Elddis?? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 23, 2008
chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
Swift BESSACAR 597
Exp
We are looking for a replacement MH,(currently selling the one we have) and like the look of the Elddis models but don’t know much about this make.
Any information gratefully received.

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
I have a Elddis Majestic 155 - 3 years old, bought new…..excessive damp at the rear…..make sure you have a good warranty! Other than that……..
However, not many makes of Motorhome are ‘perfect’……if any?? :unsure:

edit:-see this thread

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2021
Northampton, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Apache 700
Exp
Some....good & bad!
Arguably one of the worst build qualities in the industry, however there are many satisfied owners who have been fortunate enough to avoid the usual failings.
I'd like to go back to an end lounge layout and the 196 looked a contender, i'm just not that brave though lol!
Once again it's a roll of the dice.

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Not had any problems with our 10 year old Elddis Autoquest 175, and doubt we will change to a different van.

All motorhome manufacturers including the supposed perfect German made vans have some vans with problems.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 25, 2017
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
Since2012
We have an Autoquest 185 and love the layout. It’s our 4th van all have been from different manufacturers. Impressed with it, less rattling than other vans as for build quality not an issue on ours. As with all other vans good and bad exist, relatives of mine had A class Hymer and had horrendous issues with it. As for damp all vans can have issues need to keep eye on readings and maintain seals. Remember they are a big flexible box that you are rattling around rubbish roads, don’t think you can buy any van and just run it without keeping an eye on seal condition.
When buying get damp report from dealer, if under 6 years check has been recorded correctly with Elddis. If over 6 years and your second owner it’s not covered by factory so see what dealer is offering and check on dealer review.
Were more than happy with ours and have no intention of changing it

Upvote 0
Jun 17, 2015
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
July 2015 plus 20 years of camping
Hmm - what can I say. Yes, be very careful about damp and exposed wood at the rear of earlier models. Personally I would never buy one again and would rather get an older European built van. Join the Elddis Facebook Forum and see what people are saying about them.

I looked at the newer models at the show last February and despite the decent layouts the interior furniture felt cheap and very flexible.

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2022
Oldham, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Chatsworth
Exp
Caravanning for 20 years MH from 2022
We have had Elddis caravans in the past - 2017 Affinity 550 - and now a Chatsworth 185 - dealer special Autoquest. Had no issues with 3 years with the Affinity and really impressed with the 185 in terms of build quality. Of course time will tell but so far happy we chose the model we did which was a perfect layout for us

Upvote 0
Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
Their build quality is poor. It is only when you get in behind cupboards, or crawl underneath etc that you realise how poorly constructed they are.
When they were cheap you could overlook this to some degree, but I was shocked to recently see some models for sale at over £80K!
Corners are cut where possible. For example, no insulation on inside of rear wheel arches.
We have owned two. The first one was actually quite good but we had lots of problems with the second one.
We now have an Adria.

Upvote 0
May 5, 2022
Kidsgrove, North Staffordshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B778 PL
Exp
Since 1992
Only ever had Elldis caravans and the build quality was awful.

Like many UK caravan manufacturers they have jumped on the motorhome bandwagon. They do not really understand motorhomes. They think they are a caravan mounted on a van chassis.

Upvote 0

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
It might be a good idea to hire one to see if you get on with the build quality (chosen layout less likely to be available). Marquis is the same van with different trim, I believe.

We hired one and it certainly helped us to make a decision about what we did and didn't want! We actively decided against buying an Elddis for many reasons due to our experience of the hire, but many folk here have them and are happy. Best to look at a variety of models, read everything you can, speak to owners and hire as close a model as you can before committing.

Whatever you choose, the more research you put in, the less likely you are to want to change the van.

Do read Jim's helpful guide too.

Upvote 0

Goldfinch

Free Member
Jan 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
getting soon
Only ever had Elldis caravans and the build quality was awful.

Like many UK caravan manufacturers they have jumped on the motorhome bandwagon. They do not really understand motorhomes. They think they are a caravan mounted on a van chassis.
Ditto - additionally, it's also good to think about the customer service too.... Elddis's customer service is basically along the lines "if they can get away blaming everything else except their poor build quality they will" - we have very recent experience (Aug 2022) - so nothing's changed there (sadly) since various takeovers of this company, which I believe now has an ultimate US owner - Thor Industries RV manufacturer.

Upvote 0

tmar

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 9, 2016
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Majestic 155
Exp
10yrs
After three years ( with a Majestic 155) they decided that the spares were not available and would not replace door hinge. They said it was due to them breaking and wanted to sell me a new door and frame. Apart from that we are now into our 11th year with the same van and would not change it as I have made several conversions and repairs.

Upvote 0

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Build quality is very poor, read many reports about damp and other issues. Go for a better built slightly used for same money and save yourself the potential grief. I looked at them at the NEC and everything was so light and flimsy and the show vans were poor build quality

Upvote 0

Suenliam

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 14, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion CV40
Exp
20+
We bought a new Elddis MH in 2000. Sold it in 2005 to get a new, bigger Adria. Yes the quality of the Elddis was not so good as the Adria, but the price reflected this and the Elddis was perfectly adequate. We never had a problem arise with the Elddis. Last year we bought an Elddis pvc. as our previous experience was good. Again it hasn't got the quality of the Adria, but we have no regrets. (Touch wood :giggler:) nothing gone wrong with our new one and the layout suits us perfectly.
The only issue with the new one is all the bells and whistles found on lots of new MHs/pvcs - stop-start, ad-blue, eco switch, etc. etc.
Sue

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2022
Oldham, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Chatsworth
Exp
Caravanning for 20 years MH from 2022
Ditto - additionally, it's also good to think about the customer service too.... Elddis's customer service is basically along the lines "if they can get away blaming everything else except their poor build quality they will" - we have very recent experience (Aug 2022) - so nothing's changed there (sadly) since various takeovers of this company, which I believe now has an ultimate US owner - Thor Industries RV manufacturer.
a lot of the issues can be resolved by a good dealer who initial contact should be with when problems, if any, arise. We have been with the same dealer for over 12 years through caravans and now motorhomes. We have a good relationship with them and trust them to deal with any problems on our behalf Including communicating with Elddis when required.

Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Build quality is very poor, read many reports about damp and other issues. Go for a better built slightly used for same money and save yourself the potential grief. I looked at them at the NEC and everything was so light and flimsy and the show I'vevans were poor build quality
For my 4th van I chose an 2 year old Eldiss 115, chosen on value and build quality, in full knowledge of the llow opinion held and strongly expressed by some people on this forum. I am so far pleased by my purchase and feel somewhat peeved that their opinion is expressed as fact, which has the potential to affect the value of my recent purchase. Since Eldiss is one of the biggest sellers in this country you would expect a greater number of problems to be reported.

Upvote 0

Clangers

Free Member
May 21, 2021
Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Pegasus Grand
Exp
Gone from 3 years 700 miles in Motorhome back to Caravaning
My Elddis 175 build quality was atrocious. From new it had bad leaks in the back.
First time we took it out the side window leaked and when I opened it, the window fell out.
Unbelievable how they think it's acceptable to send out rubbish like that.

Upvote 0

Goldfinch

Free Member
Jan 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
getting soon
While some may be lucky and very happy, the real problem is that the manufacturer's failure rate is far too high, causing those unlucky to suffer. It's important to put the blame at the manufacturer's feet. Indeed, if customers didn't complain standards would fall even further!

Upvote 0
May 5, 2022
Kidsgrove, North Staffordshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B778 PL
Exp
Since 1992
For my 4th van I chose an 2 year old Eldiss 115, chosen on value and build quality, in full knowledge of the llow opinion held and strongly expressed by some people on this forum. I am so far pleased by my purchase and feel somewhat peeved that their opinion is expressed as fact, which has the potential to affect the value of my recent purchase. Since Eldiss is one of the biggest sellers in this country you would expect a greater number of problems to be reported.
If you read back on the posts, you will see that people have told of their opinions of Elldis because they have had at least one and have told of their experiences. None are based on rumours.

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
If you read back on the posts, you will see that people have told of their opinions of Elldis because they have had at least one and have told of their experiences. None are based on rumours.

Really ......... there are posts in this thread that have not stated that they have had an Elddis and appear to be based on rumours unless they would like to return to the thread and correct this, and it sounds like some posters have never had an Elddis motorhome and base their experiences on a wobble box.

Build quality is very poor, read many reports about damp and other issues. Go for a better built slightly used for same money and save yourself the potential grief. I looked at them at the NEC and everything was so light and flimsy and the show vans were poor build quality
Arguably one of the worst build qualities in the industry, however there are many satisfied owners who have been fortunate enough to avoid the usual failings.
I'd like to go back to an end lounge layout and the 196 looked a contender, i'm just not that brave though lol!
Once again it's a roll of the dice.

Upvote 0

Clangers

Free Member
May 21, 2021
Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Pegasus Grand
Exp
Gone from 3 years 700 miles in Motorhome back to Caravaning
Yes indeed
Shower door rollers assembled incorrectly
Hinge screws ripping out due to badly fitted doors
I can't remember the other problems without getting the paperwork out.
The base vehicle was OK it was just the "caravan body stuck on the back"
Oh, the step broke.

Upvote 0

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Really ......... there are posts in this thread that have not stated that they have had an Elddis and appear to be based on rumours unless they would like to return to the thread and correct this, and it sounds like some posters have never had an Elddis motorhome and base their experiences on a wobble box.
So you are correct Elddis is not a manufacturer I have owned. Owned Swift and Autotrails but never an Elddis as I have always had a very low opinion of them. However, my Sister bought one as her first Motorhome 3 years ago, no matter how much I tried to put her off she was adamant it was a lovely looking Motorhome, which I must agree with. My advice was based on build quality and feedback and interaction with other Motorhome owners over the last 25 years. Regretfully, at 18 months old my suspicions and assumptions were correct when the rear floor felt like a sponge, further investigation showed a very wet back wall. The Motorhome was replaced by the dealer in a favourable part exchange changing to a none Elddis product.
So I guess “Told you so” was the order of the day.
Hope that makes things a little clearer and justifies my initial comment?

Upvote 1
Sep 10, 2022
Warrington, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 125
We are looking for a replacement MH,(currently selling the one we have) and like the look of the Elddis models but don’t know much about this make.
Any information gratefully received.
We have a 2016 Elddis Marquis 125 and whilst I can see from the history paperwork that there was a damp repair done a few years back due to the seal on the rear garage door being faulty, so far we have had no issues at all and I check regularly with a damp meter. It’s done 20k miles now (Peugeot Boxer) and we are pleased with it. Main reason for purchase was we liked the fixed rear bed with garage space underneath. Have to say, for a 6mtr long vehicle it’s well thought out from a layout perspective and is more than adequate for the two of us plus dog.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back