Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Oh well... it looks very understated and much like any other bike so he won't loose any sleep about that!

Fine....tell that to chap that that had a run in with a bus in Richmond park. Police prosecuted him when they discovered what he was riding. Traffic cops not stupid...

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Have not found anyone yet who is not impressed by them....if they bother trying one that is.
Just tell us the difference for going to the shops , I get on mine and as long as I am turning the pedals , don't actually have to push on them , it just powers wherever I want to go , uphill or anywhere , does about twenty mile on a charge, so only doing about 5 miles a week it lasts a month, what more could yours do for me for about a grand more, never mind £9500, that's got to be a joke isn't it.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We are all different... Live and let live?

Some really enjoy cycling on decent ebikes and don't get fixsated re the cost. My brother in law stayed last weekend,he has a £9500 road bike, one ride of mine and he has ordered one for his commute to work. So another car off the road..all good in my book!:)
You have got to remember some people don't have the amount of money that you seem to have and have to fixate on the cost, if you live on your pension your bike costs about a years pension for something to get to the shops when you can catch the bus for nowt with your bus pass.:(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Just tell us the difference for going to the shops , I get on mine and as long as I am turning the pedals , don't actually have to push on them , it just powers wherever I want to go , uphill or anywhere , does about twenty mile on a charge, so only doing about 5 miles a week it lasts a month, what more could yours do for me for about a grand more, never mind £9500, that's got to be a joke isn't it.

Your happy im happy...please give it a rest....

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
As @Judgemental is aware we are in the process of buying 2 eBikes, but as of yet have not found one that we can say "yes this is the one", however we have been given 2 on loan ( thinks we are going to buy them ) for 5 days now and I have to say very very impressed. They are Spanish made, but sold all over the world. Here is a link to the model we are playing with:
http://electricbikereview.com/easy-motion/neo-volt/
Has totally changed my views of cycling. I would recommend you try before you buy. We passed a group of Spanish cyclists in all the kit yesterday and they stating "muy bueno que eres más rápido que somos" - very good you are faster then we are" and I was not even trying hard.

20 mph on twist grip throttle and 25 mph on pedal assist! Is this legal in Spain?.

Martin

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
20 mph on twist grip throttle and 25 mph on pedal assist! Is this legal in Spain?.

Martin
At the risk of being less popular then I already seem to be:) of course its not legal, here or anywhere else. As for doing 30 mph on a bike with 16 inch wheels... Rather you then me!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Horses for course as they say, 20 miles on a charge, I'd have the lug a generator with me to get home. With that battery life I doubt if it wouldn't have got the first mile up the hills we cycled up yesterday.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Horses for course as they say, 20 miles on a charge, I'd have the lug a generator with me to get home. With that battery life I doubt if it wouldn't have got the first mile up the hills we cycled up yesterday.
Agreed but I have not done 20 miles on a bike in 50 years, and done that in a month since I have had this one, that is the point I am trying to get over , maybe others don't want to do more than 5 miles a week either , in which case these 2 or three grand bikes are way out of the question.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
At the risk of being less popular then I already seem to be:) of course its not legal, here or anywhere else. As for doing 30 mph on a bike with 16 inch wheels... Rather you then me!
Not unpopular with me , just expressing a different view, I have every respect for your knowledge on bikes, for people who want to bike for pleasure, fine ,but for folks like me who wouldn't be seen dead on a bike except to get me where I want to get a bit easier don't see the need in 9 grand for two wheels and a bit of old iron.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Not unpopular with me , just expressing a different view, I have every respect for your knowledge on bikes, for people who want to bike for pleasure, fine ,but for folks like me who wouldn't be seen dead on a bike except to get me where I want to get a bit easier don't see the need in 9 grand for two wheels and a bit of old iron.

Hope your sitting down:).....At anything over £5k the more you spend the less you get..simply the law of diminishing returns

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/10000-bikes-whats-the-point-32350/

The OP wants a Bosch powered bike, or thinks he does, I have advised him to try a few different systems and bikes out first.....I like to steer people towards value deals as long as they have made their own minds up first. Be happy with your choice, if it does what you want, great!

Last edited:

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........

Martin
Martin, there is no twist grip on the Spanish model and it only does 35km max. We went out today and got 75km total from the battery, now my bum is very sore........... The bike is totally legal in Spain. We are considering these as the number one choice for us. They come with 9amp battery, but I will be ordering the 12volt subject to price.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
@Judgemental at the end of the day if thats what you want and can afford it I don't see the problem. There are members on here that change their MH faster than I change my oil on the MH. Life is to short to wish you had done this or done that. Go for it is what I say.................

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

For 9 grand you get more carbon fibre and titanium than old iron.

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
When we had the business we made carbon fibre chainrings and other bits for some of the lightest (and most expensive) bikes in the world.

The guys that took over still do fibre-lyte.co.uk

image.jpeg

Martin

OP
OP
Teuchter

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
A big thank you to everybody who has responded with advice (especially @Judgemental)

Over the next few weeks we will attempt to try out several of the bikes mentioned and buy in November ready for the "off" to Spain for 2 months in January :)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
When we had the business we made carbon fibre chainrings and other bits for some of the lightest (and most expensive) bikes in the world.

The guys that took over still do fibre-lyte.co.uk

View attachment 78763

Martin

Hope @chaser got out of bed right side his morning:)

look at this Chaser:

do you run a car as i dont. they cost £3000 a year to run and that's without buying it...I much rather use the bike then bus its faster and more invigorating and yes I have a free 60+ London travel card as well. handy for when raining as I'm a cyclist not a masochist:giggle:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Hope @chaser got out of bed right side his morning:)

look at this Chaser:

do you run a car as i dont. they cost £3000 a year to run and that's without buying it...I much rather use the bike then bus its faster and more invigorating and yes I have a free 60+ London travel card as well. handy for when raining as I'm a cyclist not a masochist:giggle:
I'm fine thanks same as last night(y), I have got nothing against you and quite enjoy your posts, all I was trying to point out , some people don't have loads of money to buy a bike they maybe don't need , yeah I run a moter, two in fact but both of them put together would not come to as much as your bike, and pay for themselves as they are both pickups, for use in the job , the motorhome cost £15000 and is the most I have ever spent on anything but land, and will have to last because I can't afford anything like that again.
If you like useing your bike for pleasure and you have the money spare well go ahead , no problem but if you are like me and would only get on a bike as a last resort , even the £250 we paid is really over the top.
All I am pointing out to someone who might like a electric bike but see your posts and think they have to pay thousands to get one , is that they don't have to, the cheap ones are quite adequate for messing about on.(y):)

OP
OP
Teuchter

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
One (hopefully final ) question to @Judgemental and all others

Gears - In hub or Derailleur?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

personally much prefer derailleur. Shimano XT, silky smooth shifting and light weight. please ask away!:)

I'm fine thanks same as last night(y), I have got nothing against you and quite enjoy your posts, all I was trying to point out , some people don't have loads of money to buy a bike they maybe don't need , yeah I run a moter, two in fact but both of them put together would not come to as much as your bike, and pay for themselves as they are both pickups, for use in the job , the motorhome cost £15000 and is the most I have ever spent on anything but land, and will have to last because I can't afford anything like that again.
If you like useing your bike for pleasure and you have the money spare well go ahead , no problem but if you are like me and would only get on a bike as a last resort , even the £250 we paid is really over the top.
All I am pointing out to someone who might like a electric bike but see your posts and think they have to pay thousands to get one , is that they don't have to, the cheap ones are quite adequate for messing about on.(y):)

so that £2.200 chain wheel dont appeal then?:giggle:

All good honestly..you dont have to justify your motives:) but this not about you or me is it... the OP Simon has a £2k'ish budget per bike and looking for the kind of bikes I know a bit about..lets see how he gets on once he rides a few up hill and down dale.. he might decide to get a scooter:D

Eddie

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp

If I just had a bike at home either but considering getting them in and out of my garage Derailleur are another thing to get snagged so in hub.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Ever since I got a motorbike at sixteen 52 years ago, phew is it that long , never had the inclination to get on a bike again;), but seeing as the legs aren't what they were just got one to save a bit of walking , that's all I need(y)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If I just had a bike at home either but considering getting them in and out of my garage Derailleur are another thing to get snagged so in hub.
If you are useing a bike like judge does , maybe you need the derailleur, but on the one I've got it really only needs two gears , one to set off then straight into top , don't need any more as it does all the work, with the three gears on the motor.

OP
OP
Teuchter

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
Thank you everyone (particularly Eddie @Judgemental) for all your help/tips/suggestions - we have today bought -Taaraaraa - drum roll

A pair of brand new Raleigh Motus e bikes!!! (kalkhoff agattu came very very close but Bosch won)

A tough decision as they are not the most stylish/sought after ones but they impressed both of us mainly because

1. Bosch active line motor (maybe Eddies influence ;) )
2. Very easy & comfortable to ride
3. Plenty of power on hills
4. Local bike shop (5 miles from home) with knowledgeable staff
6. Good deal - £3400 for the pair :)

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
How fast does a peddle assist bike go ? Is it speed restricted ?

Lenny did you go into the elecy bike shop in Shoreham at all ?

OP
OP
Teuchter

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
In UK by law no more than 15mph

Electric bikes: the rules

In Great Britain, if you’re 14 or over you don’t need a licence to ride electric bikes that meet certain requirements, and they don’t need to be registered, taxed or insured.

Electric bikes meeting the requirements are called ‘electrically assisted pedal cycles’ (EAPCs). They can be 2-wheeled bicycles, tandems or tricycles.

EAPC requirements
The requirements are:

• the bike must have pedals that can be used to propel it
  • the electric motor shouldn’t be able to propel the bike when it’s travelling more than 15.5mph
  • the motor shouldn’t have a maximum power output of more than 250 watts
The bike must also have a plate with the details about the manufacturer. It must also display either:

• the motor’s power output or the manufacturer
  • the voltage of the battery or maximum speed of the bike
Where you can ride an EAPC
If a bike meets the EAPC requirements it’s classed as a normal pedal bike. This means you can ride it on cycle paths and anywhere else pedal bikes are allowed.

Other kinds of electric bike
Any electric bike that doesn’t meet the EAPC rules needs to be registered and taxed. You’ll need a driving licence to ride one and you must wear a crash helmet.

The vehicle will also need to be ‘type approved’ to make sure it’s safe to use on the road.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
How fast does a peddle assist bike go ? Is it speed restricted ?

Lenny did you go into the elecy bike shop in Shoreham at all ?
Went in 3 out of the 4.
As fast as you peddle.:) Not been over 35mph yet (down hill).
On road legal ones assist cuts out at 25kpm (15.5) Bosch set theirs at the top end of the 10% tolerance nearly 17mph although assitance drops out faily easy to maintain 20mph on the flat. If you buy an off road bike with 350 watt motor assisted up to 50kpm, but you need to be registered taxed & insured for road use which is not possible as DVLA don't have a clue.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back