Electrical woes or maybe not. (1 Viewer)

Sep 27, 2017
Herts
Funster No
MH
Adria coral 660SL
Exp
2 weeks
I've been going through the electrics on my new to me Cl pegaso 62.

It has a panel above the gas rings that has a 12v power socket and various switches and indicators on it, I've worked out most of it

Press the button to show water and battery level's
switch for lamps above gas rings and sink
switch for water pump
switch for extract fan
and a switch with a symbol I don't really know, (picture below) it does operate a relay behind the fuse panel on a PCB. I'm not sure what it does but the LED is on all the time no matter which way the switch is turned.

I've removed the 12v power socket as I have nothing that will fit it as its only about 13mm in diameter, I am going to use the wiring for that to power a multi cigar lighter type sock for phone chargers etc and blank the old hole off.

Talking of 12 v power sockets I have found a 230volt 13 amp double socket powered from the leisure battery, OK they had managed to write 12 on the side of it, another wire from the leisure battery went to a cable with bare ends that were spread apart so the could short out. and the I found another very big cable direct from the battery via a 5 amp fuse that stepped down to a very small cable attached the rear of the drivers seat protected with a 15 amp fuse (go Figure) Ive removed it along with some other additions .

If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful.

then I'll sort asking about the heaters, both water and air :)
Thanks

Attachments

• indictor lamp.JPG
    indictor lamp.JPG
    12.6 KB · Views: 95
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Wow, you do have some "interesting" wiring there.
The 230v off the leisure battery will only work if there is an inverter fitted, can you see one ?
Not sure of symbol on photo.
Was there no handover talk from seller ?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
The 230v off the leisure battery will only work if there is an inverter fitted, can you see one ?

Maybe the inverter was removed and that is why there are bare wires coming from the battery.

Not at all sure about the switch that has the LED illuminated all the time but my guesses are that it indicates that there is EHU (and it would go out when you were not on hook up) and / or the main switch to the lights. But I am probably wrong - as I said this is just a guess.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
If the 230v socket has 12 scrawled on it it won't be through an inverter as it would be 230v. I suggest rather than buy 12v sockets at their extortionate prices he's used what he had.
The wiring might also have been what he had in his man drawer, rip it out and start again. I would.
The light that's lit looks like a bulb as though it's a light switch or notification light?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I reckon an inverter has been removed, badly by the sound of it o_O

also the small hella socket can be fitted with an adaptor, or you can buy hella plugs to fit

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
If the 230v socket has 12 scrawled on it it won't be through an inverter as it would be 230v. I suggest rather than buy 12v sockets at their extortionate prices he's used what he had.
The wiring might also have been what he had in his man drawer, rip it out and start again. I would.
The light that's lit looks like a bulb as though it's a light switch or notification light?

Just thought that the "12" written on it might be to remind them that the socket drew power from the battery :) As I said I am probably wrong.

If you test with a multimeter is there a reading when you are on EHU and / or if you are not? [Now I sound as if I know something!]

The danger is that you might plug something into the socket that needs AC and gets DC or the other way round so please test before you use the socket.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I'd get the wiring thoroughly checked by someone with a knowledge of 12 & 230 volt systems before you do anything else.
Sounds like you bought it off a bodger !

OP
OP
sam496
Sep 27, 2017
Herts
Funster No
MH
Adria coral 660SL
Exp
2 weeks
The 12v power socket will be a Hella socket much better than the standard 12v cigar lighter type sockets.
agreed but only if I had something to plug in ? I have loads of the 12V power socket as its now called.. I'm sure my 4 wide will be sufficeint for our charging needs (watches, phones, tablets). I've already got used with one a voltage display (Amazon about 1.50).

OP
OP
sam496
Sep 27, 2017
Herts
Funster No
MH
Adria coral 660SL
Exp
2 weeks
The "interesting" wiring and 12v sockets that are 230 v AC household have all been removed as it does not sit right with me.
No invertor fitted but it does have a sizeable battery charger next to the water heater and water pump, I've yet to go through the wiring.

OP
OP
sam496
Sep 27, 2017
Herts
Funster No
MH
Adria coral 660SL
Exp
2 weeks
Maybe the inverter was removed and that is why there are bare wires coming from the battery.

Not at all sure about the switch that has the LED illuminated all the time but my guesses are that it indicates that there is EHU (and it would go out when you were not on hook up) and / or the main switch to the lights. But I am probably wrong - as I said this is just a guess.

the bare wires were about 24 gauge and probably for a low level gas detector that has a braket but no detector, its history now.

we had it hooked up to a genny but the status of the light does not change, I thought it maybe a water heater indicator ?

OP
OP
sam496
Sep 27, 2017
Herts
Funster No
MH
Adria coral 660SL
Exp
2 weeks

It' was all ripped out before this post.. I agree that someone has made do but most of the connections are loose, wires strecthed like violin strings etc

I'll upload full pics of the control panel and fuse panel in a few mins

OP
OP
sam496
Sep 27, 2017
Herts
Funster No
MH
Adria coral 660SL
Exp
2 weeks
Just thought that the "12" written on it might be to remind them that the socket drew power from the battery :) As I said I am probably wrong.

If you test with a multimeter is there a reading when you are on EHU and / or if you are not? [Now I sound as if I know something!]

The danger is that you might plug something into the socket that needs AC and gets DC or the other way round so please test before you use the socket.
taken care of I removed the lot..

OP
OP
sam496
Sep 27, 2017
Herts
Funster No
MH
Adria coral 660SL
Exp
2 weeks
Photo's of both the panel and the fuse panel,

its the far left switch and its function we are trying to identify?

the fuse panel

left to right water pump, ????, electric step (removed) ???? ignitor for water heater ? Fridge if I am wrong please correct me .
and lastly the hella socket that I have removed (above the gas rings) has been changed to this 12 V muti way with voltage readout..

Attachments

• control panel .JPG
    control panel .JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 49
  • fuses.JPG
    fuses.JPG
    13.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 12v.JPG
    12v.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 47
OP
OP
sam496
Sep 27, 2017
Herts
Funster No
MH
Adria coral 660SL
Exp
2 weeks

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Could it not be as simple as indicating your panel system is 'on'

For example on mine, the power button glows green when 'on' [bottom left]
I then also have to press the 12v button [top left] to power up the 12v system.
Being on EHU makes no difference to that indication
different but similar?

control panel.jpg

I can't see the usefulness - because the display illuminates when the on/off button is pressed which seems to me to be a reasonable indication it's on :confused:.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

different but similar?

View attachment 188887

I can't see the usefulness - because the display illuminates when the on/off button is pressed which seems to me to be a reasonable indication it's on :confused:.
It is illuminated , I would have thought , so that in the pitch dark you can see it to press it & turn on.

OP
OP
sam496
Sep 27, 2017
Herts
Funster No
MH
Adria coral 660SL
Exp
2 weeks

different but similar?

View attachment 188887

Maybe so, but the switch also operates a relay which I can hear, I dont know the function of the relay as the habitation lights stay on in whichever position the switch is in.

OP
OP
sam496
Sep 27, 2017
Herts
Funster No
MH
Adria coral 660SL
Exp
2 weeks
Thanks for all the replies,

I dont think an inverter has ever been fitted, no signs of it anyway and as all additions have been direct to habitation battery no sign there either.

there are signs that the wiring has been played with behind the panel behind the fuse panel in the habitation area, and with some research it seems that is quite common with this set up, the quality of the work is poor and I think I may be able to do better myself. (winter project)

Annie's PDF of a similar panel suggests its a switch to turn off all interior and exterior lighting seems resonable but that function is not working.

LED may be as suggexted so you can see the panel in the dark, its always on.

Relay switching is definite and maybe have to wait to the end of the week so I can trace wires, difficult on your own..

OP
OP
sam496
Sep 27, 2017
Herts
Funster No
MH
Adria coral 660SL
Exp
2 weeks
Mystery solved yesterday morning, we were trying to get the trumatic heater working which has a LED on it, we found that the fan and auto ignition would not work unless the switch was up (they all work when up is on).

So rather being an isolater for the habitation lights it is an isolater for the heating system... May be wrong but at least I have both lights and heating now...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back