QTECH

Free Member
Mar 22, 2017
Staffs
Funster No
MH
PVC White Rock
Exp
Hi does anyone know if the EBL 271 charges the starter battery whilst solely on Solar. No problems when connected to EHU or engine running. On solar the leisure battery maintains 13.5V but the starter battery drops steadily from 12.7 to 12.2 over a 10 day period whilst maintaining alarm / tracker. Any ideas please. Thanks. Stu

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi does anyone know if the EBL 271 charges the starter battery whilst solely on Solar. No problems when connected to EHU or engine running. On solar the leisure battery maintains 13.5V but the starter battery drops steadily from 12.7 to 12.2 over a 10 day period whilst maintaining alarm / tracker. Any ideas please. Thanks. Stu

would depend on whether the solar regulator is connected to the EBL ..

The Schaudt LR and LRM 1218 connect to EBL and charge both engine and leisure batteries..

Need to investigate and tell us what solar regulator you have and how it is connected.

OP
OP
Q

QTECH

Free Member
Mar 22, 2017
Staffs
Funster No
MH
PVC White Rock
Exp
Thanks for your reply. The motorhome is a 2016 Pilote P650 series with a factory fitted 120 w panel, the regulator has no name or model number and is not a LR1218. From the regulator a red wire is linked from + to pin 3 and a black wire from - to pin 1 on the EBL pin 2 being earth. Hope this helps. Stu

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Thanks for your reply. The motorhome is a 2016 Pilote P650 series with a factory fitted 120 w panel, the regulator has no name or model number and is not a LR1218. From the regulator a red wire is linked from + to pin 3 and a black wire from - to pin 1 on the EBL pin 2 being earth. Hope this helps. Stu
From this description it is only ever going to charge the leisure battery. Pins 1&3 of the solar input connection pass through to the leisure battery, some EBL units have pin 2 connected to engine battery, others need a secondary harness connecting to allow engine battery charging.

D.

OP
OP
Q

QTECH

Free Member
Mar 22, 2017
Staffs
Funster No
MH
PVC White Rock
Exp
Cheers Dave, In your opinion would fitting a Voltronic Standby charger cause any conflict with the EBL or would you suggest another method of maintaining the starter battery. Stu

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp

Stu,

Here is a pic of my EBL271 where Block-2 is the inputs from the solar reg (in my case a LR1218).

For reference:

Black is the +ve for the hab batteries.
Red is the +ve for the starter battery.
Brown is the -ve wire.

Hope this helps for reference purposes.

All the best,

Andrew

20180327_172318.jpg

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

Concur with Dave , for what you describe you only have a single channel solar regulator .. you need one with dual channels to feed the both engine and habitation batteries, connected to Block 2 to as shown in Andrew's post .

this model is 10A and would do the job .. but if panning to fit more panels 15 or 20A . https://www.sunshinesolar.co.uk/prodshow/Dual_Battery_Controller_10A___12V_24V/EDB10A.html

https://www.sunshinesolar.co.uk/catshow/Regulators_Controllers/Regulators.html

OP
OP
Q

QTECH

Free Member
Mar 22, 2017
Staffs
Funster No
MH
PVC White Rock
Exp
Thanks everyone. I’m now getting to the bottom of this. The regulator fitted by Pilote is only a single and the dealer and others assumed the EBL box sorted out the split to leisure and starter, I now believe this to be the wrong assumption, it does leisure only. Andrews picture clearly shows 3 wires and downloading the installation instructions for Lr 1218 explains all, ie cable colouring and connections. Many thanks again will up date when new regulator fitted. Stu

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Thanks everyone. I’m now getting to the bottom of this. The regulator fitted by Pilote is only a single and the dealer and others assumed the EBL box sorted out the split to leisure and starter, I now believe this to be the wrong assumption, it does leisure only. Andrews picture clearly shows 3 wires and downloading the installation instructions for Lr 1218 explains all, ie cable colouring and connections. Many thanks again will up date when new regulator fitted. Stu

Hi Stu,

One thing to note is be careful on what the dealer is telling you. The Pilote range does not come with factory fitted solar panels and regulators so it will be the dealer or a sub-contractor of the dealer who has fitted it to your van.

For ref my final pic of the day is of the LR1218 so that you can see how the leads enter and exit the reg.

All the best

Andrew

20180328_130903.jpg

OP
OP
Q

QTECH

Free Member
Mar 22, 2017
Staffs
Funster No
MH
PVC White Rock
Exp
Thanks Andrew, ordered a Lr 1218 yesterday, would have gone for a MPPT but you have to draw the line somewhere regards cost and quality. Have taken on board “ factory fitted “ you would like to think the dealer would know exactly what was installed. Many thanks again. Stu

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Thanks Andrew, ordered a Lr 1218 yesterday, would have gone for a MPPT but you have to draw the line somewhere regards cost and quality. Have taken on board “ factory fitted “ you would like to think the dealer would know exactly what was installed. Many thanks again. Stu

Stu,

I have just fitted an isolator switch on my +ve solar input wire. This allows me to switch off the juice to the LR1218 Reg.

The reason:

I was advised to change my Reg to either a Votronic MPPT 165 or an LRM1218 because I have wet/flooded batteries and therefore the float charge from these regs is much safer (lower) than the much higher float charge of the LR1218.

Apparently, if I was to keep the LR1218 continously connected then the higher float charge would eventually damage my flooded batteries. The LR1218 is better suited to AGMs from what I've been advised.

If we keep our van then I will dispose of the LR1218 for either of the two mentioned above, otherwise I'll just keep it with its new isolator fitted in situ until we PX in a few weeks.

All the best,

Andrew

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Apparently, if I was to keep the LR1218 continously connected then the higher float charge would eventually damage my flooded batteries. The LR1218 is better suited to AGMs from what I've been advised.

can I ask who advised you ?

I asked Udo Lang at Schaudt about this when installing mine.. I have 2 x 85ah Exide Gel

I asked

Hi Udo ....

I am installing an LR1218 regulator to my EBL 99.
Here is reply from an enquiry I made regarding the LR1218 from another company.. Would you be so kind to comment on the following.. is this true or not?

Reply form 'another' company :>>>>

Hello, We are advising people not to use the LR1218 because it the Maintenance/Float voltage is likely to destroy batteries if left connected long term. It is a designed to be an effective charger that should be disconnected when the battery is fully charged.

It 'floats' at 14.2v. Lots of evidence emerging that 13.2v is the ideal maintenance charge. 14.2v dries and shortens battery life

Dear James,

I would not worry about this.
The sun is not shining for 24hours, this is the first reason, why the charging limit of 14,2V does not create any trouble for any lead-acid battery.
For Gel battery types or AGM batteries, there is no trouble at all, because a mains charger will charge after reaching 14.4V (or for AGM 14,7V) 4 hours more with small current, until lowering the
voltage level to fload-charging with 13,8V.

The solar-charger will never ever reach any power like this.

Best Regards
Udo.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
can I ask who advised you ?

I asked Udo Lang at Schaudt about this when installing mine.. I have 2 x 85ah Exide Gel

I asked

Hi Udo ....

I am installing an LR1218 regulator to my EBL 99.
Here is reply from an enquiry I made regarding the LR1218 from another company.. Would you be so kind to comment on the following.. is this true or not?

Reply form 'another' company :>>>>

Hello, We are advising people not to use the LR1218 because it the Maintenance/Float voltage is likely to destroy batteries if left connected long term. It is a designed to be an effective charger that should be disconnected when the battery is fully charged.

It 'floats' at 14.2v. Lots of evidence emerging that 13.2v is the ideal maintenance charge. 14.2v dries and shortens battery life

Dear James,

I would not worry about this.
The sun is not shining for 24hours, this is the first reason, why the charging limit of 14,2V does not create any trouble for any lead-acid battery.
For Gel battery types or AGM batteries, there is no trouble at all, because a mains charger will charge after reaching 14.4V (or for AGM 14,7V) 4 hours more with small current, until lowering the
voltage level to fload-charging with 13,8V.

The solar-charger will never ever reach any power like this.

Best Regards
Udo.

I've seen that blue bit of yours before Jim. I was advised by A&N Caravans. The LR1218 seems to be good for AGM and Gels but not wets.

Cheers,

Andrew

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I was advised by A&N Caravans.

wouldn't put much faith in what they say . some of the suff about batteries on the website is definitely questionable..

anyway.. as fas as I'm concerned, if Udo says it's not a problem , just thought I'd post what he said

OP
OP
Q

QTECH

Free Member
Mar 22, 2017
Staffs
Funster No
MH
PVC White Rock
Exp