Ducato wing mirrors - improving visibility for tall driver (1 Viewer)

Peli

Free Member
Aug 7, 2022
Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Transit campervan
Exp
Since 2013
Hi again everyone. 😊 I searched and couldn't find an answer to this specific question, so I hope you can help We've been viewing a lot of motorhomes recently and my 6'4" husband - who sits very far back when he's driving - has been having trouble with visibility from the Fiat Ducato driver's side wing mirror. Same issue in RHD and LHD. The side window vertical frame blocks a lot of his view. He's not had the problem in Mercs or Transits but we expect to buy a Ducato van. Dealers haven't been sure how to fix this. Any ideas? Cheers!

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Get a shorter husband 🙄🤭😇

Think you’ve answered this yourself, buy a Merc or transit based van, as I’ve no idea what modification would be required to sort this issue out and then not invalidate a warranty.

FA34424C-373D-46F7-AB68-9D68CF4FF6CB.jpeg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Peli

Peli

Free Member
Aug 7, 2022
Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Transit campervan
Exp
Since 2013
Get a shorter husband 🙄🤭😇

Think you’ve answered this yourself, buy a Merc or transit based van, as I’ve no idea what modification would be required to sort this issue out and then not invalidate a warranty.

View attachment 652230
I'll tell him you said that 😂

We're looking at older vans so it'd be out of warranty period anyway. Would a longer mirror not be legal?

Upvote 0

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I'll tell him you said that 😂

We're looking at older vans so it'd be out of warranty period anyway. Would a longer mirror not be legal?
Don’t think they make a longer mirror, but you could look at getting a spacer made in lightweight aluminium. Would take some adapting so that all bolts would fit, but if it’s just how far out the mirror goes, then it’s an option.

How about fitting a video camera similar to the trucks, there’s a few on YouTube that have them for security and some Funsters have fitted them to help with blind spots when driving LHD vehicles in the UK and again, those RHD vehicles in Europe (mostly A class but they’re weird anyway 😁). Then a small screen mounted means no blind spots.

Upvote 0

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Watch these for ideas, John and Mandy live full time in their vans….

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I’m 6’2” and, in checking out potential replacements for our current MH, have really struggled with being able to see the instruments on the current generation of Fiat Ducato.

I must admit, I haven’t focused on the mirrors so will have to be mindful of that potential issue when I’m next in such a MH. 👍

Ian

Upvote 0

TallGuy

Free Member
Aug 13, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium Drive
Hi again everyone. 😊 I searched and couldn't find an answer to this specific question, so I hope you can help We've been viewing a lot of motorhomes recently and my 6'4" husband - who sits very far back when he's driving - has been having trouble with visibility from the Fiat Ducato driver's side wing mirror. Same issue in RHD and LHD. The side window vertical frame blocks a lot of his view. He's not had the problem in Mercs or Transits but we expect to buy a Ducato van. Dealers haven't been sure how to fix this. Any ideas? Cheers!
Hi. First time I have ever responded to a thread.. Similar situation with blind spot on Ducato (and previous Sprinter Landstar) when almost got wiped out by a vehicle on a motorway - lots of blaring horns and increased heart rate.. Easily solved by Mr Amazon in the form of stick-on mirrors. Just checked, still available, search for "Beeway blind spot mirrors" The advert says it all. Life savers. All for 3 quid !!! Our son also now has them on his SUV

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Peli

Peli

Free Member
Aug 7, 2022
Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Transit campervan
Exp
Since 2013
Hi. First time I have ever responded to a thread.. Similar situation with blind spot on Ducato (and previous Sprinter Landstar) when almost got wiped out by a vehicle on a motorway - lots of blaring horns and increased heart rate.. Easily solved by Mr Amazon in the form of stick-on mirrors. Just checked, still available, search for "Beeway blind spot mirrors" The advert says it all. Life savers. All for 3 quid !!! Our son also now has them on his SUV
TallGuy brilliant! I'll let him know. How tall are you?

Upvote 0

TallGuy

Free Member
Aug 13, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium Drive
TallGuy brilliant! I'll let him know. How tall are you?
Hi. A mere 6'3" but legs like a giraffe - I like to sit with seat base as far back as poss, hence the problem. Son is 6'5" . PS these brilliant little stick-on mirrors don't cause an issue with MOT either. PPS buy 2 packs while you're at it!!

Upvote 0
Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
I’m 6’4, always found the ducato boxer citroen chassis driving position tricky, the top of the windscreen can be just in the eyeline enough to crick your neck or shoulders. ( especially if theres the internal papery blind things)The offset driving position doesnt help either . I finally solved it in my pvc with the addition of lowered seat bases , also means the shorty partner can touch feet on the floor! Highly recommend them , different drive completely, great vision ( really rate the split mirrors on the ducato peugeot citroen)and with a bit of semi air bags on the back and decent tyres the ride is better too.
The joys of being tall…
Or
Get a crafter/transit
Swings and roundabouts really
Just check to see if the bulkhead behind the driver gives plenty of room to extend seat, better without one if you can find such a van. Its often fitted with a cooker fridge washroom that doesnt allow full extension. ( I adapted mine by taking 4 inches off the washroom)
Comfy driving seat, comfy bed, everything else is a bonus!
Good luck with your search

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Peli

Peli

Free Member
Aug 7, 2022
Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Transit campervan
Exp
Since 2013
If it has long arm mirrors swap for short arm and visa-versa.
Or adopt the BMW stance on mirrors and indicators.....look on them as optional extras.
We'll look into the different lengths of arms - thanks pappajohn ! BMW drivers' attitudes... hmm! Think we will steer clear of that option. ;)
I’m 6’4, always found the ducato boxer citroen chassis driving position tricky, the top of the windscreen can be just in the eyeline enough to crick your neck or shoulders. ( especially if theres the internal papery blind things)The offset driving position doesnt help either . I finally solved it in my pvc with the addition of lowered seat bases , also means the shorty partner can touch feet on the floor! Highly recommend them , different drive completely, great vision ( really rate the split mirrors on the ducato peugeot citroen)and with a bit of semi air bags on the back and decent tyres the ride is better too.
The joys of being tall…
Or
Get a crafter/transit
Just check to see if the bulkhead behind the driver gives plenty of room to extend seat, better without one if you can find such a van. Its often fitted with a cooker fridge washroom that doesnt allow full extension. ( I adapted mine by taking 4 inches off the washroom)
Thank you uzsnowdrop! Lowered seat bases... Good tip. The swivel seats we've been seeing have two settings, high and low, but the low setting is still a bit high for me (5'6"). Where did you purchase yours? Cheers!

Upvote 1
Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
We'll look into the different lengths of arms - thanks pappajohn ! BMW drivers' attitudes... hmm! Think we will steer clear of that option. ;)

Thank you uzsnowdrop! Lowered seat bases... Good tip. The swivel seats we've been seeing have two settings, high and low, but the low setting is still a bit high for me (5'6"). Where did you purchase yours? Cheers!
Some time ago I bought the sports craft ones, i cant remember where from! They are incredibly high quality but they are not cheap. That said it completely transformed the drive of my van. I only have one swivel seat and that was already fitted when I bought the van so sorry I can’t help with that.
We did look at a Warwick Xl van, one that had the oven and sink behind the driver seat, it was a comedy sketch trying to get the driver seat anyway comfortable and we had to drop out of that deal.
Love my pvc now its sorted.

770124B7-2518-4504-9C43-523732FFA2FB.png

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
The joys of being tall…
Or
Get a crafter/transit

A lot of these problems and others on this thread are solved simply........

.........get an 'A' Class ;) :LOL:

I even found full width parabolic mirrors to fit the contour of the top of my standard mirrors - they are magic for offset junctions etc.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Peli

Peli

Free Member
Aug 7, 2022
Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Transit campervan
Exp
Since 2013
A lot of these problems and others on this thread are solved simply........

.........get an 'A' Class ;) :LOL:

I even found full width parabolic mirrors to fit the contour of the top of my standard mirrors - they are magic for offset junctions etc.
Thanks nicholsong - we have been looking at some A classes but many of the Hymers are not high enough for hubby to stand up in. How tall are you?

Upvote 0

Deleted User
Hmm. I see this as a mirror position problem rather than seat. Before fixed mirrors there was the ability to loosen all the fixings and swing the bracket backwards close to the window then resecure the mirror. Current mirrors don't afford this adjustment so perhaps something like this might help.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back