Electric problems after fitting TRIK L START (1 Viewer)

barry mcconnell

Free Member
Feb 12, 2017
scotland
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
1 year
I have fitted a TRIK L START battery maintainer to my 2008 ci carioca 656 and for some unknown reason my habitation electrics now do not work anymore. They do work when I use the EHU, I have been looking at fuses and conection issuse but these all seem to be fine.
After trying to look at this again this afternoon, I noticed that when I had the engine running and I unplugged the EHU I then tried the electrics and they all worked from the control panel as they should. I then turned off the engine and all the electrics then went off. I put the engine back on but no power to the control panel at all, and no electrics to the habitation lights ect.

I have re-checked the three wires from the maintainer are all in the correct place (and they are) so I am completely stumped.

Any help or suggestions in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
sounds like the leisure battery is flat. on ehu the charger is powering the hab electrics and the engine is when running.
either flat or a bad connection or fuse at the leisure battery

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Possibly an inline fuse in the 12v+ wire near the hab battery.
When running the engine or hooked up the battery isn't needed for power unless there is a draw bigger than the engine or charger can provide then it draws the excess from the battery.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B

barry mcconnell

Free Member
Feb 12, 2017
scotland
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
1 year
Thanks The big 1
I have checked the 10amp fuse at the battery and it is fine, I also checked the battery with my multimeter and it was showing 13.2v. As for the the bad connection this might be the issue, but I had no problems before fitting the TRIK L START.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
welcome animated smiley3.gif

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have checked the 10amp fuse at the battery and it is fine, I also checked the battery with my multimeter
I would expect the main battery fuse to be bigger than 10a....maybe 20/25/30amps.
Your water pump or heater blower would possibly exceed that, especially if both on together.
Are you positive the 10a fuse isn't feeding some other add on item ?
I would also expect to see well over 13.2v at the battery on hook up or engine running....maybe as high as 14v plus depending on battery state of charge.
13.6v is float/maintenance charge voltage so 13.2v will never fully charge the battery.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

barry mcconnell

Free Member
Feb 12, 2017
scotland
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
1 year
You may well be right, I have just noticed another fuse box that was wrapped in insulating tape, this has a bolt at either end with a piece of flat metal running between them. It has no amps on the box but it is still intact. Thinking logically it must have to do with the connection from the battery to the hab electrics. I have now put my leisure battery on charge just incase it has something to do with this.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Going by your description that sounds like a shunt for a remote volt/current meter like the NASA BM1.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:pink:

Just looked at the spec for the Trik-L-Start, it says that it maintains the engine battery 0.2v below the leisure battery voltage but it does not give any triger points. A similar product the CBE split charge relay does not start charging the engine battery until the leisure batteries are at 13.6v or above and stops charging if they are below 12.6v.
I am wondering if it doesn't have a low voltage cut off and your engine battery was low and the Trik -L - Start has flattened the lesiure batteries to a point where it has bug**d them

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It's possible that the Trik-L-Start is fooling the hab cut-off relay into thinking that the engine is running. Which cuts off the hab electrics.

OP
OP
B

barry mcconnell

Free Member
Feb 12, 2017
scotland
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
1 year
Hab electrics work perfectly on EHU, but only works with engine running after I take out the EHU while engine is still running. If I try the electrics after I turn the engine off and then back on again it does not work.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back