E P Levelling system - can we turn engine on? (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
AClass
Exp
4 years
Hi, we’re currently on a rally and could do with turning the engine on at some point to charge the battery BUT we have a self levelling system and himself doesn’t know if he can turn the engine on whilst the system is in use. We have an awning up and if the system decided to lower us, it would mess up the awning.
Does anyone know the answer/ had experience of this?

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
No the E&P system will NOT retract if you start and run your engine, it will only retract if you release the handbrake with the ignition on.

I have E&P levellers so I can speak for experience.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
E
Feb 19, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
AClass
Exp
4 years
Right, interesting (the last 2 replies).

‘Two on Tour’ - have you actually turned the engine on whilst the levellers are deployed? As in, have you actually tried it?

Reactions: DJT
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Thinking there must be different settings, mine wouldn’t , but the other replies are experienced users I am sure theirs must

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
No the E&P system will NOT retract if you start and run your engine, it will only retract if you release the handbrake with the ignition on.

I have E&P levellers so I can speak for experience.
Correct!
I frequently start the engine before retracting the jacks. Just make sure the handbrake is kept on.

Richard.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
We have EP levelling and the system will not operate unless the handbrake is on. You have to push the retract all jacks button no 8 to retract the jacks.
I would have a play with the system first though before you erect your awning.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Many people run the engine while putting the jacks down as they do consume a bit of power on the hydraulics. On mine, I drop the air from my air suspension and top the jacks with the engine running.

I can only retract if the engine ignition is on and the handbrake is on.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I can only retract if the engine ignition is on and the handbrake is on.
Not so on our.
Ignition on, no engine start and release the handbrake and the jacks will retract, try it. (y)

Edit : I have just checked this is the case so I do not get egg on my face. :giggle:

DJT

Jun 20, 2019
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Now Sold
Exp
You can start the engine and as long as you do not release the handbrake or active the remote control the jacks will not retract!!
Our system is E&P as fitted by S A P Doncaster.
Had the E&P system fitted on two vans for over six years and carried the manoeuvre out dozens of times👍👍
DJT

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
More importantly for the OP is that, unless you have a B2B fitted, you will have to run the engine for several hours to get enough charge into the batteries. The noise and fumes could seriously p**s off your neighbours.

BTW I also have the E&P system and the jacks retract when I release the handbrake, but not when I switch on the engine.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I think it depends on who installed the system, and how. Not all installations use the interlink and it could be connected to any combination of microswitches when it is.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
But do the other replies saying they do, either have E&P levellers or have tried it ?

yep, I was talking to one of them just now, we both have E&P, ours needs engine on to operate in conjunction with handbrake , his doesn’t and will retract on engine start

yours and mine are the same , it would appear not all are 👍

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hi, we’re currently on a rally and could do with turning the engine on at some point to charge the battery
You really do not want to do that, modern diesels do not get up to operating temperate running on tickover from starting. You risk damage to the engine, the DPF & CAT could be very expensive.
If you need to charge the batteries take it for a drive but to get any reasonable amount of charge in you will need to do at least a 100 miles unless you have a B2B.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
A
More importantly for the OP is that, unless you have a B2B fitted, you will have to run the engine for several hours to get enough charge into the batteries. The noise and fumes could seriously p**s off your neighbours.
And also damage caused to engine by starting cold engine to run at idle to use as a generator.!!!!

Edit.... Lenny HB nimble fingers got there before me 😃😃

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The simple answer is “it depends who fitted it” if it was Mick at SAP you will be able to run the engine and indeed must be running to operate, if it was say a factory MORELO install it would retract all jacks when the engine starts, and operates without the ignition on,

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
The simple answer is “it depends who fitted it” if it was Mick at SAP you will be able to run the engine and indeed must be running to operate, if it was say a factory MORELO install it would retract all jacks when the engine starts, and operates without the ignition on,

I can raise the jacks to level and retract the jacks on ours just with the ignition on, no need to have our engine running, and ours were fitted at S.A.P.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Meier in Germany must be one of the biggest installers doing all the chassis for MORELO and others, which is the safest? I don’t know.

Jul 11, 2019
Funster No
Our system, which was fitted by SAP (2019), will retract as soon as the starter is engaged. The difference with our system possibly is that we have an electric hand brake.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Both the jacks retracting with ignition being switch on or retracting on handbrake release are both preventing jacks being damaged through trying to drive off with the jacks extended, so not much to choose between them really.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back