DVLA procratination and delays (1 Viewer)

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
For anyone who had experienced delays with DVLA here is the Formal Complaints website
https://www.gov.uk/government/organ...e-licensing-agency/about/complaints-procedure The initial email link no longer works but directs you to the online system with a multitude of options when you click on them.

You can complain if your licence has taken more than 8 weeks to process. Mine so far is 11 months @Riverbankannie is the same. How many more of us are there?

The second stage complain takes it direct to the Chief Executive officer. There are then two further stages if you are not satisfied.

Last edited:
OP
OP
John & Joan

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
@Dorset Diver I have today submitted a formal complaint. My complaint is about the renewal timescale of my C1 licence but any activity of DVLA can be complained about. Don't leave it as long as @Riverbankannie and I. DVLA enquiries have been fobbing us off for too long now.

John

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
@John & Joan

Hi,

I have my Treadmill test on Thursday. If I pass I believe they have eight weeks to respond. However, I understand that others who have complained have just had their applications refused out of hand by the DVLA just being spiteful because they dared to complain. Not nice :(.

OP
OP
John & Joan

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I will see what happens as I will take it to the top as the test proved the initial doctors suspicions wrong. If they refuse me why have they allowed me to continue driving for 10 months. They have had all of the info since July 2016 and taken no action.

Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I went via my MP who threatened to escalate to the ombudsman.

https://www.ombudsman.org.uk/making-complaint

The complaint has to go via your MP but you may need to tell him or her that is the way you want to go. Once the threat had been made the DVLA do sit up and take notice. In my case I got a result within the week.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
I had to wait 2 months last year. They said checking medical records. I am wondering how long this year. Medical on Wednesday.

OP
OP
John & Joan

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I went via my MP who threatened to escalate to the ombudsman.

https://www.ombudsman.org.uk/making-complaint

The complaint has to go via your MP but you may need to tell him or her that is the way you want to go. Once the threat had been made the DVLA do sit up and take notice. In my case I got a result within the week.
They have 3 stages of complaint before you can get the MP to take it to the ombudsman. I have done No.1 No.2 is to the CEO. No.3 is to an appeal and No.4 MP takes it to ombudsman.

OP
OP
John & Joan

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I had to wait 2 months last year. They said checking medical records. I am wondering how long this year. Medical on Wednesday.
Are you referring to a C licence (professional Driver) where the medical is yearly. I am referring to C1 which is leisure use and 3 yearly.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.

I was told it would be a year before they even looked at it - and then they might need more tests or the tests that had been done repeated as by that time they wouldbe out of date. After that if it had to go to a medical board, well the board only met every six months. That is when I escalated things.

That was because my licence had been completely revoked because of a medical issue and I was re-applying after the six months without further issues and successful treatment.

They have 3 stages of complaint before you can get the MP to take it to the ombudsman. I have done No.1 No.2 is to the CEO. No.3 is to an appeal and No.4 MP takes it to ombudsman.

Yes, I should have made that clear. You need to jump through their hoops first.

OP
OP
John & Joan

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I have contacted their enquiries twice and been fobbed off each time. First was October 2016. Then January 2017

All their enquiries were completed in July/August but the still issued the following excuse.

"I can confirm that the information we have received is still with the relevant team waiting to be reviewed as this time due to the current workload within the department.
I understand you have been waiting for some time already so can only assure you that we will complete our enquiries as soon as we can.
We will then write out to you once your medical information has been considered.
There is no need to contact us in the meantime unless you have any new information for us to consider
."

The Echo Scan test came back "Satisfactory - No further Action" before I submitted the application but the doctor had put his suspicion of a murmur on the form and caused all the problems. They asked for a copy of the scan result in June. Returned to them in July. This was confirmed by my doctor.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
Sorry @John & Joan . Yes I have a hgv licence. So I have a yearly medical. I no longer drive hgv. but want to keep my licence. Just in case. LOl.

Oct 6, 2016
norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I'm 68 this coming April 14th.
If I'm lucky enough to still be sucking in and blowing out come 2 years time, at what point do I have to apply to retain my C1 license,?

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
At 70 years. @bigguspeckus . Just for leisure it will last 3 years. Hgv I year. If you want a medical go to doctor on wheels. They are much cheaper than your doctor.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We have had a reply from the complaints team who have picked up our email to Oliver Morley which is what I thought would happen to it. They say they will respond in 10 days so I guess in same inbox now as the one from @John & Joan.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I used D4medicals. £50.00 all in and they are there to suit you particularly weekend. I went on a Sunday, posted that night. Licence renewed and back on Thursday.
That was HGV.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
As others, sent off my C renewal last Monday and received back today Monday. That's the fastest it's ever been, 7 days. Last year it was 58 days the year before that 8 days, before that 27 days.. So, the time seems to swing like a pendulum.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
If the renewal can be done online with no human intervention then DVLA seems to work well.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
All these licence woes
Glad I never bothered with one:rolleyes:

Typical SpannerTypePerson, at least I have one even if it was a free gift, in a Corn Flakes packet. :)

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
If the renewal can be done online with no human intervention then DVLA seems to work well.
In all fairness, mine was all manual and nothing on line and the DVLA couldn't have got it before Tuesday and I had it back on Thursday. However, I do know there are horror stories but, in my case, a good applause and as I said, it was a HGV medical renewal at 65

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
It has been stated a couple of times in threads above that a C1 Licince is for 'Leisure' and a C Licence for 'Professional'.

This is not correct. The difference is weight; C1 being up to 7.5t and on which I drove professionally and for the Government courier service, so my licence was checked. C licence is needed above 7.5t, even if one were driving a MH for leisure.

Nothing on licences designates Leisure nor Professional - just look at your licences.

Geoff

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
At 70 years. @bigguspeckus . Just for leisure it will last 3 years. Hgv I year. If you want a medical go to doctor on wheels. They are much cheaper than your doctor.

Get the doctor to fill your forms in,,worked for me 10 day turnaround Well done DVLA,,,BUSBY,,

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
It has been stated a couple of times in threads above that a C1 Licince is for 'Leisure' and a C Licence for 'Professional'.

This is not correct. The difference is weight; C1 being up to 7.5t and on which I drove professionally and for the Government courier service, so my licence was checked. C licence is needed above 7.5t, even if one were driving a MH for leisure.

Nothing on licences designates Leisure nor Professional - just look at your licences.

Geoff
Can't disagree with that and whatever job any one is doing, they feel prefixing with professional makes it appear better. The difference between professional and amateur is that a professional gets paid for doing that job. As in photographers. Lots of 'amatuer' photographers far outdo professionals because it's their pastime/hobby/recreation and does it because they want to whereas the 'professional' may want to do it but charges.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
A good day. My Echo Cardiogram was excellent, and I passed the Treadmill (stress) Test. So if DVLA accept the word of the Consultant they chose for me to see I should get my C1 extension. A really good, slightly delayed, 70th birthday present (y). Consultant promised he would send DVLA the results tomorrow. I now wonder how long I will have to wait for my licence especially as we want to head across the channel a.s.a.p.

OP
OP
John & Joan

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Can't disagree with that and whatever job any one is doing, they feel prefixing with professional makes it appear better. The difference between professional and amateur is that a professional gets paid for doing that job. As in photographers. Lots of 'amatuer' photographers far outdo professionals because it's their pastime/hobby/recreation and does it because they want to whereas the 'professional' may want to do it but charges.
I used the terms "professional" and "leisure use" to denote the difference in the renewal regime. Professionals (ie. those who need the C1/C licence for hire and reward and monetary gain) have to renew every year, wereas someone wanting to retain C1 rights after age 70 for leisure use, only needs the medical and renewal every three years.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back