ELECTRIC PASSENGER WINDOW NOT WORKING (1 Viewer)

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
The passenger window on my HYMER 655 is not working properly. If I press the window switch the window will always go down, but when I press the switch for it to come back up, Nothing, If I continue driving after a couple of hours it will go up when I press the switch. This is a bit inconvenient if it is wet or raining, I have tried spraying the contacts on the rear of the switch and the plug that attaches to the switch with no joy, there doesn't appear to be any fuse that I can find which is relevant to the window but it wouldn't be the fuss because then it wouldn't work at all,I have traced the wiring harness from the switch to the step well and to where it disappeared into the bulk-
-head, but cannot find where it goes from there, I have read on some forums that it's a known problem but no-one can suggest a remedy, Any suggestions please. TIA.

OP
OP
gwyntaxi

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
Switch contacts? Spray or if you can't get at them, replace.
Yes I have sprayed them a number of times but this hasn't made any difference and they are all shiny so not oxidized at all. Thanks anyway.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Had similar problems with my electric windows. I cured mine just by repeatedly using them and spraying the window seals and channels with WD40 - I figured the problem was just lack of use...

OP
OP
gwyntaxi

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
I have tried spraying them with contact cleaner a number of times but it makes no difference, so Iam reluctant to try up and downing it now because when it goes down it won't come back up for quite a few hours later,very awkward when raining, or a security risk at night or if leaving the van. Thanks anyway.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Had this happen on a merc hymer.
Fuse was under offside driver's seat.

OP
OP
gwyntaxi

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
This is an intermittent fault in that it will always go down, but won't come back up until quite some time later, so I don't think it is fuse related, however, I cannot find any fuse relating to the window my HYMER is RHD and the electroblok and fuses on it are under the passenger seat left hand side. Thanks anyway.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Have you tried spraying the window seals and channels though? It made all the difference to mine - it takes the motor more effort to raise the window

OP
OP
gwyntaxi

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
Have you tried spraying the window seals and channels though? It made all the difference to mine - it takes the motor more effort to raise the window
Hi Barclaybasher, Yes thanks, I've tried lubricating the channels and gripping the
Window glass to try and pull the glass up whilst operating the switch but still no joy. Thanks anyway.

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
I have a year 2000 merc hymer that had the same window switch problem .
I took the switch out managed to get the switch apart and re assembled the small contacts inside the switch, fairly easy to do.
Has worked fine ever since (y)

TinTentTourist

Free Member
Jun 26, 2019
LA15 The Furness Peninsular, Cumbria.
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 754
Exp
Day 1 will be 10th July 2019
I had this problem on a VW Transporter, everyone said new switch, but I took the switch out of the door and sprayed it with this Wurth cleaner - real top quality stuff if a bit pricey. It worked for me and that was 5 years ago, no further problems.
Contact spray 300ml about £14

supposed to be a link visible to Amazon... I can't see it! Fixed link!

OP
OP
gwyntaxi

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
I had this problem on a VW Transporter, everyone said new switch, but I took the switch out of the door and sprayed it with this Wurth cleaner - real top quality stuff if a bit pricey. It worked for me and that was 5 years ago, no further problems.
Contact spray 300ml about £14

supposed to be a link visible to Amazon... I can't see it! Fixed link!
Hi Tintentourist, will have to keep trying this method as it seems this is what has worked for others too. Thanks anyway.

OP
OP
gwyntaxi

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
I have a year 2000 merc hymer that had the same window switch problem .
I took the switch out managed to get the switch apart and re assembled the small contacts inside the switch, fairly easy to do.
Has worked fine ever since (y)
Hi wigster, don't quite understand what you mean by taking the switch "apart" but I will have a look at this just In case, Thanks anyway.

Jul 2, 2017
Pr9 9qs
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix 670sl
Exp
Check the wiring were it goes through door post to door done loads of rub throughs even a partial rub through will cause an intermittent fault. A fuse will not that’s a permanent fault unless a bad connection

OP
OP
gwyntaxi

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
Hi Mecca 1954, ok, will try that tomorrow the actual wiring between the the panel and door post(frame) is covered by some convoluted piping so will have a look , but it's gone from intermittent to not working at all. Thanks anyway.

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
My switch comes apart into 2 pieces. At each longways side of the switch is a tab that allows middle of switch to slide out. If you were anywhere nearer i would have a look for you atm i am in west sussex.

OP
OP
gwyntaxi

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
Hi wigster, Yes I see what you mean there two small lugs each lengthways side so I took it apart and two small brass contacts fell out, all seemed to look ok so I've put it back together but still no joy. Thanks anyway.

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
One of the contacts on mine was out of position . If you have put the contacts back properly at least you have ruled that out. Sorry i can only say what cured mine . Best of luck finding a solution (y)

OP
OP
gwyntaxi

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
Yes I slotted the two little brass contacts in where they belong but no joy, I am at Malvern show at the moment but when I get home I will check the wiring plug with multi meter and maybe invest in a new switch to see if that sorts it.

Kelsae2

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 9, 2011
kelso,scottish borders
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I had the same problem on the drivers door on my Fiat Ducato based Rapido. After checking fuses, buying a new motor and fitting it there was no difference, it stayed down. Putting a direct contact onto the battery brought the window back up. It seems it was a faulty wire going through the door. I have left the window up ever since. It is a bit awkward at times.

OP
OP
gwyntaxi

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
Hi Kelsae 2, Thanks for your interest, I will bear that In mind, I am trying to avoid the new motor route, in case it doesn't make any difference. Thanks anyway.

Kelsae2

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 9, 2011
kelso,scottish borders
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
It did not make any difference, I ended up putting the old one back in and keeping the new one. It is definitely the wiring through the door. But I didn't want to start messing about with that.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
That's posh electric passenger window my Hymer's only got one on the driver's door. :ROFLMAO:
Might be with taking the gearbox on the motor apart and check for a damaged tooth on the gearwheels. I'm thinking that driving for a couple hours the vibration moves it a bit and it then engages.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Simple test of the motor and mechanism: find the two wires connected to the motor and unplug so they are only connected to the motor. Connect 12v to them briefly (either way round) so you can see what the window is trying to do. One way round will drive the window up and reversing the connection will drive it down. If this test is successful you know that the motor and mechanism is OK.

OP
OP
gwyntaxi

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
Many thanks to all you funsters for your efforts of help and advice, have tried all except removing the door panel and dismantling the motor/wiring, reason being my van is 14years old and having partially attempting to remove the plastic moulded door panel because it appears very brittle and on the verge of cracking in all directions so I may just visit a auto electrician to check the wiring circuit out and take it from there. Gwyntaxi.

Jul 2, 2017
Pr9 9qs
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix 670sl
Exp
Many thanks to all you funsters for your efforts of help and advice, have tried all except removing the door panel and dismantling the motor/wiring, reason being my van is 14years old and having partially attempting to remove the plastic moulded door panel because it appears very brittle and on the verge of cracking in all directions so I may just visit a auto electrician to check the wiring circuit out and take it from there. Gwyntaxi.
You can buy a panel removal tool. Like a forked prong for getting behind the clips from toolmart etc.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
How does the motor know to stop, torque or is there a limit switch? Not that I have a clue about Hymers.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Similar problem to mine.

Must change my username.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
How does the motor know to stop, torque or is there a limit switch? Not that I have a clue about Hymers.
Don't know about Hymer but most cars use a device that switches off the motor when it senses the rise in current from a stalled motor. The advantage of such a system is that it stops the motor if anything obstructs the window as well as acting as an end-stop.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back