Euro app wont be ready on time. (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Mr porky

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
Wow - 1 reply and straight into the unrelated topic of dinghies - is this a record?
It was always coming. Its just like the American scheme esta but its the lack of facilities we have this is the real issue especially at Dover where they struggle for space. I'm sure when we can utilise an app it should be OK, I'm just glad I utilise pylmouth and Portsmouth for my outward travels to mainland europe.

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Wow - 1 reply and straight into the unrelated topic of dinghies - is this a record?
Tbf the app and visa (which I support btw) is about the EU controlling its borders. I just wish they would do a better job.

I used to like stopping off in Calais, even shopping in Cite Europe is a risky business now.

Upvote 0
Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
even shopping in Cite Europe is a risky business now.
Wonder how much business they have lost due to it being very dodgy parking there? We have been a few times before all this migrant thing popped up and they did have some decent shops and restaurants.
Drove around there recently I think last May to fill up with fuel at the garage and it looked a very deserted place🤔🤔

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Wonder how much business they have lost due to it being very dodgy parking there? We have been a few times before all this migrant thing popped up and they did have some decent shops and restaurants.
Drove around there recently I think last May to fill up with fuel at the garage and it looked a very deserted place🤔🤔
The Mayor of Calais has previously been on TV lamenting whats happened to her previously thriving town.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
The Mayor of Calais has previously been on TV lamenting whats happened to her previously thriving town.
I'm not surprised as Dover would be the same with thousands of desperate homeless foreigners hanging about. The bits of Dover that I've seen look pretty soulless as it is, and I've spent many days there over the years staying in B&B's in town to meet up with fellow bikers ready for an early morning ferry.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mr porky

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
That's very sad. I remember doing a booze run in a transit van years ago filled up with fags and booze but any profit was wiped buy the meal we had in calais. We ate and drank like kings though 😀😀

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
That's very sad. I remember doing a booze run in a transit van years ago filled up with fags and booze but any profit was wiped buy the meal we had in calais. We ate and drank like kings though 😀😀
East enders? ZI Des Dunes.

They used to bring it out on pallets. M1 had lots of very low rented transit vans.

Upvote 0
Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
According to my sources, the app was never going to be ready in time for the October roll out date.
I think that people have just got to accept that it is a Schengen thing and we were never in it.
Bizarrely, the system is being introduced because the EU feel that passport stamping takes too long!

The ports that will be worst affected are Dover, Tunnel and Portsmouth. This is because there are very regular departures (Dover about 16, Portsmouth about 10 and the Tunnel about 60), so waiting times can really back up.
Dover is predicted to be three times worse than the tunnel, not least because the tunnel has land and space to build in extra facilities as they are needed. Dover is snug up against the white cliffs and has no room to build additional capacity.

Portsmouth will be busier, but not like Dover or Folkestone. Newhaven, Poole, Hull, Newcastle, Harwich or Plymouth might be better bets.

Just pray that there isn't a coach in front of you, wherever you go.

Upvote 0
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
According to my sources, the app was never going to be ready in time for the October roll out date.
I think that people have just got to accept that it is a Schengen thing and we were never in it.
Bizarrely, the system is being introduced because the EU feel that passport stamping takes too long!

The ports that will be worst affected are Dover, Tunnel and Portsmouth. This is because there are very regular departures (Dover about 16, Portsmouth about 10 and the Tunnel about 60), so waiting times can really back up.
Dover is predicted to be three times worse than the tunnel, not least because the tunnel has land and space to build in extra facilities as they are needed. Dover is snug up against the white cliffs and has no room to build additional capacity.

Portsmouth will be busier, but not like Dover or Folkestone. Newhaven, Poole, Hull, Newcastle, Harwich or Plymouth might be better bets.

Just pray that there isn't a coach in front of you, wherever you go.
Well, if we didn’t have to go, we wouldn’t.

We are too invested in Spain. Otherwise, we would travel elsewhere.

Upvote 0
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Yes. I often wonder why southern Italy isn't popular in the winter. Apart from travel distance and fewer campsites, is the weather worse than Spain?
Funny you should say that. Before we bought in Spain, we often considered southern Italy for a winter trip .

Upvote 0
Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Funny you should say that. Before we bought in Spain, we often considered southern Italy for a winter trip .
Obviously there's no direct ferry from UK and the Alps are more of a challenge/ cost than the Pyrenees but good beaches and summer campsites. A search on Pitch Up found 71 sites open in the winter. Few in the middle section of Italy.

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Obviously there's no direct ferry from UK and the Alps are more of a challenge/ cost than the Pyrenees but good beaches and summer campsites. A search on Pitch Up found 71 sites open in the winter. Few in the middle section of Italy.
Its a good idea but if the weather was good enough was wouldnt the Germans be there?

I was keeping an eye on Turkey's weather this winter while considering it as an alternative winter motorhome destination but even that was quite wet at times.

Upvote 0
Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Its a good idea but if the weather was good enough was wouldnt the Germans be there?

I was keeping an eye on Turkey's weather this winter while considering it as an alternative winter motorhome destination but even that was quite wet at times.
You're right, it's a good indicator that something's not good enough, maybe the weather there too.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back