Gman88667733

Free Member
Mar 13, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
My partner and I are hunting for a van to convert and ideally reclassify as a motorhome or motor caravan. I had my heart set on a low roof Citroen Relay, but have now seen that they require a high top? What exactly is the height they require? Also looking at medium roof Transits and a high top Vivaro... But not sure if the medium roof transit would be high enough. They are not very clear.
I have a quote for insurance for a camper conversion policy that requires it to be converted within 12 months. But I am not sure if I could insure it any other way if we did not reclassify it.

Thanks

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
There is no minimum height and I believe the maximum is 16ft.....as in HGV trailers.
An average motorhome height is 10ft.
DVLA require a motorhome to Look like a motorhome and not a van.... Min number of windows, decals, awning rail etc.
DVLA won't accept pop top roofs... IE: elevating roofs... in their new requirements.

• Informative
Reactions: f6c

Deleted User
The external appearance relates to what the vehicle looks like. If, in the eyes of the DVLA, it doesn't look like a campervan then the log book will not get changed to motor caravan but more likely changed to van with windows. It seems like pot luck as to wheteher or not your vehicle gets reclassified as there seems little or no difference between some vehicles that have been reclassified and those that have been turned down.
However, the DVLA do state that if the internal arrangements comply with their requirement then the vehicle can still be used as a campervan and have the benefits of campervan speed limits and ferry tolls.

With regard to your query about height it is hard to say what exactly is required from the DVLA guidelines but the vehicles that have been reclassified as a Motor Caravan are typicall H2 Relays and their equivalent.

There are some companies that don't put any time scale on the conversion work and are happy to insure the vehicle until the work is finished.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
There is no minimum height and I believe the maximum is 16ft.....as in HGV trailers.
An average motorhome height is 10ft.
DVLA require a motorhome to Look like a motorhome and not a van.... Min number of windows, decals, awning rail etc.
DVLA won't accept pop top roofs... IE: elevating roofs... in their new requirements.
No height limit in Uk other then for a double deck bus in which case it is (a very memorable) 4.57 metres. Minimum height for an unmarked bridge however is 5 metres (16 ft 6) which is probably more important in practice

OP
OP
G

Gman88667733

Free Member
Mar 13, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
So I don't need to base my van purchase on that alone then?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
But I am not sure if I could insure it any other way if we did not reclassify it.
You can insure it as a panel van.....but it would only cover the van.
Anything inside, fixtures and fittings etc, would NOT be covered unless you also took out a 'goods in transit' policy.

OP
OP
G

Gman88667733

Free Member
Mar 13, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
I spoke to Brentacre insurance and they said the could insure a van as a modified van (with windows) and all the internal modifications that a camper would have would be allowed at no extra charge. This could be a way around it?

OP
OP
G

Gman88667733

Free Member
Mar 13, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Ideally I'd want the highest roof we could get anyway, but I also really like the width of the Citroen Relay.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
God knows Minxy. ??‍♀️
It’s all changed since Ralph did Pug. Lots of things you have to have to call a conversion a motorhome. I don’t think there even had to be a height requirement when we did ours.
So can’t help. Other than give you a link to the thread to Pugs build.

You may be able to get a bit of help/advice off it Gman88667733
P.s that’s a right mouthful for a user name ?
Good luck with your build.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
God knows Minxy. ??‍♀️
It’s all changed since Ralph did Pug. Lots of things you have to have to call a conversion a motorhome. I don’t think there even had to be a height requirement when we did ours.
I was thinking more along the lines of your experience with insurance! :giggle:

Deleted User
I spoke to Brentacre insurance and they said the could insure a van as a modified van (with windows) and all the internal modifications that a camper would have would be allowed at no extra charge. This could be a way around it?
Several companies wiil offer you a similar policy, Adrian Flux is one that don't seem to care how long it takes to finish the conversion.

Deleted User
You can insure it as a panel van.....but it would only cover the van.
Anything inside, fixtures and fittings etc, would NOT be covered unless you also took out a 'goods in transit' policy.
If the internal is modified to dvla guidelians then it can be used and insured as a campervan.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back