Electric step problems (1 Viewer)

Jun 10, 2016
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2000
Hi everybody, perhaps someone of you can help me with a little intermittent problem I'm having with the electric step in my 2004 Hymer B654 in that, it has lowered and raised itself, on a few occasions, without anyone touching the switch. It has a rocker type up/down switch at the door and an up only switch on the dash. A friend has suggested that it might be a dodgy relay,so,my question is, could anybody let me know where that particular relay is located , so I could replace it. If anybody can help I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance, ----- Simon.

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Dont know what type of step or switch Hymers have on them, but when my step was doing similar i found out it was a switch that was inside the step housing itself, looks a little like a fridge light switch, as the step retracts the arms run over the switch to stop it from going any further, i changed it in the hope that was the problem and it turned it it was, no more going to step out via the hab door an looking down to watch the step moving back in - switch cost about £10

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the switches are also prone to failing

OP
OP
S
Jun 10, 2016
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2000
Thanks everyone that replied, I have the main up / down switch ordered at the moment, so I'll try that first and see how it behaves. Many thanks everybody, Simon.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
OP
OP
S
Jun 10, 2016
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2000
Hi Again,well, my switch arrived and I fitted it, and all worked perfectly until I was out driving the weekend when it played up again, so the problem must be elsewhere. The first thing i noticed was that when I lowered the step when we set up in our campsite the buzzer sounded, even though the ignition switch was off at the time, ( it's only supposed to to go off when the engine is started) Next day when we were driving home the step went down on it's own, luckily the buzzer warned me, then it refused to go back up, so I had to mechanically disconnect it from the motor and tie it up to get home. So now I'm wondering what my next move should be, should i replace the switch on the motor ?? . Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks Simon.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
triggering by itself whilst moving suggests a short circuit or a bad connection making and breaking the circuit

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back