.........

upload_2019-2-10_11-11-52.png

Last edited:
May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000

There really is no need to shout....

It’s all on the website providing you have a good enough signal to stay online for more than a few minutes which is why I rang them.
They also want £170 to extend a trip to 90 days, that’s for the travel insurance, but that does include £65 age extension, and covers more than one 90 day trip.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
There really is no need to shout....

It’s all on the website providing you have a good enough signal to stay online for more than a few minutes which is why I rang them.
They also want £170 to extend a trip to 90 days, that’s for the travel insurance, but that does include £65 age extension, and covers more than one 90 day trip.
Well, if that's what they told you on the phone they were right.

Horses for courses. Pricing reflects the needs of their competitive major market since folk only needing 30 days wouldn't want to be charged an obligatory higher cost to cover the risks of (the minority and more elderly?) folk travelling for a longer period. Besides, most of us, even at 70+ are likely to remain fit for up to 30 days after departure...........;)

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
All my 5 vehicles are covered (plus health cover, loss of mobile phone, cover for any vehicle in which I'm a passenger, and much more) for £13.50 a month under the terms of my Nationwide FlexPlus current account. I keep £2500 min in the account which pays £6 a month interest so net cost of cover is £7.50 a month.
Covers m/hs up to 8m and 7500kg. You don't even have to register details of your vehicles with them.
See details here:
https://www.nationwide.co.uk/suppor...our-account/breakdown-insurance-with-flexplus

Yes we have 3 vans and motorbike and use same deal.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Obviously DIY stores are happy with smaller margins as they have a greater volume of sales and therefore buying power. Customers constantly came to us for lengthy education on very many products and then bought cheaper online from 'box-shifters' or from DIY stores, often coming back to us after purchasing elsewhere to 'train' them or sort out their problems, faults, or with fitting or using the kit. We used to insist upon a proof of purchase or invite them to come to one of our chargeable 'User seminars'.
One of my shop leases was bought by a pet shop chain. The new owner said that luckily he didn't have to show a dog how to eat its dinner.

(Sprid - boat owner for 27 years ;))

I was discussing Dry Powder Extinguisher refills.

How difficult is that?

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
This thread started out as a European breakdown thread how did it get on to an argument about powder flares :confused:
Well, if you're only paying as little as 50 quid a year for insurance like Reallyretired it's important to avoid having a Reallybig fire. :whistle:

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Nationwide travel insurance is only any good if you have no health problems when we went to Jamaica it was cheaper to take out cover with another company than the excess NW wanted

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
The connection was made by this post

As my old boss used to say: "Don't confuse me with the facts".
;)
If I don't break down to use the cover I'll be highly annoyed.
Which reminds of when I had a couple of marine chandlery businesses and a customer was getting really arsey about the cost of replacing his £120 pack of distress flares. "Mine are getting close to their 5 yrs expiry date and I've never used them" he whinged. My staff had similar discussions with customers looking for marine fire extinguishers. With good reason those types of products are known in the Trade as 'Grudge purchases'.

Geoff

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
post deleted

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
The connection was made by this post
Geoff
No prob, Geoff. It was my digression from the main thread. I was rambling on about how DIY and chain stores can sell (technical) stuff cheaper than independents as they didn't need to have informed staff to demonstrate/explain the function and how to use products to customers. I think we're (I'm) at cross-purposes now.
(I'll get me tall pointy hat and drop anchor in a quiet corner........)

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
No prob, Geoff. It was my digression from the main thread. I was rambling on about how DIY and chain stores can sell (technical) stuff cheaper than independents as they didn't need to have informed staff to demonstrate/explain the function and how to use products to customers. I think we're (I'm) at cross-purposes now.
(I'll get me tall pointy hat and drop anchor in a quiet corner........)

I did not have a problem with your thread as I thought it pertinent to people's choice about what they consider essential and what they think is optional or just a 'grudge' as you put it..

It was the other one that thought the comparison and joining two products in the same thread was 'thread drift'

My point about the 'grudge' of a fire extinguiher was that someone could do it cheaper with a refill to reduce the 'grudge' factor. As can one with /breakdown/recovery insurance if one chooses carefully.

Geoff

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Does nobody get breakdown and recovery as part of the Van insurance? Thats all we use(y)

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Does nobody get breakdown and recovery as part of the Van insurance? Thats all we use(y)
Our insurers (Adrian Flux) 'include' £90 worth of European breakdown cover in the total cost of the policy , £315.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
We use AIB For car and motorhome Both with European breakdown and recovery and always a reasonable price all in.
We used to get separate breakdown but no longer bother now

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
A lot of people confuse Brokers and Undewriters and refer to the former as their 'Insurers'. There are loads of Brokers, but they are selling as agents of just a handful of Undewriters, e.g. Allianz, AXA, Lloyd's Syndicates etc. It needs a lot of capital to get a licence to do Insurance as an Underwriter. Of course a lot of them re-insure to minimise their exposure.

I think most packages from Brokers which include breakdown and recovery are not part of the Insurance Policy as such, but two separate contracts; one with the Underwriter for insurance and a separate contract negotiated by the Broker with AA, RAC and other providers.

If one reads the paperwork it should be clear who is underwriting the insurance and who is providing the breakdown/recovery.

My Insurance is through Safeguard as Broker but the Insurance Certificate is clearly issued by Allianz and signed in their name.

Geoff

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Let us hope you don't get gassed..................... The insurance company will want to know of it was British Gas or EU Gas before paying out. :sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back