Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Why though?
You HAVE to wear a crash helmet, you HAVE to be insured, you cannot use the miles of cycle paths, especially in The Netherlands and France.. add the costs associated with maintenance etc.. and you are disadvantaged.
Bike v Motorbike spat coming up....makes a change from. Bike verses car, taxi, bus. truck.
I ride both bike and motorbike so I'm on the fence on this one...🤔🥳🇪🇦👍

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Bike v Motorbike spat coming up....makes a change from. Bike verses car, taxi, bus. truck.
I ride both bike and motorbike so I'm on the fence on this one...🤔🥳🇪🇦👍
I ride both too.. but wouldn't want to cart a motorbike around.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I ride both too.. but wouldn't want to cart a motorbike around.
I've carried a 125 offroader in the past...but never with current MH...bikes are so much more versatile...anyway back to eBike Charging off grid....great topic....many do it, some have better results that others I read.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
planning one…
Assuming enough battery capacity:
Could this inverter charge this Shimano battery off grid?
Thanks
Ian
IMG_6861.png
IMG_6860.png
IMG_6861.png
IMG_6860.png

May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
I charge my 500 watt 36v Specialized battery using an 800 watt Victron inverter. Takes about three hours and seems to take about 40amps from my leisure battery. I’ve got a 280amp Fogstar lithium. Off grid in the sun I can get most of that back during the day from the solar panel.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
What's your bike charger amperage? My bike charger is 4 amp....
I guess it would be fine, but I prefer an inverter to be hot wired to my battery, not plugged into a cigarette type socket..
Might also have a fairly heavy drain in your battery...depending what you have....charging whilst driving through the inverter is an option...I will be doing that this morning...I've two bike batteries to charge for tomorrow..

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
planning one…
What's your bike charger amperage? My bike charger is 4 amp....
I guess it would be fine, but I prefer an inverter to be hot wired to my battery, not plugged into a cigarette type socket..
Might also have a fairly heavy drain in your battery...depending what you have....charging whilst driving through the inverter is an option...I will be doing that this morning...I've two bike batteries to charge for tomorrow..
I think it’s about 4a, 17ah charge in 6 hrs?
Only planning on using it when driving/emergency top up etc, as an experiment before I delve into the world of bigger batteries/panels etc.
It’s a SHIMANO BT E8036 battery - if that helps add more detail for folk.

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
I think it’s about 4a, 17ah charge in 6 hrs?
Only planning on using it when driving/emergency top up etc, as an experiment before I delve into the world of bigger batteries/panels etc.
It’s a SHIMANO BT E8036 battery - if that helps add more detail for folk.
i use one of those 300W inverters for my computer when not on EHU. Don't have an ebike so can't comment on that. But it works fine for the computer.
van only has the basic 100w solar panel but two 110 batteries.

Oct 14, 2018
Nantwich, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G781C Emotion
Exp
Caravanning over 30 years, Motorhoming 16 months
We charge ours via an inverter, realistically the batteries normally just need 20-30% top up, meaning "only" a draw of about 40ah in total, given that when we use the bikes the weather will normally be decent, the Solar will normally be producing enough to cope with the demand.
We used to charge ours while driving. The B2B coped with the inverter, the fridge and the leisure battery.

Nov 2, 2022
Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Eliseo C602
Exp
Since 2016
Is this a better option than using your inverter if it was hard wired to the leisure side but fused first
This is a generic charger. It has a too low charging rate to start with but anything like this does not have the correct feedback from the battery to the charger.

Dedicated chargers provided by the e-bike manufacturers have the necessary safety features. Using the original mains charger with a pure sine wave inverter is a much safer option.

May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
This is a generic charger. It has a too low charging rate to start with but anything like this does not have the correct feedback from the battery to the charger.

Dedicated chargers provided by the e-bike manufacturers have the necessary safety features. Using the original mains charger with a pure sine wave inverter is a much safer option.
Good valid point, my Specialized charger will replenish about 80% of the battery pretty quickly and then the charge rate it slows down quite noticeably for the remaining 20%.

Sep 19, 2019
Warwick, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-t
I have a Shimano eBike charger EC-E6002 100-240V 1.5A input, 42V 1.8A output.

I use a Victron Phoenix 375/12 and it probably uses about 1/3 of the available load according to the app.

JoeP Harrison

Free Member
Jul 16, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i562
Exp
A class
I just had this come in my inbox and thought it maybe if interest to somebody

We use an Ecoflow River2 Max, it can be charged through solar panel & while driving with mains hook up also possible. Depending on size it can fully charge 1/2 Ebike batteries off grid. Check it out on https://eu.ecoflow.com/pages/portable-power-stations

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
We use an Ecoflow River2 Max, it can be charged through solar panel & while driving with mains hook up also possible. Depending on size it can fully charge 1/2 Ebike batteries off grid. Check it out on https://eu.ecoflow.com/pages/portable-power-stations

I was about to mention the availability of these lithium portable power stations. Mine weighs 15Kg and is rated at 1,500 Wh. It is an ALLPOWERS one with built-in inverter providing 230v AC up to 2 KW (4KW peak). It could charge several e-bikes simultaneously with ease, and no draw on the MH's hab or starter batteries needed. I have found many uses for it, from charging my phone to running corded power tools away from the house.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I was about to mention the availability of these lithium portable power stations. Mine weighs 15Kg and is rated at 1,500 Wh. It is an ALLPOWERS one with built-in inverter providing 230v AC up to 2 KW (4KW peak). It could charge several e-bikes simultaneously with ease, and no draw on the MH's hab or starter batteries needed. I have found many uses for it, from charging my phone to running corded power tools away from the house.
Am I right in thinking these could be "Drop in pull out" Lithium habitation battery replacements ?

So when youre on holiday you could use this as your habitation battery (connected up to the solar) and when not on holiday use it round the garden ?

Jul 16, 2020
Hungerford, West Berks.
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Nuevo 04
Exp
30+ years
Charge 2 electric bikes from the inverter when driving to next fun outing. Engine charging keeps everything topped up nicely.
Have also charged when static without too much problem. Only have 130Ah battery and 110 Solar.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Am I right in thinking these could be "Drop in pull out" Lithium habitation battery replacements ?

So when youre on holiday you could use this as your habitation battery (connected up to the solar) and when not on holiday use it round the garden ?

Never thought about that. I had in mind using it as a back-up for the hab battery, because I don't have a solar panel on the roof. Folding 200W solar panels are available for off-grid charging. Maybe that extra kit takes up too much space in a small PVC.

Oct 25, 2016
Ashford
Funster No
MH
Frankia A 680
Exp
Since Oct 2016
Remember if you have a Bosch battery, loads of places in france now offer free charging when you get into towns and if you take your charger with you there are a number of places we have seen that you can lock up your bike and charge it for a returnable euro inside a box contraption.

Heres the Belgian ones. Adjust map to choose country. Pop in, drop your battery into the place (often TOs) come back with extra charge for free.

The Bosch charging stations appear to ONLY be in Belgium afaiks...?

I have found another link though, for charging your ebike in Provence:

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
The Bosch charging stations appear to ONLY be in Belgium afaiks...?

I have found another link though, for charging your ebike in Provence:

You have to look really carefully on the not so helpful website and you can change the country. The link I probably put up had Belgium in there I presume

Try this

1696177110276.png

A
1696177190138.png
nd you get this

Oct 25, 2016
Ashford
Funster No
MH
Frankia A 680
Exp
Since Oct 2016
You have to look really carefully on the not so helpful website and you can change the country. The link I probably put up had Belgium in there I presume

Try this

View attachment 816933

AView attachment 816935nd you get this
Okay, got it now thank you!! I originally put 'France' in 'enter your address' and got zero results. I didn't think to look at the filter...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back