Clankie

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach built Majestic 125
Exp
Hi, it is a Majestic 125 really and it has a Euro 5 engine, Ford Puma 2.2 TDCi (Turbo Diesel Common rail injection)
Not a Peugeot engine!
After a hard run home from Lagos, three night stops before Calais, at the end of March this year for obvious reasons (it was fine then.) It has been idle apart from turning the wheels to a different position etc. Took it out for its Hab check at Marquis couple of weeks ago and it took ages for the engine temperature to rise to normal. On the way home, 20mile drive I kept a good eye on the temperature gauge.
At 70mph is was just below operating temp, then if you reduced the engine load to 55-60 the temp fell back to quarter scale cold! Not normal, I say. Now in the old days it would just be a thermostat sticking open, I think it is, BUT is there now a temperature sensor that feeds info to the engine management system to a valve to bypass the radiator?
Any thoughts from the technical readers??
Before I get my spanners out....

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
A tdci engine produces very little heat, unless being worked fairly hard, and the gauges on them aren’t always telling the true story as they are working from a digital reading reading sent from Ecu.

This is based on the same Tdci engine which is installed into Defenders. As soon as you were in traffic the temp would drop dramatically.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Our engine is the same one. Not noticed the gauge showing low, but then again I don't drive it in winter.. If the heater works I'd say it's OK 😏👌

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Clankie

Clankie

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach built Majestic 125
Exp
Thank you guys for your comments, my local garage carried out a mot and service yesterday, I told them about my observations. They put their diagnostic instrument on but found nothing! They didn’t have time to look further due to work load also they were not sure of the system that controls the engine temperature but said they would look into it. I did think the heater wasn‘t working very well when I took it for the hab check that’s when I took more notice of the temperature gauge. Interesting it is fed from the ECU. The main dealers in Exeter are good but I’m not keen on going near them at the moment reference Covid. I think I’ll speak to the service manager and see if he can give any advice. If they do a diagnostic and can’t find a problem they don’t charge, I had a glitch with the key a couple of years ago, although they couldn’t find a problem I paid for a re-code as I was there.
I will post my findings.👍👍

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Just to show my point, this post was made yesterday on my Defender forum. Which had many people telling him this is the way they are.

I've got a 2013 2.2 and over the last 18 months or so I have had an issue whereby the engine gets up to temp (as long as I am driving it) but as soon as it's stationary the temperature dies off to pretty much to nothing on the gauge. This correlates with the actual temperature of the heat provided inside the vehicle. I drive to work over a good 40 minute run, including motorway and then sometimes have to sit at the car park entrance waiting for them to open up so I can get in. Sat their on idle, not moving I have the blower on setting 1 to keep me warm, heater set to full hot, and the temp just dies away.

I've had the thermostat replaced about 12 months ago, and it seemed to be OK since then (albeit we've not had winter temps until the last few months, and it's started doing it again. So I had the thermostat changed again a few weeks ago and it's still doing it despite this!

I've tried different combinations of the heater controls to see if it makes any difference but it doesn't'. Recirculating warmer cabin air does not help vs. fresh colder air from outside.

I'm pretty sure the thermostat is not at fault as i've gone through 2 of them (all new genuine parts). Any ideas as to what else this issue could be?

Cheers!”

With these sort of replies

both ours drop to stone cold when not under load. Don't stand a chance of getting them up to temperature unless you can cruise along at a reasonable speed for a while when it's cold. You can keep some temperature stationary but only if you sit there holding the revs up manually.”

OP
OP
Clankie

Clankie

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach built Majestic 125
Exp
Hey Landy Andy, that is exactually what I’m getting, the outside temperature when I went to Marquis at 8am was about 5°C not very cold but fresh, hey we have been in Salamanca on the way south in January and it was -10°C overnight.
I had the blower to the cab full on and the temperature cranked up to 30° on the consul control, looks like leave well alone ech! No point changing the stat if yours is no different. Cheaper as well! We have friends locally who have a similar van as ours I’ll ask them the question tonight when we meet up on FaceTime.

OP
OP
Clankie

Clankie

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach built Majestic 125
Exp
Just had a phone chat with the technicians at main dealers, the control of the engine cooling water is a simple thermostat, that’s good in my opinion. As the engine is not working hard it seems not a problem especially with the low ambient temperature at present. No action is the answer, thanks for assisting with my thread, the knowledge in a forum like ours is phenomenal.👍👍
P.S. you need to take a hot water bottle if you are early and the work gates are closed, Ford Puma won’t keep you warm!🥴

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Have you checked if the cooling fan is on? It also runs when the AC is on if you use it to clear the screen.

OP
OP
Clankie

Clankie

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach built Majestic 125
Exp
No engine cooling fan on and no AC, it wasn’t required. Thanks for your interest.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back