Engine battery problem! (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Mar 2, 2022
Funster No
MH
Niesmann & Bischoff
The engine battery in our Niesmann Bischoff ARTO appears to have lost charge & will not start! I opened the bonnet intending to put the battery on a trickle charge but its impossible to access the battery terminals from there. I then removed the screws holding the interior dashboard in the hope I could access the battery from above but the panel appears to have additional fixings I cant see.....Any suggestions please?

Stealaway

Free Member
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
The engine battery in our Niesmann Bischoff ARTO appears to have lost charge & will not start! I opened the bonnet intending to put the battery on a trickle charge but its impossible to access the battery terminals from there. I then removed the screws holding the interior dashboard in the hope I could access the battery from above but the panel appears to have additional fixings I cant see.....Any suggestions please?

Are there any jump lead connection you can see. Check out your manual

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dave Manson
Mar 2, 2022
Funster No
MH
Niesmann & Bischoff
I can only see the normal battery HT lead bolt connections. No permanent jump leads if that’s what you mean?

Upvote 0

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
They usually can have an. "extension" permanent bolt type from the positive located somewhere accessible nearby.

U can use the engine block for the neg if required. Could be visible or hidden similar to below

1672244402349.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 10, 2018
Bracklesham Bay, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2005
If your battery is the earlier under the bonnet type and the positive terminal is at the rear near the bulkhead you may be able to un -clip and lift the plastic ( heavy duty fuse) cover that is normally above the positive terminal and connect the charger positive crock- clip to any fuse terminal point under there to enable trickle charging. (the negative battery connection is straightforward)
If that is not possible , and you can get to the starter motor ,its main power supply cable will be going back to the positive terminal on the starter battery and could be used as a connection point for the charger positive lead.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dave Manson
Mar 2, 2022
Funster No
MH
Niesmann & Bischoff
there is normally provision near the main fuse box under the bonnet for connection of jump leads . although i admit i dont know your van layout.
Many thanks for your reply Phil. Unfortunately the main fuse box isn’t under the bonnet on our van. It’s actually under the central seating area..

Upvote 0
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Couple of examples of jump start / charger points under bonnet where manufacturer knows access to battery is difficult. Bottom one is on a sprinter van.

Screenshot_20221228-211558.pngScreenshot_20221228-211536.png

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dave Manson
Mar 2, 2022
Funster No
MH
Niesmann & Bischoff
If your battery is the earlier under the bonnet type and the positive terminal is at the rear near the bulkhead you may be able to un -clip and lift the plastic ( heavy duty fuse) cover that is normally above the positive terminal and connect the charger positive crock- clip to any fuse terminal point under there to enable trickle charging. (the negative battery connection is straightforward)
If that is not possible , and you can get to the starter motor ,its main power supply cable will be going back to the positive terminal on the starter battery and could be used as a connection point for the charger positive lead.
Many thanks for your reply GeoffnDee. Battery is under the bonnet and the positive terminal is at the rear near the bulkhead. Unfortunately (as far as I can see) there is no heavy duty plastic cover to unclip and access the positive terminal. I’ll have another look tomorrow. I’ll also have a look at the starter power cable option.. let you know how I get on..
If that is not possible , and you can get to the starter motor ,its main power supply cable will be going back to the positive terminal on the starter battery and could be used as a connection point for the charger positive lead

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back