Erwin Hymer PVCs News for potential buyers. (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Encouraging to see the industry moving away from being too reliant on one manufacturer and an inferior one at that
The Ducato may not be the best drive. But it's a far better shape than most of its competitors. The extra few cm of width, vertical sides and slightly further forwards cab make lots of layouts possible that can't be done in other makes.

I suspect the reason manufacturers are diversifying is because Fiat are still having supply issues. Which are expected to continue for a while yet.

Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
Harsh, there are at least two manufacturers used by Hymer and have used others in the past.

Never thought that Mercedes or Fiat were inferior
Comment based on my first hand experience with both warranty issues (2 separate vans) and now a nearly 2 year wait for another new vehicle with really poor communications between them and the manufacturer. Quality of drive better in other makes too but on all 3 occasions had no choice but to buy Fiat so I welcome more choice and competition generally.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Comment based on my first hand experience with both warranty issues (2 separate vans) and now a nearly 2 year wait for another new vehicle with really poor communications between them and the manufacturer. Quality of drive better in other makes too but on all 3 occasions had no choice but to buy Fiat so I welcome more choice
Well I guess you could have chosen Mercedes variant, often how warranty gets dealt with is down to the dealer, on a personal note Adams Morey give a 1st class service and despite the huge volume of vehicles always feel its a personal service.

I wonder if the Crafter will have the same price premium that a Mercedes have (premium brands).

When starting out I thought I would have a Mercedes MoHo, after a lot of research I settled for the Fiat 1) reliability 2) costs 3) layout/space

We all have biases and prefferances but that Ducatto is no worse/better than many other vans it is what it is and makes for a good MoHo layout.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Harsh but fair 😂
Fiat is definitely cheap junk 😂
Mercedes still seem to be rot boxes 😂
How is the Fiat Junk? and Mercedes well there are many rot free examples

I have VW's and no more reliable or better than many other brands....it's a Van / Car with all its faults

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
In the past, Fiat have also been very accommodating to motorhome manufacturers. They sell base vans and chassis that are easier to convert. They didn't need hacking to pieces before a convertor could start work.

All the base vehicles have issues. Do VWs still eat their clutches, flywheels, gearboxes and clog their EGRs? And aren't half the engines over worked car engines that are plastic with everything integrated so more expensive to fix?

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
How is the Fiat Junk? and Mercedes well there are many rot free examples

I have VW's and no more reliable or better than many other brands....it's a Van / Car with all its faults
I bought another Stellantis van Citreon a couple of weeks ago and they are just flimsy plasticky cheap vans .
Just sold a MAN so VW , now I wouldn’t say the additional cost is worth it but the difference between them is striking.
I actually washed them side by side , even the panels bend on the Stellantis vans 😂
We’ve had plenty of different vans and as much as I hate diesel engines so will never really like any of them , the Ford Transit has to have been the best drive , unfortunately the Transit prices are crazy at the moment ⚠️

Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
Well I guess you could have chosen Mercedes variant, often how warranty gets dealt with is down to the dealer, on a personal note Adams Morey give a 1st class service and despite the huge volume of vehicles always feel its a personal service.

I wonder if the Crafter will have the same price premium that a Mercedes have (premium brands).

When starting out I thought I would have a Mercedes MoHo, after a lot of research I settled for the Fiat 1) reliability 2) costs 3) layout/space

We all have biases and prefferances but that Ducatto is no worse/better than many other vans it is what it is and makes for a good MoHo layout.
The dealer was as helpful as they could be but one issue was with the seat belt.It was fraying badly after only 6 months use from new due to an issue with the spool.Fiat said wear and tear which on a safety related element I thought wasn't good enough.These were coachbuilts rather than panel vans.

Apr 4, 2023
Funster No
MH
burstner eliseo
We owned a VW California from new and it was not a good experience. Yes it looks good but was very unreliable and there was signs of rust around the roof. Time will tell how our new Burstner Fiat PVC will perform

May 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Legend
Encouraging to see the industry moving away from being too reliant on one manufacturer and an inferior one at that
VW's have a reputation for rust and reliability issues.

OP
OP
rod_vw
Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Knaus are using MAN on some models.
Yes, the first Knaus Boxdrives (and maybe other models) were badged VW but now using MAM TGE badged versions of the same thing.

It's a LWB TGE that I am having converted.

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
I bought another Stellantis van Citreon a couple of weeks ago and they are just flimsy plasticky cheap vans .
Just sold a MAN so VW , now I wouldn’t say the additional cost is worth it but the difference between them is striking.
I actually washed them side by side , even the panels bend on the Stellantis vans 😂
We’ve had plenty of different vans and as much as I hate diesel engines so will never really like any of them , the Ford Transit has to have been the best drive , unfortunately the Transit prices are crazy at the moment ⚠️
Ford and VW have jumped into bed with each other with vans, we have already been told the next transit we order will have a VW engine. Possibly a bit disappointing for our technicians as they love their Transits.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi .
First choice PVC Renault Master base,had two,then the model i wanted was on a Fiat so bought the Fiat Ducato. It is not as quick and the engine is difficult to work on ( If needed ) due to lack of space,fill screen washer bottle ? :ROFLMAO: . But it is not a bad drive and can pick its skirt up and give a good account of itself if needed. Reliable? This is its 6th year on the yard. Batteries. New hab and Base. Wiper blades,oils and filters. Just waiting for the Airbag red light to be fixed ( Electric screwdriver through the light fitting ?). I now look on it as a mate and would buy another.
Tea Bag

Nov 9, 2022
Whitestone, Hereford, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus 650 MEG
Exp
Ford and VW have jumped into bed with each other with vans, we have already been told the next transit we order will have a VW engine. Possibly a bit disappointing for our technicians as they love their Transits.
Collaboration looks like Transit Connect/Caddy and Transit Custom/Transporter, Ranger/Amarok plenty of speculation re full sized Transit/Crafter,TGE but neither VW or Ford have officially announced anything, time is running out for new diesels and so I guess nobody wants to commit any more development time or money to them and tie ups like this are unfortunate but necessary - the lunatics have taken over the asylum!

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
VW's have a reputation for rust and reliability issues.
It’s fair to say I have heard of this but conversely haven’t had an issue with the Transporters or Golf’s ( other than the past diesel gate )

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock

Sunlight includes Ford in “2024” line-up

Within the article a Hymer spokes person said:

Sunlight will, however, be continuing with Fiat-based models with similar lengths and layouts. A spokesperson said the new vehicles were more an addition to the current product portfolio. “We gain more variety and flexibility,” he said.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Collaboration looks like Transit Connect/Caddy and Transit Custom/Transporter, Ranger/Amarok plenty of speculation re full sized Transit/Crafter,TGE but neither VW or Ford have officially announced anything, time is running out for new diesels and so I guess nobody wants to commit any more development time or money to them and tie ups like this are unfortunate but necessary - the lunatics have taken over the asylum!
I personally think the Lunatics were the ones back in 2001 that got everyone buying diesel engined small commercial vehicles and cars ⚠️

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Had Iveco, Transits, MAN, VW’s and Merc’s at work. Main vehicles now Fiat.

All had issues one way or another and couldn’t really pick between them. In my view the Fiat seemed the most reliable.

Linda farley

Free Member
Jan 6, 2018
Funster No
In the past, Fiat have also been very accommodating to motorhome manufacturers. They sell base vans and chassis that are easier to convert. They didn't need hacking to pieces before a convertor could start work.

All the base vehicles have issues. Do VWs still eat their clutches, flywheels, gearboxes and clog their EGRs? And aren't half the engines over worked car engines that are plastic with everything integrated so more expensive to fix?
We have a fiat/hymer the only problem with have had is with an awning that some numpty fitted badly and then kept in barn so we didn’t pick up on the leak until damage was done. We also have a vw touran car that has been no problem. Both are 2005 and it’s a case of better the devil you know. 😃

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back