Dual Nationality How does it work? (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Fragle
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
No need to take the marriage certificate, you both have the same name and address even though you may have a Maltese passport what you are doing is common practise don't worry about it, they know your NI number as well. When you renew your British passport send a copy of the maltese one all they will do is check the name is exactly the same in both, they won't ask you for a copy of your Maltese one but if you dont send a copy it will deny the issuing of the new British one.
Thanks for the advice. (y)

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
We leave the UK on our British Passports and enter the EU on our New Zealand passports so can ignore the 90/180 day rule and on return reverse leaving on NZ passports and entering the UK on UK Passports.

I suspect once the ETIAS scheme comes in that might be a concern using two passports but maybe not depending on which ones are kept on record.

OP
OP
Fragle
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
We leave the UK on our British Passports and enter the EU on our New Zealand passports so can ignore the 90/180 day rule and on return reverse leaving on NZ passports and entering the UK on UK Passports.

I suspect once the ETIAS scheme comes in that might be a concern using two passports but maybe not depending on which ones are kept on record.
Didn't think that was allowed. Or could be that it was advised against that way.

Personally we will us EU passport for Europe. British for everywhere else. One passport per trip

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Didn't think that was allowed. Or could be that it was advised against that way.

Personally we will us EU passport for Europe. British for everywhere else. One passport per trip
Not sure why it would not be allowed Britain would not care which passport I used to enter another country when I have left the UK.

Pugsy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 3, 2018
D&G
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012
What effect does it have on flight booking as they ask about travel documents or passport number ,if you put UK password number on booking and use Irish passport (for example) when you enter Europe? Has this ever come up for anyone?.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
You leave the UK on your British passport, enter and leave Malta on your Maltese passport and re-enter the UK on your British passport.
I do it the other way round. Leave on my Portuguese passport through the EU channel at the ferry terminal, less ques. Hand over my Portuguese passport, my marriage cert my wifes passport insisting that it doesn't get stamped.
My basis for this is I am going IN to the EU as an EU citizen and returning to the UK as a British citizen, and my wife is tagging along because she's just lucky.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
You're leaving and entering the UK as a British citizen, with the rights and obligations of a citizen.
But you are in effect a "citizen" of any number of countries?

And, of course, some countries don't allow dual nationality at all.
True , Spain doesn't but when you give up your passport for a spanish one,after taking nationality,they send it back to the UK ,who send it back to you.
Oh & in some cases when taking spanish citizenship you also have to come up with a new "spanish name" An acquaintance who applied before brexit & passed now has a UK passport in his birth name & a spanish one in his invented one.:eek::LOL:

Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
But you are in effect a "citizen" of any number of countries?
Sure, but in the UK you're British. Can't have you skulking around like Peter Sellers pretending to be Indian, or like Andrew Sachs as Manuel. :giggle:

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
The official UK position seems to be:

All British Citizens have the right of abode in the United Kingdom. If, as a British Citizen, you wish to travel on a non-British passport it must be endorsed to show that you have the right of abode.

Other countries are stricter.

In the US it is a legal requirement, if you're a US citizen, to enter with a US passport.

So too Australia. "All Australians, including dual nationals, should leave and enter Australia on their Australian passport."

Canadians, including dual citizens, also have to enter and leave the country on Canadian passports.

May 26, 2012
Bangor, Northern Ireland, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic CLine
Exp
Since 2010
I worked in Eastern Europe for 15 years and have dual British and Irish citizenship. There is no requirement to use only one passport for any given journey. I have travelled out on a British passport and back on an Irish one and have never been queried. I have also used different passports for different legs of the same outward journey with no problem. There is no database of travellers and when they scan they are only checking against watchlists, not creating a permanent record against your ID.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I sometimes mix and match and never had a problem , UK or Austrian passport , leave UK on Austrian go to EU come back in with UK ,, recently left UK on Austrian went to Thailand ,on Austrian and back into UK on Austrian ,, my Daughter has Triple nationality ,,Thai, UK , Austria but the Thai pasport is almost useless ... I also have trump card in a Seamans Book ,,very useful can make all sorts of problems go away and prioritise border crossings under international law.
Is that still the old red one?

In some countries, South America for instance, you still had to apply for Visa's.
🤔

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
The official UK position seems to be:

All British Citizens have the right of abode in the United Kingdom. If, as a British Citizen, you wish to travel on a non-British passport it must be endorsed to show that you have the right of abode.

Other countries are stricter.

In the US it is a legal requirement, if you're a US citizen, to enter with a US passport.

So too Australia. "All Australians, including dual nationals, should leave and enter Australia on their Australian passport."

Canadians, including dual citizens, also have to enter and leave the country on Canadian passports.
True, life can be complicated.
Although I was born in Australia outback and we left to return to the UK shortly after because my Father's contract was ended.
As I was only a few months old, birth wasn't registered until we arrived in the UK because my parents thought it better for me to be registered British because of the conflicts still going on in the Far East after the war in Europe had ended.

When I returned in the early 70's I applied for dual nationality showing my date of birth and showing that my Mother was in Australia on that date.
(Life was, apparently, very chaotic during the months following the German surrender.)

After a lot of discussion, Dual Nationality was granted with a number of qualifications.

I could stay and work in Australia.
All my licences, driving and otherwise, were recognised
(which nearly got me sent to Vietnam) BUT as I found out much later, should I now wish to retire there, I will have to prove financial & medical independence because I have not contributed enough to the Australian Government.

As has been many times, always carefully read the T&C's! 😄

Jun 2, 2023
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Quartet
Haven't actually got my NZ passport yet, but will follow the process advised many years ago to my wife: leave & re-enter NZ on NZ ppt, enter & leave UK on UK passport. Triangular trip a bit more complex, but the general rule is that exit check will look for a corresponding entry stamp. I have 2 UK passports, and same applies: enter & leave a country on the same passport.

Clive Mott

Funster
Nov 12, 2012
New Milton
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since 1972
Marriage certificate? Why? The same surname is on his and her passports. Same home address. So why would they challenge it?

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Marriage certificate? Why? The same surname is on his and her passports. Same home address. So why would they challenge it?
In today's world, anything is possible.
I would take it, 'just in case' but if you feel lucky........ 🤔

Aug 12, 2020
Chester
Funster No
MH
Van conversion.
Exp
In today's world, anything is possible.
I would take it, 'just in case' but if you feel lucky........ 🤔
English is great at using words from other languages when they fit best: "bureaucracy" is a French word! Bureaucrats love paperwork.

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..

I’m never had to use our marriage certificate, to prove I’m married to my Irish spouse, but then I’ve never needed my V5C or my Insurance certificate or etc etc, but I still carry them incase I do need them. So for me, it’s a why wouldn’t you carry it with the other travel related documents? 🤷‍♂️

Currently in our fifth period of travel in excess of 90 days post withdrawal agreement date. Never had any issue at any border, but I’m ready if I do! 😇

Jan 18, 2022
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 635
Exp
Since 2017
I have a question for anyone with dual nationality.

I have finally decided to apply for Maltese citizenship through my Mother and Grandmother being born in Malta.

This then entitles me to a Maltese passport alongside my British passport but removes the need to do the 90 days rules for myself and my Wife who will be travelling on a British passport when travelling together. I have Never considered this before to be honest and don't necessarily want to go for more than 90 days. It just means if I did 90 days I don't have to wait another 90 before returning. We also found out that this can only be done whilst my mother is still alive and this has only become relevant in the last few years for obvious reasons.

Looking forward I am just wondering how this will work at passport control? Anyone with experience of this? Extra documents required to be carried?

I will hand over my Maltese passport along with my wife's British passport. Will they no longer stamp the passports or just stamp the British passport?

At 91 days on return to UK for example do they then require proof of marriage?
In exactly the same position, mother and grandmother Maltese and have been considering should I apply for dual nationality. Would be interested in your outcome. All the best

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Think it's been said but out and into UK on British
Into and out of Europe on Maltese.
I don't think that's necessary. I had both British and Irish passports but didn't bother to renew the British on expiry. I solely travel on the Irish.

OP
OP
Fragle
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
In exactly the same position, mother and grandmother Maltese and have been considering should I apply for dual nationality. Would be interested in your outcome. All the best
We are booked in at the Embassy next Wednesday. Just hoping we have all the correct paperwork.

Remember you can only do this whilst your mother is still alive apparently.

Aug 11, 2023
Ely, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria 640 Twin
Exp
Since 2015
You leave the UK on your British passport, enter and leave Malta on your Maltese passport and re-enter the UK on your British passport.
Spot on. My wife has a German passport and mine is UK. She shows her UK passport on entry to the UK. German passport on the way out. Border Force have got their act together in Dover and Folkestone with no issues with my passport showing over 90 days. We carry our marriage cert just in case!

OP
OP
Fragle
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
So went to high commission on Wednesday.
A few issues. We had to reapply for my mother’s citizenship as she came over in the 50’s and apparently when she got her British passport she would have had to give up her Maltese citizenship.
So firstly we had to get a new passport and six years of proof from bank statements. Her’s should take 4months. And was free of charge.
Our forms were checked ok fortunately we had all the paperwork and documents and the cost of £200.
6-8 months and our certificates should be at the high commission.
When we collect we will need to hand over apostilled birth and marriage certificates for there keeping
They will then do the passport application £85 on that day up to 3 months wait.
I didn’t realise that my wife can then apply if she wants. Not sure it will be worth it as we will not travel separately.
Hopefully this gives you an idea of time scale. It also took 3 months to get the appointment

Jan 18, 2022
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 635
Exp
Since 2017
So went to high commission on Wednesday.
A few issues. We had to reapply for my mother’s citizenship as she came over in the 50’s and apparently when she got her British passport she would have had to give up her Maltese citizenship.
So firstly we had to get a new passport and six years of proof from bank statements. Her’s should take 4months. And was free of charge.
Our forms were checked ok fortunately we had all the paperwork and documents and the cost of £200.
6-8 months and our certificates should be at the high commission.
When we collect we will need to hand over apostilled birth and marriage certificates for there keeping
They will then do the passport application £85 on that day up to 3 months wait.
I didn’t realise that my wife can then apply if she wants. Not sure it will be worth it as we will not travel separately.
Hopefully this gives you an idea of time scale. It also took 3 months to get the appointment
Thats a huge help and thank you for the reply, obviously a drawn out procedure but will now look further into applying.

Jan 18, 2022
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 635
Exp
Since 2017
We are booked in at the Embassy next Wednesday. Just hoping we have all the correct paperwork.

Remember you can only do this whilst your mother is still alive apparently.
Just spotted your feed, sadly my mother is no longer with us, so might be a one starter.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back