Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
I have 2 weeks off work 12-26th October (no leeway) and am trying to decide where to go. I’d like dry weather. Ideally some sun but not too warm. 16 C maximum does me just fine.

Options so far include
- stay in U.K. and see if there’s any dry weather
- take ferry to Ijmuiden (by far closest, coming from Scotland) and follow the sun, if there is any
- take a punt that Spain will be only place with dry sunny weather and either take ferry to Santander (£1000 when I looked last night) or on Chunnel and drive south.

I’ve never been to Europe in October .... in early September it’s been stormy in Spain and Italy.

Any views from those who travel more at that time of year?

Thanks.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Agree Spain is more liable to be warmer - but variable
the Brittany Ferry club can save you a third but costs a fair whack to join unless someone has a friend and family code for you

But 2 weeks does need to be stretched if you can

Jul 29, 2017
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 530 Flash
Exp
Camping Caravanning and Motorhoming for 40yrs, last 2 Motorhoming
I'd just get a Ferry to France and head south until you find your 16C, we've had some great October hols but probably need to get S of Lyon. Can get a bit nippy at night.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We had lovely weather in October in France a couple of years ago, coming home on 28th October. We crossed the channel and used the Ventusky weather forecast to decide whether to turn left to Germany or right into France.
Just follow the weather.
https://www.ventusky.com/

OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Thanks all .... I’m thinking flexibility might be the best policy.,

Different topic ... @Riverbankannie ... what bike carrier did you go for ultimately. That’s another quandary! Busbiker a possibility but a removable one would have advantages too .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

The Lord Squid

Free Member
Dec 28, 2016
The West Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleepers panel van
Exp
since 2017
6th to 21st October last year we went to San Marino via France, Switzerland, Italy, then return via Bruges. Weather was fine every day, as I recollect.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp

Different topic ... @Riverbankannie ... what bike carrier did you go for ultimately. That’s another quandary! Busbiker a possibility but a removable one would have advantages too .
We decided not to have one and bought 2 second hand Bromptons which we had converted to electric here in Bristol. They lie on their sides under the rear U lounge. They do take up most of the usable storage space but it’s nice not having the worry of them on the back on a rack so they are secure and always clean and dry. It’s a compromise like most things about MHing!

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We did last France two week of October last year and mainly had lovely weather with the odd light shower.
The year before we headed to south of France first two weeks of November and it was shorts and T shirt weather, there again I wear shorts all year so no real help there :). We actually spent sometime sun bathing in St Tropaz, we then moved along towards Nice and every day was high teens low twenties

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
It’s was that good I posted twice :)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
All I will say is that last October we had to be in Belgium for a week
It was so cold we used both gas bottles up even though we were on hook up and had the electric heating as well !!!

BUT.............

Who knows, this year it cold be sweltering

I would say do not base your choice on what the weather might be like, but on a destination you want to go to.
The weather is just too unpredictable!

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
We've had very good weather where we've been in France for the last two Octobers (northern and central). Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
We had lovely weather in late Oct/early Nov in Devon & Cornwall, 2y ago! The money saved on ferry fares can allow you to visit tropical leisure pools (although some sites have their own) and also covers extra gas bottles if needed.

Alternatively, why not hop on a plane? You'll probably get 2 weeks in the Costa del Sol or Algarve for £500 per head fully inclusive!

Gordon

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
I teach primary .... I suspect the only way to stretch it would be to take my class of 7/8yos with us :rolleyes::eek:.
I think this is the best "out of class class"ever. Thirty 7 yrs old, like my Granddaughter, tearing south through France. God help the French.
Phil

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
Living in France we know how variable the weather can be in ANY month..

The last few autumns we've spent in glorious weather either in the high Alps or high Pyrenees. BUT we are in the position of deciding where to go and when to go based on last minute forecasts.

Perhaps you should decide a few days before you go, ferries are always available at that time I'm sure and if there is an Indian summer in the UK then you haven't committed to travel abroad at the wrong time.

Of course you may also be trying to return near to or on BREXIT day... Which will be the best ever day to travel because nobody else will bother or the worst day because it will be a complete shambles....

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
@Grianan , apologies, hope I'm not high jacking your thread

@moulin 87 or anybody who can help , I am heading to France but for the month of September, wanting to go to limousine , would like 20deg plus , how do you think the weather would be in September ? , or do you think I would have to go further south ? , coming from Scotland we need to see some sun lol

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp

@moulin 87 or anybody who can help , I am heading to France but for the month of September, wanting to go to limousine , would like 20deg plus , how do you think the weather would be in September ? , or do you think I would have to go further south ? , coming from Scotland we need to see some sun lol

We live in the Limousin, it will be 20C+ in September, but it is like Scotland it rises up to 1000 metres in places. Don't book anywhere so if the weather isn't great you can easily move on.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I would have thought Spain too far for two weeks you will loose at least 5 days traveling, unless you stay in Northern Spain.

We had a late start for our Autumn trip last year, left on 5th October it was the 9th before we got to Spain spent two weeks going across Northern Spain weather not too bad low 2O's at least one day at 30. Then we went into Portugal that was a lot colder 16-20 far too cold for us. Normally much warmer at that time of year.

How about Province, it is still normally in the low 20's in October, although still around a 600 mile drive across France.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008

We have been in France every September for the last few years and the weather is usually lovely.
Unless you need to be in a particular area, be flexible and have a couple of weather apps on your phone and follow the good weather.

Richard.

OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
I think this is the best "out of class class"ever. Thirty 7 yrs old, like my Granddaughter, tearing south through France. God help the French.
Phil

I’m taking mine across the water to Arran in a few weeks. That’s exciting as they go on a ferry! If I ever propose a trip abroad, in jest, they’re up for it!

OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Thanks guys.

Another question. Looks as if tunnel may be a good option. Cost is currently £100 +/- £15. How much does this ho up nearer to departure date? I suppose what I need to know is how long I can leave it before making a decision!

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010

Yes you definetly need to be flexible.We always go October half term,but just for a week'We have found the Loire to be decent weather that time of year,and if its not good enough just head a little more south to the Dordogne area.
As for Spain,its a lot of money on the ferry imo,and a lot of driving if you go via the tunnel.So I would stick with France.

OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
You would loose 2 days travelling to Dover and back as well

That’s the joy of living in Scotland.
If we go to Newcastle we only have 150 miles UK driving but arrive in Ijmuiden Sunday morning, hopefully refreshed.
If we go to Dover we could stop over between Carlisle and Manchester on Friday night and possibly cross the channel Saturday night, after a days driving south.

But then there’s 4 hour driving from a Ijmuiden to get where we’d be if we crossed to France.

Swings and roundabouts.

I’m starting to talk myself into Ijmuiden :LOL:

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
I just looked at those dates - you can get two return tickets to Melbourne for £1200 then. Not much more than the ferry to Spain. And it’s early summer there.....hire a Winny.

OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
I just looked at those dates - you can get two return tickets to Melbourne for £1200 then. Not much more than the ferry to Spain. And it’s early summer there.....hire a Winny.

No no no ... :LOL:. My friend wants me to go visit her in Oz next summer ... we probably will but it’s way down my list of ‘bucket list’ countries!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back