DVLA procratination and delays (1 Viewer)

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
I used the terms "professional" and "leisure use" to denote the difference in the renewal regime. Professionals (ie. those who need the C1/C licence for hire and reward and monetary gain) have to renew every year, wereas someone wanting to retain C1 rights after age 70 for leisure use, only needs the medical and renewal every three years.

A good differentiation @John & Joan and as I understood it.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I used the terms "professional" and "leisure use" to denote the difference in the renewal regime. Professionals (ie. those who need the C1/C licence for hire and reward and monetary gain) have to renew every year, wereas someone wanting to retain C1 rights after age 70 for leisure use, only needs the medical and renewal every three years.
Would there be something on the licences to denote this? As far as I knew it was a C1 (or whatever such as C or D) and not different for leisure. I'm not doubting but how could they tell if you're using your license for money or pleasure?

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Would there be something on the licences to denote this? As far as I knew it was a C1 (or whatever such as C or D) and not different for leisure. I'm not doubting but how could they tell if you're using your license for money or pleasure?
Next to my D1 (minibus) on mine I have code 101, which is the restriction not for hire or reward. I think though that for category C and C1 you've either got it or you haven't and restriction 101 wouldn't be applied.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Next to my D1 (minibus) on mine I have code 101, which is the restriction not for hire or reward. I think though that for category C and C1 you've either got it or you haven't and restriction 101 wouldn't be applied.
Thank you very much @Stroppy Bird. Strange thing is I've got 101 next to my D1 yet nothing next to my D category. So does that mean I can drive a full PCV vehicle professionally but a mini bus only for leisure (non hire and reward)?
None of the other categories have 101 next to them. Weird that.

OP
OP
John & Joan

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Driving licence code are here https://www.gov.uk/driving-licence-codes

79 - restricted to vehicles in conformity with the specifications stated in brackets on your licence
96 - allowed to drive a vehicle and trailer where the trailer weighs at least 750kg, and the combined weight of the vehicle and trailer is between 3,500kg and 4,250kg
97 - not allowed to drive category C1 vehicles which are required to have a tachograph fitted
101 - not for hire or reward (that is, not to make a profit) (that includes earning money)

Category C1
You can drive vehicles between 3,500 and 7,500kg MAM (with a trailer up to 750kg).

Category C1E
You can drive C1 category vehicles with a trailer over 750kg.
The combined MAM of both can’t exceed 12,000kg.

Although I have (had) grandfathers rights to C1E by putting code 79 and in brackets 8259kg my licence is restricted. A professional driver would not have this restriction and DVLA would require the licence to be renewed annually.
Eyesight requirements are also different for older licence holders:
A driver must have been awarded a Group 2 bus and lorry licence before 1 March 1992, and be able to complete a satisfactory certificate of experience, to be eligible.
If the licence was awarded between 2 March 1992 and 31 December 1996, visual acuity with corrective lenses if needed must be at least 6/9 in the better eye and at least 6/12 in the other eye; uncorrected visual acuity may be worse than 3/60 in one eye only.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I have contacted their enquiries twice and been fobbed off each time. First was October 2016. Then January 2017

All their enquiries were completed in July/August but the still issued the following excuse.

"I can confirm that the information we have received is still with the relevant team waiting to be reviewed as this time due to the current workload within the department.
I understand you have been waiting for some time already so can only assure you that we will complete our enquiries as soon as we can.
We will then write out to you once your medical information has been considered.
There is no need to contact us in the meantime unless you have any new information for us to consider
."

The Echo Scan test came back "Satisfactory - No further Action" before I submitted the application but the doctor had put his suspicion of a murmur on the form and caused all the problems. They asked for a copy of the scan result in June. Returned to them in July. This was confirmed by my doctor.

Please make an official complaint and contact your MP. This sort of delay is unacceptable and can cause considerable hardship.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
My GP has quoted me ÂŁ177 for my DVLA medical, bumped into another local GP at our dog club last night and he said he usually charges ÂŁ90 but he told me he would do mine free, thats a result !!!

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Just booked a free eye test I presume a normal prescription is good enough for the form

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Just booked a free eye test I presume a normal prescription is good enough for the form
Well I went to my optician and they gave me my prescription. Doctor glanced at it and did the normal eye test with the reducing letter to 4th row.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Well would you believe it! Guess what turned up today, the full licence with the C1, no explanation, no apology. It must be as a result of our complaint but it shouldn't be like that.
How about you @John & Joan ?

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
My GP has quoted me ÂŁ177 for my DVLA medical, bumped into another local GP at our dog club last night and he said he usually charges ÂŁ90 but he told me he would do mine free, thats a result !!!
I paid ÂŁ40 at a local health clinic and he filled the forms in for me,,10 days later a new license,,BUSBY.

OP
OP
John & Joan

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I will be eagerly watch the post now. Nothing Friday. They did say allow 10 days for complaint to be dealt with.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
So the good news is C1 on licence, the bad news licence as a whole expires March 21 2018 so they have given it for a year from now.
I cannot find anything on DVLA website that says when you renew at 70 it is just for one year, it says must renew every three years.
Can anyone shed light on this?
If it takes a year to get it and it lasts a year, we had better reapply now.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
@Riverbankannie sorry to hear about your disappointment. Unfortunately they have the right to limit the time your licence is valid. I believe they do this if they think your health may deteriorate and you may no longer be fit to drive in their opinion. You are therefore forced to reapply and get retested. Of course they may consider you forced their hand and that is their way of punishing you for doing so. They always have the upper hand.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp

If it is for the C1 then there is a medical form to be filled in. The first page (or maybe two pages) the optician fills in, stamps and signs and dates. I don't think the normal prescription form is enough - but might be wrong. I was charged (ÂŁ12 I think) for filling the form in even though a normal eye test is free.

The GP charged ÂŁ80 but was really good, not my normal GP and she spent over 30 minutes doing extra tests just in case the DVLA wanted more information. She did forget to date the form though :( I did that bit when I realised.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
@Riverbankannie sorry to hear about your disappointment. Unfortunately they have the right to limit the time your licence is valid. I believe they do this if they think your health may deteriorate and you may no longer be fit to drive in their opinion. You are therefore forced to reapply and get retested. Of course they may consider you forced their hand and that is their way of punishing you for doing so. They always have the upper hand.

They didn't limit my time and I made a right stink..... actually I was expecting a refusal because I made such a fuss. The licence is wrong but it covers what I need and want to do so I'm keeping quiet for the moment.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I passed my driving bike test in 1981 and my car test in 1983 and have the following categories (not sure why the letters are repeated, ie AA, BB):

AA: Motorcycles
BB: Basic car licence
C1: Vehicles with a MAM of between 3.5 tonnes and 7.5 tonnes
D1 (restriction 1 applies): Passenger carrying vehicles
F, K, L, N and P​

Trying to convert the above into the new categories isn't the easiest though!

http://www.keydrive.co.uk/portals/0/pdfs/driving_licence_entitlement.pdf

Old Style Licences Licences pre 1997, on the old style paper licence, (pink and green), there are eight distinct main categories (excluding tractors and road rollers.) which were A, B, B1, C, C1, D, D1 and E. The first category A covers motor cycles while B is the basic car licence including vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes, while B1 was for tricycles and small cars. C is the category for heavy vehicles over 3.5 tonnes while C1 restricted drivers to a vehicle with a MAM of between 3.5 tonnes and 7.5 tonnes. D and D1 referred to passenger carrying vehicles. But E referred to trailers and was never a stand alone category as trailers were not motor vehicles.

All car drivers who passed their test on or before 31st December 1997 retain their existing entitlement to tow trailers until their licence expires. This means they are generally entitled to drive a vehicle and trailer combination up to 8.25 tonnes maximum authorised mass. They also have entitlement to drive a minibus with a trailer over 750kgs maximum authorised mass.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well when they restrict a licence's term of validity for medical reasons (like me. always 3 years, cos I'm on insulin) they tell you upfront in their rules that they may restrict it to 1, 2 or 3 years. So you need to check what the rules are for your medical conditions - and if you haven't got any that they say they can do that with - then they shouldn't.

However - why can you not simply ask them where they explain the reasons for this, in your particular case, to you?

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Nothing to do with this but have any of you looked at the theory test that you have to pass as part of your driving test? If you want a laugh go on line
and take a sample exam,,,,If any one ever struggles with it they should not be allowed out without a minder..If that is the standard required its no wonder driving standards are so low,,,RANT OVER,,, Wish we had multiple choice exams when we were young,,BUSBY:D2:D2

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
@Minxy Girl
100% first time (y). Quite pleased as I have been driving for only 54 years. Was pleased to see they expect knowledge of hand signals but surprised they did not ask about the others I see used :LOL:.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
After I posted the link I tried to do it ... twice ... and failed! :Eeek:

... because the ruddy site kept having problems and freezing ... I got over half way through each time :mad:

... I decided it was telling me it was time for bed! :rolleyes:

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I did the car test version, and got 100% - or would have done had I not clicked the wrong box when I know first warning at a level crossing is the 2 x flashing red lights.

I was surprised there was so little on road signs but Qs on First Aid and the environment. Very different from 1960

I suppose anyone taking a C1 test has to do the lorry one, or is that only for over 7.5t - anyone know?

Geoff

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
I did the car test version, and got 100% - or would have done had I not clicked the wrong box when I know first warning at a level crossing is the 2 x flashing red lights.

I was surprised there was so little on road signs but Qs on First Aid and the environment. Very different from 1960

I suppose anyone taking a C1 test has to do the lorry one, or is that only for over 7.5t - anyone know?

Geoff

Easy with multiple choice isn't it,,,BUSBY,,

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Thank you very much @Stroppy Bird. Strange thing is I've got 101 next to my D1 yet nothing next to my D category. So does that mean I can drive a full PCV vehicle professionally but a mini bus only for leisure (non hire and reward)?
None of the other categories have 101 next to them. Weird that.
yes.

So nothing to lose by annoying them & applying now with the reason " you take a year to process so I thought I get a head start "

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Bit of a bugger then as I get paid to drive a mini buses.
download (4).jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back