DVLA (again) - licence renewal (1 Viewer)

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Sent it off exactly three months before it was due to expire, but probably it took them so long to process it it was probably less than 56 days till it ran out. Obviously there was no check on the date when it was filled in. The reply I got today was from when I queried this and where is my licence, it was originally sent of 21 st of June returned to me new photo enclosed and posted 12 of September. Still no licence. Offered to do some volunteer driving but as my licence has now expired even under section 88 allowing me to continue driving, I cannot produce a current licence for to be put on the insurance.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Have emailed Grant Shapps again today but still not had any reply from the last one.

Sep 22, 2009
nottingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
Well the new license arrived today, complete with C1. Unfortunately same day that I have had an operation on my foot so will not be able to drive for a few weeks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
What I fail to understand is why you can renew your licence at 70 without the C1 entitlement using your passport details and they copy the passport photo. But when you require the C1 entitlement you have to send a photo. Admittedly my photo on my licence was ten years old at expiry, I thought they could use my passport one in only 6 years old.
I agree, that does seem strange. Why does it make a difference where the photo comes from, dependent on whether you plan to retain your C1 or not?

Is DVLA making deliberate extra administrative hoops, in addition to the perhaps more understandable medical requirement? :unsure:

Sep 22, 2009
nottingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
When they requested a new photo, also said needs a payment of £17.00. My reading was that it should be free. Not wanting to risk holding it back I enclosed a cheque. Have today received a cheque back from them. All parts of life's rich tapestry

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Having finally got through after 55 minutes of we know you are waiting etc. to be fair spoke to a very helpful gentleman who made some enquiries whilst I waited. Turns out the minor TIA I had in 2006 with no reoccurrence or prescribed medication and declared on my last C1 application in 2018 warrants further medical investigation. He was unable to expand on this or give a time scale. When I got the forms I posted off in June and were returned to me with a letter saying the could not process my licence without a photo, and not to worry about the red ink scribbles on the forms thats just from them checking everything. So who knows how long it will take now.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
My C1 license extension application was processed within a month as detailed in post 15. I’m fortunate in that I have no medical issues, furthermore as I felt the photo requirement was ambiguous I sent one with the application. So in my opinion at renewal, chuck a snap in with your application.
Interesting ..... exactly the same with mine back in the spring. Sent D2 and D4 in on 3 May with a photo (they said I had to have one) by signed for delivery. It came back on 28 May with all the details correct.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I'm still waiting , applied 5 months ago a month ago they required another eyesight form which meant I had to pay for another test as I'd already had my free one. Now the want an echocardiagram for which they will pay but don't know when I will actually get an appointment to have it done. Perhaps I should downsize and just renew on line, but my present motorhome suits us.

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
I am now 9 months into this process, licence expired end of May.
I need C1, and have mild type 2 diabetes
D2 / D4 sent off fully completed. Both GP and Optician said no issues
Second eyesight test with "their" specified opticians (Specsavers, mine was with Boots) told me no problems
Second medical required with GP, again found no issues
Then had a letter from DVLA wanting a medical with a diabetic consultant, as in their words "Any report from a GP is not acceptable"
Medical with a diabetic consultant, who also said no issues, and could not understand why i had been sent to him !!
Have spoken to someone at DVLA, and asked when i can expect licence to be issued as no-one has any issues with me, was told that their panel now need to assess the data received and they make the decision. I asked "What medical qualifications do these people on the panel have"
Answer NONE, they assess the data and base their decision on that
What a farce, you could not make it up.

Just a thought, are there any Funsters who work at DVLA ?, I would be interested to hear their views on the current situation there
Joe

May 21, 2021
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper
Exp
Since 1986
I’ve just reinstated my C1+E, When my license was due for renewal I couldn’t get a medical due to covid so I dropped my entitlement as an online application for a standard licence was only 7 days, but unbeknown to me there was a period of grace to renew the C1, Sent off my old license with form D2, D4 and the medical form in mid November, Fully expecting not to see it returned until sometime in the new year after hearing all the horror stories about delays, to my surprise it arrived today, 4 weeks nearly to the day, and it had all my entitlements correct.
Someone at the DVLA must love me😍

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
Sheree had to renew her license and sent everything off in plenty of time. Her employer received a fax late Friday afternoon saying that her license had expired and she was unable to drive. She eventually got through to delay this morning and found out they've lost her paperwork!!!!
New paperwork has been sorted and section88 issued. We ain't impressed.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Having finally got through after 55 minutes of we know you are waiting etc. to be fair spoke to a very helpful gentleman who made some enquiries whilst I waited. Turns out the minor TIA I had in 2006 with no reoccurrence or prescribed medication and declared on my last C1 application in 2018 warrants further medical investigation. He was unable to expand on this or give a time scale. When I got the forms I posted off in June and were returned to me with a letter saying the could not process my licence without a photo, and not to worry about the red ink scribbles on the forms thats just from them checking everything. So who knows how long it will take now.
how can something that occurred 15 years ago & wasn't considered a problem 3 years ago be classed as "needing further investigation " now when there is no medical reason for it?
Just a thought, are there any Funsters who work at DVLA ?, I would be interested to hear their views on the current situation there
Joe
You'll be lucky. It is like here, Telefonica employ around 30,000 but you will never find anyone who will admit to working for them even when you know they do:laughing:

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
how can something that occurred 15 years ago & wasn't considered a problem 3 years ago be classed as "needing further investigation " now when there is no medical reason for it?
It's to do with age I'm afraid ,73 years.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back