DVLA possible of another strike! (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
It seems like the DVLA (their unions) are asking staff about ANOTHER strike!!!!! I thought they were strike every day! Still I have only been waiting for my licence since January 2022!,!!!!!!!!!!!!

colyboy

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Not political. I was wondering with all these threatened strikes in the public sector, does the person on strike still receive their wages. Not sure if any fellow members will remember the lorry drivers strike back in the 70's I was working/on strike in the private sector and we didn't receive a penny from the employer, and only a pittance from the union.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Not political. I was wondering with all these threatened strikes in the public sector, does the person on strike still receive their wages. Not sure if any fellow members will remember the lorry drivers strike back in the 70's I was working/on strike in the private sector and we didn't receive a penny from the employer, and only a pittance from the union.

Seems reasonable. It certainly works that way in self-employment !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
It seems like the DVLA (their unions) are asking staff about ANOTHER strike!!!!! I thought they were strike every day! Still I have only been waiting for my licence since January 2022!,!!!!!!!!!!!!

colyboy
Oh dear. OH had the same experience. Doesn't augur well for mine being returned in time for an overseas trip in 2023

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Your daughter has had a pay cut, Hancocks sister had millions.
The whole country is suffering cuts. That’s life these days. Can’t simply jack up wages to compensate. That would only make inflation worse.
We all have to ride out this storm and we don’t need bolshie opportunistic unions stirring the pot.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
As far as I can make out the public sector unions are asking for pay rises similar to those that are being paid in some private sector enterprises. The NHS is having trouble recruiting and retaining staff and that is going to get worse if they get left further behind.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
As far as I can make out the public sector unions are asking for pay rises similar to those that are being paid in some private sector enterprises. The NHS is having trouble recruiting and retaining staff and that is going to get worse if they get left further behind.
Private industries have to earn their monies. Public services are given it and then squander it. If they want higher wages then sack a load of management consultants and divert the funds to the front lines.

DVLA workers have been milking the covid situation every since and are getting lazy and inefficient. I don’t begrudge nurses and junior doctors at all but the spiral has to be stopped at some point.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
If they want higher wages then sack a load of management consultants and divert the funds to the front lines.
The front line workers are not the ones who employ the management consultants and they might well agree with you. Their only choice is to leave and work elsewhere.
I don’t begrudge nurses and junior doctors at all but the spiral has to be stopped at some point.
Stopping the spiral seems to have already broken the NHS. We have fewer beds, fewer doctors and fewer nurses than most developed countries.
FE6A5426-6039-4327-80BE-CC049908EFF1.jpeg

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
The front line workers are not the ones who employ the management consultants and they might well agree with you. Their only choice is to leave and work elsewhere.

Stopping the spiral seems to have already broken the NHS. We have fewer beds, fewer doctors and fewer nurses than most developed countries.
View attachment 693092
Those figures are completely wrong They are the amounts per 1000 inhabitants - Spain has 351 beds per 100,000 of population .
**158,292 beds. 45 million population= 350 ish beds
Germany has 800beds/100k

**Datos actualizados el 27 de abril de 2022

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Those figures are completely wrong They are the amounts per 1000 inhabitants
The OECD says the figures are for 100,000 not 1,000. Either way both Spain and the UK seem to be well below the average.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
The front line workers are not the ones who employ the management consultants and they might well agree with you.
Indeed, it's because the senior managers who are paid handsomely for their claimed experience and skills who are out of their depth and therefore have to employ consultants to fill in for their own incompetence.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
The whole country is suffering cuts. That’s life these days. Can’t simply jack up wages to compensate. That would only make inflation worse.
We all have to ride out this storm and we don’t need bolshie opportunistic unions stirring the pot.

Apart from the shortages of nurses the pay the staff get has been falling in real terms before this current crisis. If my wages were falling I think I would take industrial action as well.

1669935763549.png

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Private industries have to earn their monies. Public services are given it and then squander it. If they want higher wages then sack a load of management consultants and divert the funds to the front lines.

DVLA workers have been milking the covid situation ever since and are getting lazy and inefficient. I don’t begrudge nurses and junior doctors at all but the spiral has to be stopped at some point.
How do nurses pay for rent increases, increases in gas electric and fuel for their vehicles which they also have to pay to park when they arrive at work on declining pay……just asking…..

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I agree, negotiation is a better alternative. Why are the sides not negotiating?
Just to say without getting political, companies and unions do negotiate but what happens when pay and conditions are eroded an organisation wants staff to take less pay relative to last year and the year before and the year before that, are workers just expected to have less and less take home pay?

I have worked in an industry where remuneration had good benefits and pension. Now the younger generation are expected to do the same role at 1/3 less pay none of the benefits and an optional pension which most can’t afford as they have mortgages or rents along with university debts and that is in a unionised organisation.

Many of us in this forum have had good salaries and pensions.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
How do nurses pay for rent increases, increases in gas electric and fuel for their vehicles which they also have to pay to park when they arrive at work on declining pay……just asking…..

Maybe the same as those in the private sector, with difficulty.

My wages have gone down, not because of inflation, just decreased.

I’m also having to travel further so costing more in fuel.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Same as everyone else.
No that is not correct, not everyone’s pay has been going backwards for the past 12 years like those in the nhs.

But if you feel it’s ok for companies to drive people in to poverty whilst working 40 hours a week and not have the right for industrial action I accept that is your view.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back