DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Morning all, had a late night last night, showered, glad to report the toilet block here at Grantown still rates as the best one I have ever used, new and clean and warm, dread to think what it must cost them to keep it this warm and piped music

So walked Lola about 11, bed for 11:30, outside temperature 11C, thought sensor was wrong, checked on dashboard, (different sensor) 10C, so much for the chance of snow overnight, went to sleep to sound of heavy rain

Woke up this morning thinking it looked bright outside for so early, checked time it was only 10:20, bless Lola still laid out snoring herself, she really is so well suited to me :D

and we have had a light dusting of snow, not even a covering, looked quite bright so quick dress wake Lola (only kidding) and went for walk up on the old railway, looked like no snow at all up on the hills and looking at sky no prospect of any

So much for my weather predictions, just got back to MH, gone really dark and it is snowing like it means it now, but we have been forecast showers for today so we will see what develops

Oh and temp down to 2C, just wrestling temperature back up to 20C inside, I turn it down to 15C overnight, which I didn't even hear cut in last night, so heating on gas only so kettle can make plenty of coffee water, now back on elec and gas, just got to 18C and I mocked those carrying extra heaters (that will teach me)

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Glad to hear ok David, you could sleep for England.:sleep:
Hope you don't get snowed in, forecast cold spell next week.
Keep the updates coming.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
IMG_0081.JPG

Just off for a walk, need some more black pudding from butcher in town, best ever tasted after Stornoway BP

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Afternoon Dave it really does look pretty there, don't know if you do it or not but half a dozen night light (candles ) will make a lot of difference to the temperature in the van, as long as you have them safe from being knocked makes the van really cosey.

Enjoying following your travels.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
@Carol thanks for the nightlight tip, I didn't know that and will not be telling Bev :D

I have just found that cooking a decent fried breakfast added 3C to temperature inside, now up to 22C and made me feel really cosy (y):)

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
David I mean to use them in the evening when you are sitting relaxing, not over night, they are called tea lights as well, we use those because they so much safer than normal candles. :Smile:

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
David I mean to use them in the evening when you are sitting relaxing, not over night, they are called tea lights as well, we use those because they so much safer than normal candles. :Smile:

I was only teasing, not a great candle fan (y)

But thinking about it another breakfast in the evening isn't such a bad idea and far less soot on the ceiling :D

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
I was only teasing, not a great candle fan (y)

But thinking about it another breakfast in the evening isn't such a bad idea and far less soot on the ceiling :D

But you're away for 3 weeks - so two fried breakfasts a day mightn't be so good for your waistline:D

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Had another couple of inches of snow overnight, now looks very pretty, but camera has a flat battery, will show proof later

Local drama this morning, an ambulance is stuck on hill just above the site, on its way to a pregnant woman (I know you don't get many pregnant men, but I couldn't think how else to end the sentence).

Midwife has been collected by 4 x 4 from camp site so hopefully all OK

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Oh dear fingers crossed for a smooth delivery - was the midwife on her way to the ambulance or just happened to be staying on site?

Now that would've been headline stuff 'man gives birth in snowdrift'
:D

And he would've wanted a bloody gold star for it an' all
smiley_bignews.gif

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Site is always nice with fresh snow
Very wet this morning over at Fort William
Hope all ok with the Pregnancy
When you heading further North David or you just going to stay and enjoy the snow

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Oh dear fingers crossed for a smooth delivery - was the midwife on her way to the ambulance or just happened to be staying on site?

Now that would've been headline stuff 'man gives birth in snowdrift'
:D

And he would've wanted a bloody gold star for it an' all
smiley_bignews.gif

You girls can really make a story out of very little cant you;)

The midwife only used the campsite to park her car (y)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Site is always nice with fresh snow
Very wet this morning over at Fort William
Hope all ok with the Pregnancy
When you heading further North David or you just going to stay and enjoy the snow

I have heard there is more wind due for Monday with heavy rain so predicting some flooding, so will stay here for another night, leave on Tuesday or whenever (y)

Still planning to get to Durness, but only if safe

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Had another couple of inches of snow overnight, now looks very pretty, but camera has a flat battery, will show proof later

Local drama this morning, an ambulance is stuck on hill just above the site, on its way to a pregnant woman (I know you don't get many pregnant men, but I couldn't think how else to end the sentence).

Midwife has been collected by 4 x 4 from camp site so hopefully all OK

I'm sure all will be ok, probably been dealing with those situations for years. Nephew and his wife live between Pitlochry and Blairgowrie quite far out and high, she is due within next couple of weeks but is having a home birth, she says if midwife can't get there she and hubby are experienced in lambing:Eeek:

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Ambulance has been recovered, all parties just left no sign of any panic as BB says above no doubt all in a normal day of a Scottish midwife

Photos show more scenic than dramatic, it looks lovely here, but probably better parked looking out than driving in it

IMG_0083.JPG
IMG_0084.JPG
IMG_0085.JPG

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
David I have just watched next weeks weather forecast on countryfile and I am afraid its wet tomorrow, snow on Tuesday and another storm on Wednesday. Looking on the bright side it settles down the end of the week as the jet stream moves over France but that will put us into a cold spell.
Hope you make it up to Durness, you can tell us all about it if we ever meet up.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
If you don't have to drive in it then stay put.

Always better safe than sorry.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Just had Bev on making sure I had watched country file and telling / asking me not to move tomorrow, that decision has already been made, will look again tomorrow re moving north on Tuesday, might go over to Ullapool save the northern tip for a few more days

There used to be a site in Ullapool, anybody know if it is still there and open at this time of year?

found it, closed till April
Broken Link Removed

Last edited:

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
David
Very wild here tonight at Fort William just opened the door to let the dog out and it was whipped out of my hand and has broken the restrictor at the top and also torrential rain and same forecast for next 2 days
I'm heading down to Glencoe Tomorrow for 2 nights then heading for home
Don't think you will find many if any open over Ullopool direction at this time of year
Take care whatever you decide to do

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We have stayed here at Ardmair some years ago when tugging (in summer) will call them tomorrow they appear to be open all year

Broken Link Removed

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
David just had a look at the website and it looks to me like the caravan park closed till 19th Jan
Nice site and always worth a phone call

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
David
Very wild here tonight at Fort William just opened the door to let the dog out and it was whipped out of my hand and has broken the restrictor at the top and also torrential rain and same forecast for next 2 days
I'm heading down to Glencoe Tomorrow for 2 nights then heading for home
Don't think you will find many if any open over Ullopool direction at this time of year
Take care whatever you decide to do

It is amazingly calm here, raining hard now, will look at weather forecast tomorrow carefully, then decide when to and where to head next

Hope your door is not too badly damaged, sounds like you need to take more care than me (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back