NE Scotland advice pls. (1 Viewer)

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Can you please share your knowledge of this area.
Specifically Aberdeen across to Newtonmore north to the Moray Firth and the north sea coast.
I have done a few searches and had some help for further south but if there are previous posts for the NE point me in the right direction.
Looking for places that really should not be missed and any good spots for an overnight.
We did have 2 weeks to do the area but the kids have put the mockers on that by announcing granddaughters christening so we will now only have time for the highlights.
Thanks if you can help.

roamingman

Banned
Mar 14, 2014
Angus
Funster No
MH
Coach build
Exp
2012, tents, caravan. 1990
Depends on what you like, there is the Castle trail or the Whisky trail, some lovely garden's about, some nice places for bird watching museums.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Just random ramblings!

You could go across to Black Isle and along to Chanonry Point to see the dolphins. There's a C&CC site at Rosemarkie and an independent site at Fortrose Boy, both walking distance to the point. There was a Rapido parked in the car park at the point when we were there over Easter Weekend. No overnighting though.

Other side of the narrows is Fort George with a sizeable tarmac car park. Couple of motorhomes there. Not sure on overnighting (probably not).

There's Portknockie with Bow Fiddle Rock. Parking on the local streets or down at the harbour but, again, no overnighting.

If you're wanting beach there's Roseisle Beach at Burghead and there's overnight motorhome parking for a bitty less than a tenner(?). Benches, tables, toilets, etc.

Numerous whisky distilleries with many of them having visitor tours.

There's Moray Motor Museum (fairly small but some nice cars). Think they own the diy outlet across the road and they let you park there but better check.

Dunnottar Castle, outside Stonehaven, (Microsoft had it as one of there desktop photos for XP) minimal parking. C&MC site in Stonehaven and there's some parking up at the harbour you could probably get your pvc into (but check!)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Huntly and the caravan park there are both quite nice. We used to live in Glenlivet, and all around that area is very scenic. The Strathspey Railway is good, if you're into that sort thing. The Highland Wildlife Park is excellent, again if that's your thing. Cairngorm and a ride on the funicular railway is good, and the Camping in the Forest site at Glenmore is one of our favourites, with excellent walking straight off the site.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Huntly and the caravan park there are both quite nice. We used to live in Glenlivet, and all around that area is very scenic. The Strathspey Railway is good, if you're into that sort thing. The Highland Wildlife Park is excellent, again if that's your thing. Cairngorm and a ride on the funicular railway is good, and the Camping in the Forest site at Glenmore is one of our favourites, with excellent walking straight off the site.
Agree with all of that. The Wildlife Park is definitely NOT my thing - I was expecting Scottish wildlife, not camels & zebras sharing an enclosure. If you're fit, then walk up Cairn Gorm (I couldn't count ten steps together by the time I was on the plateau, but I made it to the top & saw a family of ptarmigan); if not, then the railway's great fun. Glenmore campsite is a regular haunt, right on the shore of the loch. Again if you're fit, it's a lovely walk into Aviemore from here.

East of Inverness:

[1] Culloden, walking site to the battlefield if that's your thing
https://www.visitscotland.com/info/see-do/culloden-battlefield-and-visitor-centre-p247471
When we went, it was free to get into the shop & cafe, & to walk around the battlefield on your own (which is what we did). Pay for the cinema, interactive living history & tour.
http://www.nts.org.uk/Visit/Culloden

[2] Museum of Highland Life at Newtonmore is brilliant

[3] lovely village & beautiful bay at Findhorn

[4] Lossiemouth, "the jewel of Moray Firth"

[5] Elgin with ancient ruined cathedral known as "the lantern of the north"

faraway

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
Elgin Museum worth a look too. Findhorn as above is gorgeous. Brodie Castle.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we go for wildlife

love the gentle walks around Braemar and Grantown on Spey CC sites

saw my first and only crested tit at Loch of Garten

Lossiemouth looked good for massive sea views and free overnighting allowed near a café

my absolute favourite because of the 'nothingness' with walks, scenery wildlife, the top of the Findhorn Valley 15 miles or so west of Tomatin

:)(y)

Reactions: CWH
OP
OP
berni109
Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Thank you all for taking the time to reply.
A few suggestions there that i will be looking up in a bit more detail and 1 or 2 already on the list of possibles.
If you have any more little gems rather than the mass tourist places please let us know.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back