East Scotland anything there ? (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Are you serious???? Considering the diverse landscapes, agriculture, bird life, seascapes......and the sheer beauty of the country - are you rattling my tin?? :happy::happy: .....you are, aren't you :winky: ?
I'm talking about north of Dornoch on the East coast and the North hasn't got a massive amount going for it IMV, but the lower East coast, inland and the West coast has loads and loads of lovely things to see ... (y)

BrendaF

Free Member
Jun 29, 2017
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
Ford Amethyst 1996
Exp
Sorry - off topic - I see you're from E. Yorks, @Minxy. We loved Malton when we visited. Beautiful wee place. :smiley:

Euphony

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
3 years of weekending with the odd month here and there.
Next up is St Andrews where you can park by the beach and explore the town.

No you can't, height barriers in place. Motorhomes are not wanted in St Andrews. Try silver sands in Aberdour and stay overnight at Lochore Meadows for £10 a night, water and dump facilities. A great park to visit with golf, angling and great nature reserve.
http://www.lochoremeadows.org.uk
We took ours to St.Andrews last weekend and parked at the bay area (between the sea and The Old Course) lots of MH's and campervans and coaches in, free parking and no height restrictions. But you can't park overnight there, however there are a few campsites just outside of town.

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Hi we have just spent a week around Aberdour free parking by beach for small units but careful some vans have bottomed out there . There is an uper carpark may be a small charge for that . Leven is OK can park up top end by golf course during day but signs for no overnighting . But we saw vans there. Elie is lovely we wildcamped there at nigjt . Lovely walks to pub and village . Lovely Coastal paths
IMG_20170628_143853.jpg
IMG_20170628_143853.jpg
IMG_20170628_143853.jpg
we did st Andrews as well nice tiwn lots to see . But not much parking . We had our tow car so easier for us .

Attachments

• IMG_20170628_155702.jpg
    IMG_20170628_155702.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20170628_152719.jpg
    IMG_20170628_152719.jpg
    368.2 KB · Views: 6

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Sorry bout duplicating pics . They are taken on the coastal path at Elie .

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Hi we have just spent a week around Aberdour free parking by beach for small units but careful some vans have bottomed out there . There is an uper carpark may be a small charge for that . Leven is OK can park up top end by golf course during day but signs for no overnighting . But we saw vans there. Elie is lovely we wildcamped there at nigjt . Lovely walks to pub and village . Lovely Coastal paths View attachment 172168 View attachment 172168 View attachment 172168we did st Andrews as well nice tiwn lots to see . But not much parking . We had our tow car so easier for us .
We are in Leven now my home town parking on the opposite side whare the park is permitted on the road
Parked her for year's with no problems
We usually stay a few days around the aria
Met up with family and friends
Bill
1499197992448762620802.jpg

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
We are in Leven now my home town parking on the opposite side whare the park is permitted on the road
Parked her for year's with no problems
We usually stay a few days around the aria
Met up with family and friends
Bill
View attachment 172206
We were there last week Bill in same spot but only at day time . . We the enjoyed the town . We then went inti Elie

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Did you ever watch Monarch of the Glen on the TV. Glenboogle the castle and estate in the program is just 12 miles from Aberdeen. For fans of the program it makes a good day out. Not sure about any sites in the grounds.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Did you ever watch Monarch of the Glen on the TV. Glenboogle the castle and estate in the program is just 12 miles from Aberdeen. For fans of the program it makes a good day out. Not sure about any sites in the grounds.
There's not much to see of the filming locations.
I drilled a water well in the town a few years a go.
You will never get water that your dooooome a telyyye drilling in the bog
He was a dead ringer for Frazer out of dad's army
One of the best wells I ever drilled
Bil

alanawayfromhome

Free Member
Oct 19, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2010
The castle trail has already been mentioned, we did it last year, info from tourist board, good mix of building types well worth doing there are 20 castles in the trail some National Trust for Scotland, some Historic Scotland (or whatever its now called) and some private. One thing I would add to the posts already made is that at Dunotter Castle they welcome motorhomes and actually encouraged us to overnight in their car park.

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
A relative newbie...ex caravanner
As mentioned above the East Neuk of Fife is very nice, lots of sandy beaches etc. The new road bridge won't be open yet when you come. Deffo Anstruther for your fish and chips. Elie nice sandy cove, St Monance and Crail lovely too, views across to the Isle of May with the Bass Rock in the distance near North Berwick (other side of the Forth). If you're continuing up as far as John o groats then there is a nice CC site about 7 miles to the west right on the coast, the beach just over the dunes, views across the Pentland Firth across to Orkney. Nearest town for fuel, food etc is Thurso about another 6 or 7 miles further west
P1010065.jpg
Dunnet Bay.jpg
Dunnet Bay.jpg
Dunnet Bay.jpg
Dunnet Bay.jpg

Reactions: CWH

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
PS. Think I suffered from finger stutter on the beach pics! :rolleyes:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
If you go to Elie and are very, very lucky you might find Scottish Rubies (garnets) on the beach. Not the main beach but Ruby Bay beach.

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
If you go to Elie and are very, very lucky you might find Scottish Rubies (garnets) on the beach. Not the main beach but Ruby Bay beach.
If the tide's out you could get to watch a game of cricket on the sand too :cool:

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
You could always come inland a bit and explore the east side of the Cairngorms... great wild camping up Glenshee/Braemar way.

OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
I've got a rough idea of direction to go, up the east coast a way then cut in land to the cairngorm and up to Inverness find somewhere next to loch ness, then see from there. :nod: ?

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
I havn't seen it mentioned yet but if you are near Edinburgh when the Fringe is on, the kids (and yourselves) will love the free street theatre.
There is a THS near Dalkieth for the duration of the Fringe.

OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Planning on stopping for the night around halfway to Edinburgh Cheshire area . Does anyone know of a good CL site or other around there please ?

OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Scratch that, I found a good sounding CL just outside Chester ehu and other facilities only £16 beech farm. :)

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
Just back from Scotland and viewed the dolphins at Chanonry Point which is down Ness Road, Fortrose on the Moray Firth east of Inverness (IV10 8SD) best to time your visit to be there just after low tide. They come very close to shore.

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
Just back from Scotland and viewed the dolphins at Chanonry Point which is down Ness Road, Fortrose on the Moray Firth east of Inverness (IV10 8SD) best to time your visit to be there just after low tide. They come very close to shore.
Did you get any further north?

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
Did you get any further north?
We had a cottage at Ballachulish and we concentrated on the West Highlands and had planned to visit Fortrose to see the dolphins. We clocked up almost 1800 miles in 7 days, In the past we hired a cottage at Brora and toured all around the top from Dingwall to Ullapool. We're looking forward to getting a van early in the New Year which will save us from returning to base each day!(y)

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
We had a cottage at Ballachulish and we concentrated on the West Highlands and had planned to visit Fortrose to see the dolphins. We clocked up almost 1800 miles in 7 days, In the past we hired a cottage at Brora and toured all around the top from Dingwall to Ullapool. We're looking forward to getting a van early in the New Year which will save us from returning to base each day!(y)
Nice up there too. We were at Glen Nevis (recommend) then on to Loch Ness (no Nessie), back via Inverness to Peebles (home). Off to Ireland next Thursday, Cairnryan ferry to Larne, Giant's Causeway then follow the coast anti clockwise to Dublin ferry to Holyhead. Three week trip. Fingers x'd for the weather! :)

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
Off to Ireland next Thursday, Cairnryan ferry to Larne, Giant's Causeway then follow the coast anti clockwise to Dublin ferry to Holyhead. Three week trip. Fingers x'd for the weather! :)
Sounds like a great trip. Been over to Ireland 4 times during the late 70's and 80's at the height of the troubles. Once fishing in a match for Scotland and 3 times on fishing holidays. We fished in the border counties (bandit country as we were reminded in a pub!) The fishing was unbelievable and the people were so warm and friendly despite everything that was going on. Always wanted to go back and see the west coast but not yet managed to. It does rain a lot there so I'll keep my fingers x'd for you. Have a great trip(y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I love, love, LOVE Ireland ... been 3 times ... would go every year if I could!

OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Why are the ferry trips over there so expensive though ?
Would have liked if more time to get pembroke to roslaire ferry then after touring get ferry belfast to SW port in scotland and tour before similar route back but time is not available to do it justice yet, so road trip this time starting Thursday.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back