Ducato 2.8JTD coolant temperature gauge problem (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 16, 2016
Felixstowe UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer BC595 Coachbuilt
Exp
Complete newbie
Hi funsters,

My 2004 Hymer is based on the standard Ducato 2.8JTD Maxi chassis. The coolant temperature gauge on the instrument panel has recently started playing up. It goes to about halfway when I turn the ignition on, then wanders randomly between zero and full scale. The engine itself is fine with no cooling problems.

I've checked all the wiring and connectors between the back of the instrument panel and the temperature sensor on the engine, but no change. So I suspect either a faulty temperature sensor or a fault/dry joint in the instrument panel circuitry.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem or got any good tips?

Thanks
Chris

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I was told by an engineer, who should know about these things , that for the past 20 years, temperature gauges are just put on vehicles to reassure the drivers.

20 odd years ago, they (the Japanese I think) produced a vehicle without and, under testing, they had so many worried complaints that they reinstalled it.

The modern gauges have really no meaning and, if I think about it, in the past 20yrs have never shown my engine overheating?

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I'm not so sure, my temp gauge sits just below half normally and rises to exactly half under load climbing hills etc.
Only once have I seen it higher than that, last year climbing up the pyrenese when it went mid way between half and 3 quarters.
At the top I stopped before the Bielsa tunnel to let the engine cool off.
Stopping may not have been essential, but if the engine is running hot it could be an indication of a problem that could be averted.
2.8 JTD

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 19, 2021
Nr Wigan, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido A Class
Exp
I disconnected the electrical connector at the rear of the instrument panel for a short period of time and then reconnected it. Worked twice for me during five years!

Had to do this a few times over the years when we had a 2004 JTD. Seems to be a common fault.
Undo the torx screws on the dash, pull it forward enough to get your hand behind, unclip the wire plug from the temp gauge, leave a few mins the plug back in. Sometimes it’s easier to remove the speedo cable so you can pull the clocks out further to get at the plug depending on how big or small your hands are.

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
I had the same problem a few year's ago. Mine was the temperature sensor. My local mechanic changed it and it's all normal now.

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
2.5tdi engine admittedly...... Changed temperature sender on front/side of engine and disconnected dash board behind Speedo..... Waited 10 minutes and gauge worked again.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
None
my 2.8 JTD had the same dicky temperature gauge.. flicking back and forth between cold and hot.. then for no reason at all it started working correctly .. so left it alone..

someone on Fiat Forum , here , found the speedo/temp gauge/fuel gauge head unit had dry solder joints on the circuit board, re-soldered now working ..

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Hi funsters,

My 2004 Hymer is based on the standard Ducato 2.8JTD Maxi chassis. The coolant temperature gauge on the instrument panel has recently started playing up. It goes to about halfway when I turn the ignition on, then wanders randomly between zero and full scale. The engine itself is fine with no cooling problems.

I've checked all the wiring and connectors between the back of the instrument panel and the temperature sensor on the engine, but no change. So I suspect either a faulty temperature sensor or a fault/dry joint in the instrument panel circuitry.

Thanks
Chris
Not sure if this will be of any help but I had a problem with gauges on my Ducato as explained here:
I think the real lesson is that wonderful though Motorhome Fun is, it is worth checking on the Fiat forum when it comes to matter mechanical/electrical relating to the base vehicle.

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
Hi funsters,

Thanks
Chris
Any update/feedback yet?

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
An OBD2 scanner will tell you what the ECU thinks is the actual engine temperature. If it's wandering around to match the gauge, you know it's not the gauge that's the issue.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
An OBD2 scanner will tell you what the ECU thinks is the actual engine temperature. If it's wandering around to match the gauge, you know it's not the gauge that's the issue.
Unfortunately not always the case as some (eg my duke ) have 2 temperature sensors , one for the ecu and one for display. What it will tell you is the ecu is seeing the wrong/ correct data and to worrry or not.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Unfortunately not always the case as some (eg my duke ) have 2 temperature sensors , one for the ecu and one for display. What it will tell you is the ecu is seeing the wrong/ correct data and to worrry or not.
If any readings from the ECU are wonky, then you need to worry. If the ECU reads fine, then it's not the sensors and not the ECU. It'd be a good diagnostic.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Guigsy it tells you if engine ok but not if sensor or display, unless your able to swap sensor connection, assuming they are the same. but worth doing.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back