Electric Hookup Supply at Campsites (1 Viewer)

DumfriesDik

Free Member
Nov 22, 2020
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
In the UK, I just plug in to the electric hookup supply and all is good.
On my Googling journey I have come across a hookup lead to reverse the electric polarity for France. Is this needed in addition to the French hook up lead?? Is this the norm in France, and Europe?

prb

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 10, 2015
Aldershot
Funster No
MH
Low profile coachbuilt
Exp
Four years
Many will say that reversed polarity isn't something to worry about. It means that your internal switched supply may still be live even though the socket/breaker is in the off position.
For peace of mind, invest in a socket tester plug and use a polarity change lead, but many don't bother.

Aug 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Wildax
Exp
~20 years
The problem occurs because of different ways of cutting the power in emergency - the circuit breakers.

In the UK, we tend to just switch the live feed off. This means that we're very careful to make sure we know that the live feed is wired correctly.

In France, they tend to switch off both the live and neutral feeds. This means they don't have to worry so much about whether the live and neutral are the right way around.

Both systems are fine. But problems can occur when a MH which only switches the live, is connected to an incorrectly wired bollard in France.

The easy way to tell if live and neutral are reversed is to plug in a little tester. https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-ms6860d-16a-socket-tester-230v-ac/91596

I use a reverse polarity lead when needed. It is simply a very short lead, with the live and neutral connections reversed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DumfriesDik

DumfriesDik

Free Member
Nov 22, 2020
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Funnily enough, I have just ordered a tester!

I use medical equipment at night (CPAP) and was wondering how that might be affected by the French supply.

Aug 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Wildax
Exp
~20 years
I use a tester as a routine when setting up, after finding no earth on a bollard in the UK.

Your CPAP machine will be fine.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I was going to get a tester to search for reverse polarity but the next step put me off. If you find that youā€™ve got reverse polarity youā€™ve got to then put some sort of extra lead in, I researched where you get one and most people seem to make one from a spare lead which involved far more electrical skills than I have. I decided to go back to the tried and tested method of not looking for trouble in the first place. The ready made leads seemed to be on ebay and of doubtful provenance. My method has worked successfully throughout England, Wales and large parts of the EU. I cannot comment on Scotland as I havenā€™t been up there.

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
You may also need an adapter for French 2 pin connections - most places now use the Euro type plug with 3 pins, but you do occasionally still find the old type.
Or easy enough to find in France - but MH shops are never open when you need them.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I would advise checking the consumer unit in your MOHO, if it has double pole breakers don't worry at all, if it has single pole breakers, worry a little bit. It is only a problem if it trips and you then start messing about with the electrics without first checking šŸ˜ƒ

Aug 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Wildax
Exp
~20 years
I was going to get a tester to search for reverse polarity but the next step put me off. If you find that youā€™ve got reverse polarity youā€™ve got to then put some sort of extra lead in, I researched where you get one and most people seem to make one from a spare lead which involved far more electrical skills than I have. I decided to go back to the tried and tested method of not looking for trouble in the first place. The ready made leads seemed to be on ebay and of doubtful provenance. My method has worked successfully throughout England, Wales and large parts of the EU. I cannot comment on Scotland as I havenā€™t been up there.
You could always use a tester, and if the outlet you're plugged into has reversed polarity look for a different outlet.

Aug 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Wildax
Exp
~20 years
>> The ready made leads seemed to be on ebay and of doubtful provenance.

That would be because they're not needed for use in the UK.

I wish the NCC would insist that all MHs and caravans sold in the UK had breakers which switched off both the live and neutral. That way there would be nothing to be concerned about.

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Our previous Swift motorhome wouldnā€™t work if the live/neutral where the wrong way around and I needed to check each camp site if France. I got used to swapping the wires over.
Our current Hymer doesnā€™t appear fussed and works either way.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
In the UK, I just plug in to the electric hookup supply and all is good.
On my Googling journey I have come across a hookup lead to reverse the electric polarity for France. Is this needed in addition to the French hook up lead?? Is this the norm in France, and Europe?
Unless youā€™re going to be working on your electrics then no, it makes no difference at all. Some just like to have something to worry about. If reversed polarity makes so much difference, is so dangerous how come France hasnā€™t blown up? Isnā€™t on fire?

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
The problem occurs because of different ways of cutting the power in emergency - the circuit breakers.

In the UK, we tend to just switch the live feed off. This means that we're very careful to make sure we know that the live feed is wired correctly.

In France, they tend to switch off both the live and neutral feeds. This means they don't have to worry so much about whether the live and neutral are the right way around.

Both systems are fine. But problems can occur when a MH which only switches the live, is connected to an incorrectly wired bollard in France.

The easy way to tell if live and neutral are reversed is to plug in a little tester. https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-ms6860d-16a-socket-tester-230v-ac/91596

I use a reverse polarity lead when needed. It is simply a very short lead, with the live and neutral connections reversed.
+1 for the reverse polarity ehu extension

Steve

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
You could always use a tester, and if the outlet you're plugged into has reversed polarity look for a different outlet.
Why on earth would a campsite have a mixture of posts , some with and some without reverse polarity. That sounds really daft. I will stick with my tried and true method of not looking for it. Having found a nice spot Iā€™m not then going hunting for a different one, Iā€™m on holiday, not looking for things to worry about.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Funnily enough, I have just ordered a tester!

I use medical equipment at night (CPAP) and was wondering how that might be affected by the French supply.
What The Ex-Gasman said ..... if you have a continental van you probably don't have to worry.

Your CPAP will be fine :) We have a 12v lead for ours and with a 135KWh leisure battery know that it will run for a minimum of 3 nights even without additional charging before getting down to the 50% danger discharge of the battery. However we also carry a second battery which isn't connected to anything else "just in case". The CPAP was funded by the NHS but the 12v lead we had to buy ourselves ...... however you should be exempt from VAT on the purchase. We also had additional sockets put at the back of the van for the CPAP and the dealer got us to sign the declaration they were for disability reasons (CPAP use) and the supply and fit of those was also VAT exempt.

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Tigger-Tim Would you just have a look at the item you posted from Screwfix. On the spec it says it doesnā€™t test for polarity, does that mean it wonā€™t indicate reverse polarity?

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Tigger-Tim Would you just have a look at the item you posted from Screwfix. On the spec it says it doesnā€™t test for polarity, does that mean it wonā€™t indicate reverse polarity?
You can only test for polarity by referencing earth, by doing so a device would fail an insulation test.

Aug 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Wildax
Exp
~20 years
How strange. The instructions for it don't quite make sense. Maybe one to avoid.

I actually have this one in my camper: Amazon product ASIN B087TYXHKW which give the voltage and definitely checks for live-neutral reverse.

Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
So some vans might not be fussed about reversed polarity. What about common appliances that one might use? Any problem there?

Aug 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Wildax
Exp
~20 years
Why on earth would a campsite have a mixture of posts , some with and some without reverse polarity. That sounds really daft....
It's simply that if they don't care which way live and neutral are wired, it'll be a 50:50 chance as to whether you get one the 'right' way around or the 'wrong' way around. Because the French use double pole breakers (ie. they switch BOTH live and neutral off) it really doesn't matter to them. Indeed it only matters to british caravans and MHs who might only switch off the live.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
So some vans might not be fussed about reversed polarity. What about common appliances that one might use? Any problem there?
No. Its AC so the polarity is constantly changing. What the phrase is used for is to describe live and neutral being reversed but the appliance won't notice the difference.

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Tigger-Tim Thanks for the reply. So am I correct in thinking that my new to be Adria will have breakers that switch off both live & neutral so I wonā€™t need to use my reverse polarity lead in the future or even check for reverse polarity

Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
I would advise checking the consumer unit in your MOHO, if it has double pole breakers don't worry at all, if it has single pole breakers, worry a little bit. It is only a problem if it trips and you then start messing about with the electrics without first checking šŸ˜ƒ
Is the difference obviously visible to the unqualified, such as myself?

Oct 6, 2021
Funster No
MH
PVC
It's simply that if they don't care which way live and neutral are wired, it'll be a 50:50 chance as to whether you get one the 'right' way around or the 'wrong' way around. Because the French use double pole breakers (ie. they switch BOTH live and neutral off) it really doesn't matter to them. Indeed it only matters to british caravans and MHs who might only switch off the live.
All the new British caravans I have had in the last 15 or so years have had double pole isolators.

In any case why does it matter in the slightest whether it switches off just the live or the neutral, unless you are going to do something daft like take an appliance apart with it still plugged in, or shove a knife in a toaster while that is plugged in. It should be pointed out the the best electrical safety in the home or a motorhome is the RCD. That device doesn't care which way round the live and neutral are connected, or even if there is an earth present.

On the subject of RCDs, I wonder how many of you who regularly check for reverse polarity test the RCD in the motorhome or indeed in the home on a regular basis? ::bigsmile:

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
No, I once had a call to a boiler fault when I checked I found the house had been wired, the day before, live and neutral transposed, the only thing not working was the boiler that was unable to detect the flame, on a MOHO the boiler is from the 12 volt so no problems at all

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Is the difference obviously visible to the unqualified, such as myself?
A single pole will be thin with a single switch a double pole will be twice as thick as a single with a switch joined together

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back