DVLA (again) - licence renewal (1 Viewer)

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
The DVLA appears to be an organisation of two parts.

Anything requiring documents to be sent for processing can take months and often appear to get lost in a horrible black hole.

But for online processing - wow!

Late on Thursday night Mrs mikebeaches decided to renew her driving licence online, ready for turning 70 in the New Year. The new photo-card licence arrived here before 9.30 am today!!

She was requested to cut up her old paper licence and post it to DVLA, which she did on Friday - they obviously didn't bother to wait for it before issuing the new licence. Oh and there was no need for her to submit a photo, because they just accessed her image from the Passport Office.

Now, as many on here will know, the price of renewing online at 70 is that the C1 entitlement is lost. But with regular travel abroad we can't afford the potentially months of waiting for the paper submission with medical details to be processed. And, like me, she doesn't feel the need to maintain her C1 entitlement. She's perfectly happy driving the van, but as it's plated at 3,500 kg, all is fine.

We've both accepted that any desire to hang on to our C1 entitlement was mostly sentimental, because we can't envisage circumstances where we might need it. But if either of us had a particular requirement, we understand it can be applied for retrospectively, albeit then needing to be renewed annually instead of every 3 years - I learned on here the other day!

So in summary, disappointed DVLA prejudices applicants wanting to maintain C1 entitlement at age 70 because of the extended delays, but super impressed by how quickly they can turn around an online application. :unsure:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well I share your disappointment for the birthday people and C1 - but I'm still bloomin fuming that anyone necessitating a medical licence whether they're 17 or 70, can't get sensibly timely service. As if it wasn't bad enough having the medical condition in the first place!

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
hope for me then just an ordinary renewal done on line saturday i will see if it comes in a week

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 3, 2013
St.Neots Cambs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I-414
Exp
2002-2006, 2013-current
My replacement license arrived this morning, I sent it off 8-9 weeks ago as it wouldn’t let me renew online which I believe was because my passport needed renewing as well. Sent them both off at the same time, passport was back 2 weeks ago, I didn’t have a medical as I decided I no longer needed C1 as our current Hymer is plated at 3500kg. As I said license arrived today-complete with C1 entitlement……….

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
My replacement license arrived this morning, I sent it off 8-9 weeks ago as it wouldn’t let me renew online which I believe was because my passport needed renewing as well. Sent them both off at the same time, passport was back 2 weeks ago, I didn’t have a medical as I decided I no longer needed C1 as our current Hymer is plated at 3500kg. As I said license arrived today-complete with C1 entitlement……….
result

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Have l got this correct, you sent off the application and had It returned complete with C1, how can that be? Just to say l am pleased for you but it does appear to be in error.

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Have l got this correct, you sent off the application and had It returned complete with C1, how can that be? Just to say l am pleased for you but it does appear to be in error.
Precisely my thought!

It sounds as though your licence renewal at 70, retaining C1 without a medical, might be an oversight on the part of the DVLA? :unsure:

Anyway, glad you've finally got it back. Thanks for sharing your experience. (y)

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If you haven't reached 70 just yet check the expiry date of C1 on your new licence.
You're still entitled until you're 70 so it probably expires on your 70th birthday ....even if it's only a week or two away

Oct 12, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Since 2004
I applied for my >70 licence 2 months before my birthday; had to do it snail mail because of a medical declaration. 31 weeks later and after several unproductive webchats and an hour long phone call I wrote to my MP saying that whilst I sympathised with the Covid issue at DVLA I didn’t understand how the 20% of staff now on strike could be allowed to target a) postal applications and b) those with a medical element (double whammy for me!)
Much to my surprise I received a quick response from a minion and my licence within 4 days? 🙂
(Doesn’t mean I’ll necessarily vote for them next time though 😁)

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
I applied for my >70 licence 2 months before my birthday; had to do it snail mail because of a medical declaration. 31 weeks later and after several unproductive webchats and an hour long phone call I wrote to my MP saying that whilst I sympathised with the Covid issue at DVLA I didn’t understand how the 20% of staff now on strike could be allowed to target a) postal applications and b) those with a medical element (double whammy for me!)
Much to my surprise I received a quick response from a minion and my licence within 4 days? 🙂
(Doesn’t mean I’ll necessarily vote for them next time though 😁)
Waiting 31 weeks is shocking, but well done for getting your MP involved (whatever colour they are) and pleased it had the desired result! (y) Should never have been necessary, however. :(

And your experience is exactly what I was concerned about if I tried to hold on to my C1 entitlement. And since I don't really need it, it just seemed like unnecessary stress in my case. :giggle:

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Sent my C1 renewal off mid June giving my passport number so they (according to the DVLA) could use my passport photo. Got all the forms back early Sept. Sorry cannot process it as no photo. Sent a new photo off 4 sept, still no licence.

Jan 3, 2013
St.Neots Cambs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I-414
Exp
2002-2006, 2013-current
If you haven't reached 70 just yet check the expiry date of C1 on your new licence.
You're still entitled until you're 70 so it probably expires on your 70th birthday ....even if it's only a week or two away
73 Papajohn-so the C1 being still there is definitely a mistake-I had the medical and extended it when I was 70 as our last Hymer was plated at 4000kg.

Sep 22, 2009
nottingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
Likewise sent off quoting passport number, Documents all returned saying wanted photo . Sent back off same day. Still waiting, good job took a photocopy because license has now expired. Will see what the response is if I get pulled

Apr 9, 2019
East Riding Of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
30 years Caravan 13 years Motorhome
Applied early May this year with attached med test and did not get a reply till September( actually received it October) did requested treadmill test mid October and then received a letter mid November stating they had not received results. Rang DVLA, actually got to speak to someone and they verified the letters had crossed and they now had results. He said they would get the licence out a soon as possible. Finally this weekend received C1 licence just as I was going to write to my MP! The sooner they get this system for C1,s online and do away with the paperwork the better as circumstances have proved this system is useless. Just grateful I have it now and they have done the right thing and dated it from this Month end. I am sure that there are those at the DVLA who have more than pulled there weight and I for one am grateful. Good luck to those still waiting.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Sent off my application to retain my C1 entitlement by registered post on the 10th Oct as my 70th birthday approaches. The new license arrived last week, so it took around a month, perhaps they are getting the process back in control.
Perhaps they put yours on top of the pile of others that are waiting. (y)

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I am four months in and still waiting because of minor medical issues that are the same as the two previous applications that started nine years ago, no change but asking for information hence the wait.
My wife applied fir renewal including C1 she had medical but no issues,licence back in three weeks.
The delays it appears are caused by issues that are minor and you are stuck in the system and cannot get any information .

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
I am four months in and still waiting because of minor medical issues that are the same as the two previous applications that started nine years ago, no change but asking for information hence the wait.
My wife applied fir renewal including C1 she had medical but no issues,licence back in three weeks.
The delays it appears are caused by issues that are minor and you are stuck in the system and cannot get any information .
Similar here, I have perfectly controlled type 2 diabetes, excellent eyesight, with specs, and no other issues, passed as ok to drive by GP, 2 opticians and a diabetic consultant. Well into ninth month now since starting the process,
Have given up hoping, just waiting for the wheels to grind slowly on !!
Joe

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
Likewise sent off quoting passport number, Documents all returned saying wanted photo . Sent back off same day. Still waiting, good job took a photocopy because license has now expired. Will see what the response is if I get pulled
It is stated that if you have already a digital licence that they take the photo from that? Did you still have the old paper version?

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Just to clary unless there are any underlying medical conditions once you have gone through the medical and eyesight test (and passed) filled out the forms and it is in the post to the DVLA you are good to go without having it returned.

Sep 22, 2009
nottingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
Dutch 68 yes had digital license and I read it that they would take photo from passport, but, as I said they returned documents and said wanted photo. Am still waiting to hear back from them.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
From the DVLA today

The reminder form you were sent will advise you if you need to supply a new photo.

The link you have provided is correct, if you have a valid UK passport and a car driving licence then we're able to electronically access the photo. As you are applying for category C1, you need to apply by post and supply a physical photo for us to use.

sent the form off 21 st June returned requesting a photo, sent them off again 12 Sept with new photo still no licence. Emailed to ask why got this reply today but no info on when I might expect my licence.

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
My C1 license extension application was processed within a month as detailed in post 15. I’m fortunate in that I have no medical issues, furthermore as I felt the photo requirement was ambiguous I sent one with the application. So in my opinion at renewal, chuck a snap in with your application.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
What I fail to understand is why you can renew your licence at 70 without the C1 entitlement using your passport details and they copy the passport photo. But when you require the C1 entitlement you have to send a photo. Admittedly my photo on my licence was ten years old at expiry, I thought they could use my passport one in only 6 years old.

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
What I fail to understand is why you can renew your licence at 70 without the C1 entitlement using your passport details and they copy the passport photo. But when you require the C1 entitlement you have to send a photo. Admittedly my photo on my licence was ten years old at expiry, I thought they could use my passport one in only 6 years old.
If you look on a D2 form under section E ( your photo) it gives you two occasions when a photo is necessary , first is when you are renewing as it is due to expire within 56 days or has expired
Reason two is if this is your first photo card licence or YOU wish to update your current photo
Therefore the conclusion is if you are renewing with more then 56 days to go to expiry you DONT need to enclose a photo?

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
Here you are
31BA7C43-054D-465D-9A0A-8C54911C177A.jpeg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.